Application Time

Jezza
5StarLounger

Application Time

Post by Jezza »

I have been developing an interface which requires XSL Transformation of some XML and have been using various XML validators but have recently been using XML Notepad.

I have just run a simple transformation and the application proudly announces in its status Bar

"Loaded in 00:00:00.140625"

Which means in did its task in 0.140625 why oh why oh why do they have to tell to a millionth of a second how long it took, I find it hilarious
Jerry
I’ll be more enthusiastic about encouraging thinking outside the box when there’s evidence of any thinking going on inside it

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Re: Application Time

Post by stuck »

It must have been programmed by someone related to the sort of person I come across regularly when they report the result of their analysis at ppb (microgram per kilogram) levels to 3, 4, 5, ... decimal places.

:laugh:

Ken

Sundog
5StarLounger

Post by Sundog »

Back in the day, in Statistics 101, we called that sort of thing Spurious Accuracy, as that level of accuracy could not be supported by the base calculations...
Sundog

Bowlie
5StarLounger

Post by Bowlie »

Why?
Well if they had added a routine to either round or truncate it would have added a lot of code, probably buggy, that would have crashed more often than it worked.

You know, just like some standard features of MS Office.

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

Sundog wrote:that level of accuracy could not be supported by the base calculations...
It can't even be supported by common sense but as someone here/a previous incarnation of The Lounge used to say in their signature, "Trouble with common sense is it's not that common."

Ken