Unknown symbol

PaulB
BronzeLounger

Unknown symbol

Post by PaulB »

At breakfast this morning, I noticed a symbol that I do not recognize on a jar of strawberry jam. The symbol, placed between the phrases Produit de France and 500 ml, consists of the capital letter "U" enclosed within a circle, somewhat like the copyright symbol. Can anyone tell me what this symbol signifies?
Regards,
Paul

The pessimist complains about the wind. The optimist expects it to change. The realist adjusts his sails.

HansV
Administrator

Re: Unknown symbol

Post by HansV »

It means that the product is kosher. The U stands for "Union of Orthodox Jewish Congregations of America," an organization that oversees the production of kosher food.
Best wishes,
Hans

aekyall
4StarLounger

Post by aekyall »

I never cease to be amazed at the wealth of disparate knowledge to be found here in the lounge!! (most of it comes from one guy though!!!)

Regards,
Regards,
Keith

DaveA
GoldLounger

Post by DaveA »

Hans is known for his FAST 6 six fingers as he is very fast in finding thing at Google and most any other search engine. I feel that he is able to type a single search into at least 4 search engines at the same time and read all 4 at the same time. :laugh:
I am so far behind, I think I am First :evilgrin:
Genealogy....confusing the dead and annoying the living

PaulB
BronzeLounger

Post by PaulB »

HansV wrote:It means that the product is kosher. The U stands for "Union of Orthodox Jewish Congregations of America," an organization that oversees the production of kosher food.
Thanks, Hans. Since the product was from France I thought the symbol may have had something to do with the EU.
Regards,
Paul

The pessimist complains about the wind. The optimist expects it to change. The realist adjusts his sails.