Soccer World Cup 2010

BobH
UraniumLounger

Re: Soccer World Cup 2010

Post by BobH »

Do you refer to the off-side rule? Basically, when player 1 from team A passes the ball forward to player 2 from team A who is on team B's half of the field, there must be at least two players from team B between player 2 and team B's goal line (that is, not necessarily two defenders). Else player 2 will be deemed to be off-side and the assistant official should signal the infraction.
Yes! That's the rule. I've found it difficult to see the off-side while watching games and frequently been puzzled by off-side calls I've seen. But I'm getting better.

When I referred to 'defenders,' I meant 2 players from the team without the ball. As I understand it, that means the goal keeper and any other player on his team or any 2 players on the goal keeper's team must be between the player on offense and the goal. When play is very close to the goal, it is difficult for me to tell how this rule is brought into play. It seems to me that sometimes it is called and other times it is not. Sometimes the commentators agree with the no-call and sometimes they disagree when I can tell no difference in the situations. Again, I'm certain it is my ignorance of the game.

I'm not really critical of the off-side rule as I can see the need for it. I was merely proposing that technology could be brought into use in determining off-side without negatively impacting the flow of the game and removing much (if not all) of the subjective judgment of officials. I believe that the use of digital cameras and computer logic have advanced sufficiently to make it an improvement for the game. It would require numerous cameras, but they are now relatively inexpensive. True, power or signal interruptions could be problematic but UPS, duplicate facilities, and hardened circuits should nearly eliminate that potential. In fact, I think technology - even with its potential for problems - could be made more consistent and reliable than calls by human officials.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

Soccer, and more soccer. Referee controversy be darned, now we're down to nearing "THE" world championship on Tuesday and Wednesday. Both games are at an excellent time for me, so I hope to watch. I won't say who I'm pulling for but some of you might guess!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

VegasNath
5StarLounger

Post by VegasNath »

Somebody mention the offside rule?

:grin: :evilgrin:
Spoiler
Offside.jpg
:flee: :evilgrin:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
:wales: Nathan :uk:
There's no place like home.....

Leif
Administrator

Post by Leif »

VegasNath wrote:Somebody mention the offside rule?

Spoiler
Offside.jpg
:laugh:
Leif

diegol
StarLounger

Post by diegol »

VegasNath wrote:Somebody mention the offside rule?

Spoiler
Offside.jpg
Is that Carlos Tevez in the Argentina-Mexico game? Or just a lookalike?

:argentina: Diegol

VegasNath
5StarLounger

Post by VegasNath »

I am glad that er' indoors shares my sense of humor.... I sent this to her by email which she found amusing. I followed up by asking if I could blow my whistle and hold up a flag, next time i want feeding.

A step too far. :flee: :grin:
:wales: Nathan :uk:
There's no place like home.....

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

Here's a little (USA biased?) reading from our ESPN's picks for the all tournament team.

Best 11 at the World Cup

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

(Still trying to learn the off-side rule)

Quoting from wikipedia-Offside, there are three conditions which must be met for an offside offense to be called. (I interpret this to mean that all 3 conditions must be met for an offside offense to occur.)
  • First, the player must be on the opposing team's half of the field.
  • Second, the player must be in front of the ball (italics are mine)
  • And third, there must be fewer than two opposing players between him and the opposing goal line (italics are mine), with the goalkeeper counting as an opposing player for these purposes.
Further reading of the wiki yields this seemingly contradictory information:
Offside offense-A player in an offside position at the moment the ball is touched or played by a team-mate is only committing an offside offense if, in the opinion of the referee, he becomes actively involved in play by
  • Interfering with play
  • Playing or touching the ball
  • Interfering with an opponent
  • Preventing the opponent from playing the ball by obstructing the player's sight or intentionally distracting the opponent
  • Gaining an advantage by being in an offside position
  • Playing the ball after the ball has rebounded off the goal, the goalkeeper, or any opponent (italics are mine)
In the graphic below (from wiki) is an example of a player on offense (the blue player in the penalty box) who appears to have fewer than 2 opposing players between himself and the goal line, but he is not offside (per wiki) because he is not in front of the ball.

From this example, I infer that "in front of the ball" does not mean closer to goal than the ball. On the contrary that phrase must mean "ahead of the ball relative to his opponents' end line (goal line)," at least, judging by this example. Although the example shows a dashed line across the pitch in line with the mouth of the goal, I think it merely demonstrates that the blue penalty box player is not closer to the goal line than the ball.

What the wiki doesn't address - and what confuses me somewhat - is the question of whether or not there would be a rule violation if the ball were passed from the blue player in the upper corner to the blue player in the penalty box if the penalty box player then kicked or butted the ball into goal. In my reading of the 3 elements of the rule, there would be no offside offense because there is no player in an offside position (provided the ball does not pass behind the blue player in the penalty box which would place the player 'in front' of the ball).

