Grammatical Correctness

HansV
Administrator

Re: Grammatical Correctness

Post by HansV »

Let's not get into a discussion about politics here - there are other sites for that.
Best wishes,
Hans

Skitterbug
BronzeLounger

Post by Skitterbug »

HansV wrote:Let's not get into a discussion about politics here - there are other sites for that.
It is sad that other sites are not moderated with as even a hand as this one is! We could probably have a fair discussion about anything of interest here. Thanks Hans for keeping us on the straight and narrow! :yep:
Skitterbug :coffeetime:
A cup of coffee shared with a friend is happiness tasted and time well spent.

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

BobH wrote:Therefore, to say "Yes,we can!" is an appropriate usage of the verb; ...
My high school geography teacher Mr. deKurloi taught us what he knew about the coastal people of British Columbia and the salmon there:
"They eat what they can and they can what they can't"
He who plants a seed, plants life.

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

HansV wrote:Let's not get into a discussion about politics here - there are other sites for that.

Hans (and all)!

I cannot let the aspersion cast go unanswered.

My comments, if read carefully, are apolitical. You raised the mantra of the 2008 campaign. I merely used it - because it is so well known and familiar to the world - to further explicate the lesson in grammar. In fact, I found the analogy of the mantra quite perfect for distinguishing the use of the verbs.

As used, the mantra was a statement of intent . . . of ambition and purpose; therefore the use of 'can' instead of 'may' was appropriate and correct. To stop there, however, fails to elucidate the point adequately. Comparing and contrasting the ambition and intent to the result further reinforces the idea behind the choice of grammar.

I made no comments positively or negatively about any political side or any politician. To construe them as such is over-reaching.

I understand and fully agree with the rules and know why we don't allow posts to devolve into political soap boxes. I also understand that 'political correctness' is just another way to suppress ideas and remove freedom of speech. Not to allow me to use the analogy you chose, in my opinion, is unfair and inappropriate.

I would appreciate it if anyone who would like to discuss this matter further with me would do so privately because I don't want to see sides taken and meaningless debate over my intentions waste the group's time. I could not, however, let the implied criticism of my comment go unanswered.

If these sentiments are not welcomed here, please let me know - PRIVATELY - and I'll take my custom where it is appreciated. You shan't have to bar me.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

I fear that we'd end up with the same kind of fruitless discussion as we had about Norton AntiVirus some time ago. I'd prefer to let this subject rest.
Best wishes,
Hans

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

By the way, my post "Let's not get into a discussion about politics here - there are other sites for that" earlier in this thread was not intended as an accusation against anyone. If I thought that a reply went too far, I would have edited or removed it (and sent a PM to the poster).
My post was a request not to let the thread develop into a discussion of the merits of the president of the USA - a discussion that could follow from my remark about his campaign slogan. In hindsight, I regret posting that remark.
Best wishes,
Hans

Bowlie
5StarLounger

Post by Bowlie »

We can (not may) talk about Swiss politics but :yawn: No let's talk about Swiss football! Tied the Italians yesterday 1-1 :wave:

Claude
cheese lizard

Post by Claude »

Swiss tying with the Italian football team. :cheers:
Cheers, Claude.

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

HansV wrote:When I was a student, one of my friends ALWAYS answered questions such as "Do you know what time it is" or "Could you tell me what time it is" with a short "Yes"... :hairout:
And from the comics:
2010-06-06_071910.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

DaveA
GoldLounger

Post by DaveA »

But Al, you did NOT post the last of this cartoon!
What about lunch time?
I am so far behind, I think I am First :evilgrin:
Genealogy....confusing the dead and annoying the living