My Morning Medication

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

My Morning Medication

Post by Bigaldoc »

Been doin' it all my adult life but it's only been in my years of aging that I realized the power of a MUG OF COFFEE!

When I arise in the early morning I'm groggy, slower moving than "normal for me" and my ol' surgery corrected back won't stand up straight. To see me moving around at 5 am would make someone think I'm 20 years older than I am.

But then, like Superman going into that phone booth, the coffee finishes perking and I fill up my large mug and take a couple of sips of that glorious hot brew. Wham-O, there seems to be an almost immediate rush of "feel better" that courses through my body. All these years and I never knew how fast acting caffeine could be!

Ahhhhh...     Image

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Re: My Morning Medication

Post by viking33 »

Bigaldoc wrote:Been doin' it all my adult life but it's only been in my years of aging that I realized the power of a MUG OF COFFEE!

When I arise in the early morning I'm groggy, slower moving than "normal for me" and my ol' surgery corrected back won't stand up straight. To see me moving around at 5 am would make someone think I'm 20 years older than I am.

But then, like Superman going into that phone booth, the coffee finishes perking and I fill up my large mug and take a couple of sips of that glorious hot brew. Wham-O, there seems to be an almost immediate rush of "feel better" that courses through my body. All these years and I never knew how fast acting caffeine could be!

Ahhhhh...     Image
So at 5Am you look like you are 60?
Being the "night person" that I am, at 5Am I probably look like I'm about 100 years old. Feel like it too.
The coffee that you brew, sounds like good old Navy coffee. 55 gallon drum of water, throw in a sack of coffee, boil it till it gets like the consistency of sludge, stir it with an oar and serve black and toxic. Ah, memories! :chef:
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

steveh
SilverLounger

Post by steveh »

Bigaldoc wrote:Been doin' it all my adult life but it's only been in my years of aging that I realized the power of a MUG OF COFFEE!
Sorry to stick a pin in your balloon BigAl

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/6422279.stm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Steve
http://www.freightpro-uk.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
“Tell me and I forget, teach me and I may remember, involve me and I learn.”
― Benjamin Franklin

Leif
Administrator

Post by Leif »

Leif

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

steveh wrote:Sorry to stick a pin in your balloon BigAl
Not at all. The article within itself is a bit contradictory. Here's a couple of quotes from within:
    • Professor Peter Rogers, a biological psychologist who led the research, told the BBC: "We do feel a boost from caffeine in the morning, but that's probably due to a reversal of the withdrawal symptoms.

"That alertness you feel is you getting back to normal, rather than to an above normal level.

Professor Rogers said caffeine did have some benefits, such as preventing cognitive decline in the elderly.
The highlighting is mine, ESPECIALLY that last one! Remember, I said "feel better" not a "rush" or "buzz." Oh well, I know how I feel and the Beebe doesn't, so we're OK with that.

:smile:

Skitterbug
BronzeLounger

Post by Skitterbug »

Bigaldoc wrote:
steveh wrote:Sorry to stick a pin in your balloon BigAl
Not at all. The article within itself is a bit contradictory. Here's a couple of quotes from within:
    • Professor Peter Rogers, a biological psychologist who led the research, told the BBC: "We do feel a boost from caffeine in the morning, but that's probably due to a reversal of the withdrawal symptoms.

"That alertness you feel is you getting back to normal, rather than to an above normal level.

Professor Rogers said caffeine did have some benefits, such as preventing cognitive decline in the elderly.
The highlighting is mine, ESPECIALLY that last one! Remember, I said "feel better" not a "rush" or "buzz." Oh well, I know how I feel and the Beebe doesn't, so we're OK with that.

I agree with your assessment about what coffee does for the "Morning Blahs".....I'm enjoying a cup of the good stuff right now..... We have a 5 year old grandson visiting with us and I have to try and keep up! :rofl:
Here's looking at ya...... :coffeetime: and maybe even a second :coffeetime:
Skitterbug :coffeetime:
A cup of coffee shared with a friend is happiness tasted and time well spent.

DaveA
GoldLounger

Post by DaveA »

We use "Decaffeinated" coffee here at our house, and we get our morning boost everyday. :grin: :hairout:
We like to buy the whole beans and grind them fresh for every pot. The flavour/flavor is much better that way.

And NO we do not use Star Bucks or Seattle Coffee (which is now owned by Star Bucks).
I am so far behind, I think I am First :evilgrin:
Genealogy....confusing the dead and annoying the living

DenGar
3StarLounger

Post by DenGar »

Bigaldoc wrote: All these years and I never knew how fast acting caffeine could be!
Google also recognizes the value of caffeine: "Today, we're announcing the completion of a new web indexing system called Caffeine. Caffeine provides 50 percent fresher results for web searches than our last index, and it's the largest collection of web content we've offered. Whether it's a news story, a blog or a forum post, you can now find links to relevant content much sooner after it is published than was possible ever before."

http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2010/06/ ... feine.html

Argus
GoldLounger

Post by Argus »

Bigaldoc wrote: {...] Remember, I said "feel better" not a "rush" or "buzz." Oh well, I know how I feel and the Beebe doesn't, so we're OK with that.

I'm late to the coffeepot.
I agree with you Al, real boost or only "reversal of the withdrawal symptoms", it doesn't matter for me; it tastes good and does good.

From another article:
"While caffeine can give people a buzz, raising alertness, the effect only works in those unused to the drink, they tell."

Well, there are many things that should be used with moderation to get the desired effect. But there are so many positive effects of drinking coffee, as you mentioned.

However not always, which reminds me about this:
"If this is coffee, please bring me some tea; but if this is tea, please bring me some coffee."
Abraham Lincoln
:grin:
Byelingual    When you speak two languages but start losing vocabulary in both of them.

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Hot tea, not coffee, gives me my caffeine fix. Coffee as brewed in the States contains far too much acid to consume in the quantities that I require. Tea, on the other hand, will give me all the caffeine boost I want without the acid bothering my stomach.

In Spain, I found the coffee to be far superior to any I've had here (including starbucks and their ilk). I also found that it did not make my stomach acid. There must be something different in the way the beans are treated, roasted, ground, steamed, boiled - whatever - there.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

jonwallace
5StarLounger
Location: "What a mighty long bridge to such a mighty little old town"

Post by jonwallace »

Since I cut down to one cup of coffee a day (at morning tea :scratch: break) and cut out dark chocolate, my migraines have dropped dramatically. Life, however...

The rest of my coffee breaks, I drink tea with a bit of flavour (ceylon, earl grey or chai). I USED to pop a real coke for that afternoon boost on especially hectic days, but two things put an end to that. Hospital policy is NO sugary drinks*, only diet (bleeechh) and Lab policy is no eating and drinking in the lab (even in offices, like mine). I can only top up when the safety officer has gone home, or is working at the "clinic" (you know the one I mean :evilgrin: ).

*You can buy as much chocolate as you like though. Or bacon rolls, but it's not the same.
John

“Always trust a microbiologist because they have the best chance of predicting when the world will end”
― Teddie O. Rahube

stans
Lounger

Post by stans »

Perking, I haven't heard that in years. We drip at my place:(