Copenhagen Sep3-10 (For a friend)

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Copenhagen Sep3-10 (For a friend)

Post by ChrisGreaves »

:denmark:
My next-door neighbour, actually, and a friend of hers, both, I suspect, mid-50s, are spending a week in Copenhagen.
They think of a thing-a-day including
  • Tivoli Gardens by day
  • Bike Ride around the city bike paths
  • One-day guided bus-tour of the city
  • An art-gallery
  • Tivoli Gardens by night
  • The-castle-mentioned-in-Shakespeare's-Hamlet (?)
  • A canal-tour (like Bateau-Mouche in Paris)
Comments/suggestions from Danish residents are welcome.
I asked her what the national dish of Denmark was, and she guessed "A Danish", but I think she spends far too much time in donut shops.
Given the castle above I suggested a ham-omelette.

I think of Holstein (1868) cows when I think of Denmark, so I think I'd head for a cheese factory. But that's just me ...
There's nothing heavier than an empty water bottle

HansV
Administrator

Re: Copenhagen Sep3-10 (For a friend)

Post by HansV »

I don't think we have active members from Denmark, so...

A walk through the historic city center.

Hamlet's castle is Kronborg in Helsingør ("Elsinore"), some 30 miles north of Copenhagen. One can get there by train or bus.
The royal castle is Amalienborg, in Copenhagen.
Another one worth visiting is Rosenborg, also within Copenhagen.

Museums/art galleries:
- National Art Gallery (painting, sculpture)
- National Museum (history of Denmark)
- Louisiana (modern art), in Humlebæk, some 25 miles north of Copenhagen (could be combined with Kronborg castle)
Best wishes,
Hans

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

HansV wrote:I don't think we have active members from Denmark, so...
Hans, thanks very much for the suggestions. I will pass them on.
Might we add "get active member in Denmark" to the wish list in Lounge matters? :grin:
Maybe offer them a :chocciebar: or free use of the :denmark: for six months?

John Gray
PlatinumLounger

Post by John Gray »

I think Hans missed the "Danish national dish", which I believe to be "Frikadeller meat balls". (The accompanying picture shows that, yes, Jemima, there is quite a lot of art involved in good food photography!)
John Gray

"(or one of the team)" - how your appointment letter indicates you won't be seeing the Consultant...

Bowlie
5StarLounger

Post by Bowlie »

My wife and I were there last September (to see Diana Krall in concert!). I would delete the Tivoli gardens from your list, it's expensive to get in and sorta like the CNE once you get in. Nothing you wouldn't see anywhere else in the world.

But I would add the Louisiana modern art museum to the list. It's on the way up to Helsingør ("Elsinore") and getting there on the train + bus is quite easy (and everyone speaks some English).

Oh ya, if they could see Diana Krall as well, that would be icing on the cake....

They don't call those pastries 'Danish' in Denmark, they are Viennoise!

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

John Gray wrote:Frikadeller meat balls
Thanks John. I've added that/those/them to the list.

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

Bowlie wrote:I would delete the Tivoli gardens from your list, ... Louisiana modern art museum
Thanks Bowlie, I'll pass this on. My guess is that they'll do Tivoli anyways, just because it has a "name" (like tourists going up to the top of the CN tower on a cloudy day and staring down on the cloud bank they saw when they were coming in to land yesterday), and the trip to the gallery sounds like a good 'un, involving bus fares as well as museum tickets (i.e. a chance to chat with the natives)

Argus
GoldLounger

Post by Argus »

In addition to what Hans mentioned, there is also Ny Carlsberg Glyptotek, an art museum in Copenhagen. A lot of works, divided into two collections: one Mediterranean and one of Danish and French art, but also other exhibitions. (Usually I try to avoid linking to Wikipedia, but for a quick look: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glyptotek" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; )

For modern art, Louisiana, as mentioned, is very good.

As for food, though that was your question, Chris, not their :smile: and the "national dish", a short answer would probably be Smørrebrød, but what do I know. Also, do a search for "Danish hot dog" and you'll find some red ones. :grin: (BTW, what's the Canadian national dish?)

Well, actually our archenemy, no I mean, eh, our brothers and sisters, friends, across the Öresund, :laugh: have THE best restaurant in the world (according to Restaurant magazine 2010). From Wikip. (since I've already been there once today I might just as well continue):
"Noma is a two Michelin star restaurant run by chef René Redzepi in Copenhagen, Denmark. The name is a concatenation of the two Nordic words "nordisk" (Nordic) and "mad" (food), and the restaurant is known for its reinvention and interpretation of the Nordic Cuisine."
:whisper: But I think it will take a few months to get a table at Noma.

But from what I've read this summer, the restaurants in Copenhagen are very good now, so I'm sure there will be several good choices.

City tours by bike:
http://www.visitcopenhagen.com/tourist/ ... s/by_bike/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
See also: http://www.bikecopenhagenwithmike.dk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; self-explanatory URL. :grin:

Bus, boat etc. see abovementioned page, at visitcopenhagen, fore more info, examples. Well, I guess, you/they can find the other things there as well.
Byelingual    When you speak two languages but start losing vocabulary in both of them.

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

Argus wrote:In addition to what Hans mentioned, there is also
Argus, thanks for this valuable input.

All: I have printed off 3 sheets of ideas now, so that should keep them occupied, or at least, give them more than enough to pick and choose.

Since they work in the same office I suspect, too, that they will each want a day to do stuff by themselves. 168 hours with a co-worker, no matter how nice the person, can be a bit wearing.
So the extra variety of things to do will be most welcome, I'm sure.