How is Norma?

viking33
PlatinumLounger

How is Norma?

Post by viking33 »

A sweet grandmother telephoned St. Joseph 's Hospital. She timidly asked, "Is it possible to speak to someone who can tell me how a patient is doing?"

The operator said, "I'll be glad to help, dear. What's the name and room number of the patient?"

The grandmother in her weak, tremulous voice said, "Norma Findlay, Room 302."

The operator replied, "Let me put you on hold while I check with the nurse's station for that room."

After a few minutes, the operator returned to the phone and said, "I have good news. Her
nurse just told me that Norma is doing well. Her blood pressure is fine; her blood work just came back normal and her physician, Dr. Cohen, has scheduled her to be discharged tomorrow."

The grandmother said, "Thank you. That's wonderful. I was so worried. God bless you for the good news."

The operator replied, "You're more than welcome. Is Norma your daughter?"

The grandmother said, "No, I'm Norma Findlay in Room 302.
No one tells me s**t."
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

HansV
Administrator

Re: How is Norma?

Post by HansV »

:laugh:

I'm afraid it sometimes really works like that...
Best wishes,
Hans

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

Second what Hans said! July of 2009 when I was in for those syncope episodes, I had to get my SON to get me a status/outlook from the doctor since I would ask a nurse and she would never come back with an answer. Won't say the name of the hospital...

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

In the US, it is a violation of law for any medical personnel to give out information on patients unless the recipient has a valid medical power of attorney and the medical personnel know of that power of attorney and the identity of the recipient. It's covered under the Health Information Protection Act (HIPA). Patients must sign authorizations to release information to insurance providers and to Medicare. Medical personnel may reassure family members, but they cannot give out specific information. In fact, it is a HIPA violation for a hospital to admit that a patient is confined there unless the patient has signed an OK to be listed by name on the hospital census.

Our daughter has a friend who used to work in hospital admissions. I had been admitted for a suspected heart attack and the friend called our daughter before we did. We were waiting for test results before we upset the daughter. The friend would have lost her job had I complained, and she would be liable for a tort action as would the hospital.

There are probably others here who are more expert re HIPA, who could expand on this.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

Just for the clarity of it, Bob, I think it's: Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA).

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Thanks, BigAl.

I was doing that from memory, a very bad memory!
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

Hey Jude
5StarLounger

Post by Hey Jude »

Hip Hip HoorAA!
♫...Take a sad song and make it better . . .♫ Image

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

The only reason it's so vivid for me is that I've been dealing with it in spades over at the nursing home for eight years now. Also seems like every doctor I go to they have to give you a copy of their "privacy practices" and nobody in their right mind is gonna read all that fine print. But, they're satisfying the "law."

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

It's one of the few places left where any privacy can be expected these days, and I'm fearful that with the new health care bill (whose effects we will find out about now that it's been passed) we will no longer have this bit of dignity left.

I agree that it can be quite noisome until all the bona fides are vetted, but I much prefer to have as much protection of privacy as possible. There are far too many things that are invasive of one's person these days under some pretext or another.

Everyone who likes to maintain personal privacy and dignity is not hiding something malicious.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)

kwvh
3StarLounger

Post by kwvh »

Amen, Bob. And with the migration to electronic records and exchange, how long before some brilliant hacker (or untrained admin) publishes the medical records for some high profile celebrity or a previous employer's employees?

BTW - as a Texan I don't recall "31° 6' N - 97° 21' W" being within the Texas borders, unless there has been a recent unreported annexation. LOL

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

It's just a JOKE !
Wasn't meant to be a social statement. :groan: :noevil: :sigh: :sorry: :surrender:
BOB

kwvh
3StarLounger

Post by kwvh »

me two. Sorry

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

kwvh wrote:
BTW - as a Texan I don't recall "31° 6' N - 97° 21' W" being within the Texas borders, unless there has been a recent unreported annexation. LOL
Closest listing to that in a L\L database I saw was:

Killeen, Texas- ( wherever that is? )Robert Gray AAF 31° 5' N 97° 41' W

Have to see if BobH responds with a closer look?
BOB

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

A Google Maps or Bing Maps search for +31.1,-97.35 (the decimal equivalent of 31° 6' N - 97° 21' W) ends up in Temple, Texas, between Austin and Dallas/Forth Worth...
Best wishes,
Hans

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

HansV wrote:A Google Maps or Bing Maps search for +31.1,-97.35 (the decimal equivalent of 31° 6' N - 97° 21' W) ends up in Temple, Texas, between Austin and Dallas/Forth Worth...
Deep in the heart of Texas. :music: :grin:

http://www.janbrett.com/piggybacks/song.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
BOB

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

There is a golf course (Mill Creek) about 10 miles South of me in the town of Salado. On that golf course is a green in the shape of a valentine-style heart. That green has been designated officially by the Legislature as the official heart of Texas. So, Yes! I live deep in the heart of Texas (in Temple).
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)

Hey Jude
5StarLounger

Post by Hey Jude »

viking33 wrote: Deep in the heart of Texas. :music: :grin:

http://www.janbrett.com/piggybacks/song.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
That's more like it :fanfare: :music:
♫...Take a sad song and make it better . . .♫ Image

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

BobH wrote:In the US, it is a violation of law for any medical personnel to give out information on patients...
In Europe we have data protection legislation which protects all personal information. Hospital staff in the UK who responded to this sort of question would be liable to prosecution.
StuartR