TRISKAIDEKAPHOBIA

viking33
PlatinumLounger

TRISKAIDEKAPHOBIA

Post by viking33 »

So yesterday was Friday the 13th.
The day when as a young teenager, I was literally run over by a car, while playing baseball in the street. Huge gash in my scalp and almost had my ear torn off.

The day when as a lineman for the phone company, I dislocated BOTH shoulders while working at the top of a telephone pole. Years later, they still dislocate, at times, for no apparent reason. Learned to live with that.

The day when I "earned" the Purple Heart for action in that "forgotten war."

Yesterday, I continued the tradition. Went to the doctor for a routine well being check. All was well. "you could run a marathon," said the doc. Decided instead to do some tree branch trimming in the back yard. Felt a little strange, so went into the garage to sit for a bit. Next thing I know, I wake up on the concrete floor of the garage, blood running down my face. Put a nasty gash over my left eyebrow, abrasions on the left side of the face, two fingers abraded and bloody. All this from passing out and keeling over and falling from a chair seat, 18 inches off the ground? Rescue squad is summoned, they check me out. Blood pressure fine, blood sugar fine, pulse normal, no other apparent reason for it. Thought it MAY have been dehydration? A few stitches and bandages, so I look like I just went through the war again. Today fine and dandy, maybe I will go run that marathon.

Just another item to add to my Friday the 13th legend. There have been other more minor incidences on that day but these are the highlights. Good thing I don't have Triskaidekaphobia!
Last edited by viking33 on 15 Aug 2010, 00:19, edited 2 times in total.
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

HansV
Administrator

Re: TRISKAIDEKAPHOBIA

Post by HansV »

Just don't run that marathon on Friday the 13th (the next occurrence will be in May of next year, 2011)... :ouch:
Best wishes,
Hans

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

HansV wrote:Just don't run that marathon on Friday the 13th (the next occurrence will be in May of next year, 2011)... :ouch:
I'll mark my calendar. :drop: :ouch:
BOB

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

viking33 wrote:... Next thing I know, I wake up on the concrete floor of the garage ...
Wow, Big Bob, that's some scary stuff, pal! I hate to say this, but that episode sounds a lot like the syncope episodes that I experienced last year, culminating in a hospital stay about 13 months ago. I would be sitting at my computer at night, get ready to go to bed, get up to go lock the back door as usual, and the next thing I would know I'd be lying on the floor. After having several of those over a period of months, the final one involved THREE "pass outs" in one night, just trying to make it to bed. That was 911 time for me.

The diagnosis in my case was orthostatic hypotension, concluded by something called a tilt table test while in the hospital. I have been on a medication for it ever since and, fingers crossed, have not had any more episodes. Think about it, will ya?

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Time has a way of curing things!

I used avoid anything to do with 13 when I was younger. Kinda like the phobia against putting a hat on a bed - just bad luck and you don't need to tempt fate.

But I got over it.

In 1983, after 22 years of marriage, we had our first and only child at the age of 41. She was born on August 13.

That was the best luck I ever had. Thirteen doesn't faze me any more!

And, yes! We went to dinner with her and her beau last night!
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Belated congratulations on the 27th birthday of your daughter!
Best wishes,
Hans

Leif
Administrator

Post by Leif »

Bob, what you may not appreciate is that according to the laws of the universe, for every bit of bad luck there must be an equal and opposite amount of good luck.

On behalf of all those who have good luck on each Friday 13th, I'd like to thank you for doing your bit to ensure life is balanced.

:grin:
Leif

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

Leif wrote:Bob, what you may not appreciate is that according to the laws of the universe, for every bit of bad luck there must be an equal and opposite amount of good luck.

On behalf of all those who have good luck on each Friday 13th, I'd like to thank you for doing your bit to ensure life is balanced.

:grin:
The funny thing is, I'm not superstitious. It just seems odd that there have been some "landmark" happenings to me on that date! I usually ignore the fact that it is the 13th and go about my business as usual but then I sometimes look back and say, "whew, made it through another one." :clapping:
BOB

Hey Jude
5StarLounger

Post by Hey Jude »

Bob, I for one, am glad you did too!!! Take care of yourself ya hear? My 2nd grandson was born on Fri 13th of 2000 and he has been a jewel!!
♫...Take a sad song and make it better . . .♫ Image

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

Bigaldoc wrote:
viking33 wrote:... Next thing I know, I wake up on the concrete floor of the garage ...
Wow, Big Bob, that's some scary stuff, pal! I hate to say this, but that episode sounds a lot like the syncope episodes that I experienced last year, culminating in a hospital stay about 13 months ago. I would be sitting at my computer at night, get ready to go to bed, get up to go lock the back door as usual, and the next thing I would know I'd be lying on the floor. After having several of those over a period of months, the final one involved THREE "pass outs" in one night, just trying to make it to bed. That was 911 time for me.

The diagnosis in my case was orthostatic hypotension, concluded by something called a tilt table test while in the hospital. I have been on a medication for it ever since and, fingers crossed, have not had any more episodes. Think about it, will ya?
Thanks for your thoughts, Al.
I hope this was just an isolated incident for me. I'm just a thick headed squarehead when it come to things like this. Hope I was\am right with the decision to just check me out and send me home. Not feeling bad today but sore as h**l.
BOB