Because the blue penalty box player in the graphic is not in an offside position - because the ball is closer to the goal line than he is, the last example cited in the offside offense list seems to be inconsistent with the offside position rule. It seems that a rebounded ball would by definition be 'in front of' the offensive player in the graphic. Also, by extension of the end line logic, if any blue player were to advance the ball by dribbling past any of the defending players, there would be no offside provided that the ball always remains between the dribbler and the opposing team's end line.

Please help me here guys! I really DO like the game.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

Skitterbug
BronzeLounger

Post by Skitterbug »

Has the final game been played yet? :grin:
Skitterbug :coffeetime:
A cup of coffee shared with a friend is happiness tasted and time well spent.

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

Skitterbug wrote:Has the final game been played yet? :grin:
No idea, I can't bear team sports!
StuartR

Leif
Administrator

Post by Leif »

Yes - it finished Ospreys 0 : Philippine Hawk-eagles 87

:grin:
Leif

Skitterbug
BronzeLounger

Post by Skitterbug »

Leif wrote:
Yes - it finished Ospreys 0 : Philippine Hawk-eagles 87

:grin:
Now why do I think there is a little birdie whispering in my ear warning me that these teams may be fictional?? :scratch:
:rofl: Thanks for the chuckle! :yep:
StuartR wrote:
No idea, I can't bear team sports!
I don't mind team sports but watching the errors made in judgment by referees can be aggravating. I like golf and count on the players to be honest at all times - even when no one is watching. :yep:

Argus
GoldLounger

Post by Argus »

I think it depends on which country you ask. :grin:
BTW, reminds me of when I saw a baseball game. "Gawd, when will this end? Innings, what's that?" :laugh:
(No, it was quite fun, as everything ... the first time. :grin:)

BTW, honest players in golf, is there such a thing? :grin:
Byelingual    When you speak two languages but start losing vocabulary in both of them.

Skitterbug
BronzeLounger

Post by Skitterbug »

Argus wrote:
I think it depends on which country you ask. :grin:
BTW, reminds me of when I saw a baseball game. "Gawd, when will this end? Innings, what's that?" :laugh:
(No, it was quite fun, as everything ... the first time. :grin:)

BTW, honest players in golf, is there such a thing? :grin:
If a person is playing for "funsies" or "practice" then anything goes, but if it is a competition I would really hope that there are lots of honest golfers and that a cheater is a rarity and hopefully caught at it! IMHO of course! :grin:

Baseball - boring. I went to a game once. The only exciting play happened when I wasn't looking and sadly there wasn't any instant replay available then. I haven't been back.........:nope:

One thing about soccer, it is a busy game and definitely not boring!

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

I don't mind team sports but watching the errors made in judgment by referees can be aggravating. I like golf and count on the players to be honest at all times - even when no one is watching.

You mean like Tiger Woods? :anigrin:
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

If y'all are finished kibitzing and for anyone who isn't bored with it all and still paying attention:

NETHERLANDS advanced to the final game on SUNDAY by beating Uruguay today. They'll play either GERMANY or Spain for the world championship.

The rest of you can go on to other, more exciting things... :flee: :fanfare: :innocent:

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Quite a game, too!
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)

Argus
GoldLounger

Post by Argus »

Bigaldoc wrote:If y'all are finished kibitzing and for anyone who isn't bored with it all and still paying attention:

NETHERLANDS advanced to the final game on SUNDAY by beating Uruguay today. [...]
Holland-flag.gif
[kibitzing/off]
I didn't see it, Al, but some said it was a close call, even though The Netherlands were better. A long time since we saw them in a final.
Byelingual    When you speak two languages but start losing vocabulary in both of them.

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

Argus wrote:I didn't see it, Al, but some said it was a close call, even though The Netherlands were better. A long time since we saw them in a final.
Yeah, you bet, and since they've never won it, my cheering is for the Orange. Germany already has three wins in their resume.

steveh
SilverLounger

Post by steveh »

Bigaldoc wrote:
Argus wrote:I didn't see it, Al, but some said it was a close call, even though The Netherlands were better. A long time since we saw them in a final.
Yeah, you bet, and since they've never won it, my cheering is for the Orange. Germany already has three wins in their resume.
Hi Big Al

Somewhere in this loooong thread this may have been posted before but Paul the octopus http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2010/07/ ... 0535.shtml" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; has correctly picked the winning teams for over 2008 and has only been wrong once, he has predicted all of Germany's world cup wins but for this semi he has choosen Spain much to the chagrin of the German public (to add insult to injury it is rumoured that Paul is English!!)
Steve
http://www.freightpro-uk.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
“Tell me and I forget, teach me and I may remember, involve me and I learn.”
― Benjamin Franklin