Goose Grease?

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Goose Grease?

Post by Bigaldoc »

Never heard it called that before but with the upcoming World Equestrian Games (WEG) coming up in just a couple of months, our beloved Horse Park folks wanted to keep the horses and people from getting messed with it!

Lexington will be swarming with people (and horses) and the Horse Park IS an attractive place for ducks and geese to hang out.

Goose herding—just another day in the park

aardvark
Lounger

Re: Goose Grease?

Post by aardvark »

Hope they don't ship them north to Ohio!!! We have enough as it is.

Bill K.

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Seems that geese have a lot of folks looking after their rights. I heard on the news last night that La Guardia airport has been unable to get any action taken against the bird population that caused the US Air flight piloted by Capt. Sully to end early in the Hudson River. It seems that the US government is protecting the birds and taking the position that there is insufficient evidence to blame the birds as an imminent threat of danger to airline traffic in the area.

Methinks that, if Darwin was right, we won't be the dominant species on the planet forever.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

Hey Jude
5StarLounger

Post by Hey Jude »

aardvark wrote:Hope they don't ship them north to Ohio!!! We have enough as it is.

Bill K.
This is a truism :cheers:
♫...Take a sad song and make it better . . .♫ Image

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

They've kept them in Kentucky as far as I know. The article talks about a place in the southwestern part of our state.

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

aardvark wrote:Hope they don't ship them north to Ohio!!! We have enough as it is.

Bill K.
The article states that, "we don't understand why they don't all migrate."
Well, they are CANADA Geese, not Canadian Geese, as some call them. A LOT have become used to the handouts and feeding given them here and feel why make the long trek back when it's so much easier to just sit back and enjoy.
Hmm.... sounds like a similar subject of discussion? :evilgrin: :grin:
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

DaveA
GoldLounger

Post by DaveA »

viking33 wrote: A LOT have become used to the handouts and feeding given them here and feel why make the long trek back when it's so much easier to just sit back and enjoy.
Hmm.... sounds like a similar subject of discussion? :evilgrin: :grin:
Here in Renton we have a park that both the ducks and geese refused to migrate and made the park area unfit for human visit, that the park has gotten a HIGH fine to anyone caught feeding these #&%@#* birds. It has paid of, as the other day the wife and I went for a stroll at this park and did NOT see a single of a flock these ducks or geese.
I am so far behind, I think I am First :evilgrin:
Genealogy....confusing the dead and annoying the living

Hey Jude
5StarLounger

Post by Hey Jude »

viking33 wrote: The article states that, "we don't understand why they don't all migrate."
I wish our locals would emigrate to other unknown parts. OH has set up a hunting
season for them in November during certain time frames to thin down the burgeoning
population. A wetlands habitat stamp is required to hunt ducks, geese and other wetland fowl.
These geese have a 6th sense tho because magically they disappear and reappear when the short season has expired.

Lake Arlington is one of my favourite walking areas when I work in Chicago. The following is an excerpt from a local newspaper describing in detail one resident's disgust; "...I live near Lake Arlington and frequently walk at the lake. It is a beautiful place, and it is a shame that people cannot walk the paths, that children cannot use the playground equipment or play in the sand at the beach without being exposed to the health hazards that exist because of the goose poop.

Dogs on leashes are not permitted at Lake Arlington or in the parks in Arlington Heights, but it seems rather ironic that the geese have been permitted to take over where people go to enjoy walking, biking, and other activities, and to just be outdoors in the fresh air and sunshine...."

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Canada geese were a big nuisance in Stanley Park in Vancouver, BC in the late '80s. Some of the gardens there had such large populations that the goose 'grease' became not only noxious but also a health menace. I've not been back in those parts since then, but there was talk of control measures to remove them. They didn't migrate from Vancouver, either - not even in winter because their winters are generally so mild.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

wasbit
2StarLounger

Post by wasbit »

Completely off topic - http://www.thedragnet.org/blog/writing/ ... _coda.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I remember reading about this in an article years ago & thought it might be an urban legend but I could find nothing on the Snopes website (http://www.snopes.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;).

Regards

wasbit
Regards
wasbit

Bowlie
5StarLounger

Post by Bowlie »

BobH wrote:Seems that geese have a lot of folks looking after their rights. I heard on the news last night that La Guardia airport has been unable to get any action taken against the bird population that caused the US Air flight piloted by Capt. Sully to end early in the Hudson River. It seems that the US government is protecting the birds and taking the position that there is insufficient evidence to blame the birds as an imminent threat of danger to airline traffic in the area.

Methinks that, if Darwin was right, we won't be the dominant species on the planet forever.
Bob, they were at 3,000 feet over the Bronx (two minutes after take-off) when they hit the birds. There is nothing the airport or the FAA could do to clear birds from a few hundred square miles surrounding an airport.

Bird strikes happen ever day - usually with little or no damage to the aircraft or their engines. Sometimes they need to shut down one engine and return and very, very, very rarely two or more engines may suffer damage but still produce power. There are only a couple of other recorded case of all engines being completely disabled by birds, and these were military flights which often have a different profile. It is such a rare occurrence it isn't likely to happen again to a commercial aircraft in our lifetime.

Hey Jude
5StarLounger

Post by Hey Jude »

Bowlie wrote: It is such a rare occurrence it isn't likely to happen again to a commercial aircraft in our lifetime.
The phrase "once in a lifetime" comes to mind. May it ever be so :sad:

Charlotte
Her Majesty

Post by Charlotte »

Hey Jude wrote:
Bowlie wrote: It is such a rare occurrence it isn't likely to happen again to a commercial aircraft in our lifetime.
The phrase "once in a lifetime" comes to mind. May it ever be so :sad:
Just hope that in the next lifetime there is another Sully to bring the bird down safely.
Charlotte

Bowlie
5StarLounger

Post by Bowlie »

Well it appears that something is being done near LaGuardia. :crybaby:

Edited because I can't speal wright.
Last edited by Bowlie on 13 Jul 2010, 16:32, edited 1 time in total.

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

At least our local folks took a more "humane" path and MOVED them, hopefully a sufficient distance away where they won't find their way back. I heard someone say that the Kentucky mountaintop location shouldn't become a "hazard" to inhabitants the way it was locally.

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

Bowlie wrote:Well it appears that something is being done near LaGuardia.
Something is also being done in New Joisy.
"The Garden State" if I remember correctly.
I note that "A conviction includes fines up to $15,000 and five years imprisonment".
There's nothing heavier than an empty water bottle

Bowlie
5StarLounger

Post by Bowlie »

A conviction includes fines up to $15,000 and five years imprisonment
I'll let you tell Sully,

Cellmate
2StarLounger

Post by Cellmate »

Isn't this goose/geese problem the reason God made "Hunting?" :grin: