Giant spider hides in car door handle

Rudi
gamma jay

Re: Giant spider hides in car door handle

Post by Rudi »

viking33 wrote:If it was really huge, it was the male BW.They are OK, it's those females that you have to watch out for, much smaller. :innocent:
Quite the opposite Bob; the male is only half the size of the female.
Juveniles and adult male Latrodectus are half the size of the females, and are often grey or brown and usually lighter in color than females; while they may sometimes have an hourglass marking on their ventral abdomen, it may be yellow or white, not red.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Latrodectus
Male vs. Female
On average, male black widow spiders are smaller than “>females, reaching only about half their size in length. However, the legs of the male black widow are considerably longer in proportion to the female’s and are marked by orange and brown at the joints. Males may exhibit red and white stripes on the abdomen depending on the species and are more colorful and finely patterned than females.
http://www.orkin.com/other/spiders/black-widows/
And just for sports....(Don't try this at home!!)
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

No thanks!
Best wishes,
Hans

GeoffW
PlatinumLounger

Post by GeoffW »

PJ_in_FL wrote: we had a Black Widow in the closet where the water pump was (home cistern water system) that looked HUGH when I flushed her out from under the pump.
Now that would be really scary.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

I have a policy regarding bugs and small animals. If they are outside, it's live and let live!
If they venture anywhere inside the house they are right up on my Hit List. Anyway possible!
:evilgrin:
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

Jezza
5StarLounger

Post by Jezza »

Jeez that reminds me when I was an Occifer of the Lore in Londinium, on many a night duty boredom set in and the witching hour of playing pranks on each other would cometh. My operator and I were on patrol in the response car and we had just played a prank on one of the other cars (If memory served me right it involved putting a cat in their unlocked car). We had popped in for a quick cuppa when an emergency call came through so we ditched the tea and ran to our car, pulled the door handle and SQUELCH the :censored: had put fingerprint under the handles, fine but when you are driving to an emergency you have to ignore it and go for it. By the end of the drive my steering wheel and gear stick were covered in ink.....we totally deserved it.

BTW The cat was totally unharmed and returned to the same road afterwards :evilgrin:
Jerry
I’ll be more enthusiastic about encouraging thinking outside the box when there’s evidence of any thinking going on inside it

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

StuartR wrote:
04 Apr 2015, 12:27
Only in Australia..
So they tell me!
Cheers
Chris
An expensive day out: Wallet and Grimace

Jezza
5StarLounger

Post by Jezza »

Are you catching up with your posts Chris? Hurry up, you are only about 6.5 more years to read:-)
Jerry
I’ll be more enthusiastic about encouraging thinking outside the box when there’s evidence of any thinking going on inside it

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Hey Jerry, long time no see! How are you?
Best wishes,
Hans

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

Jezza wrote:
29 Sep 2021, 21:27
Are you catching up with your posts Chris? Hurry up, you are only about 6.5 more years to read:-)
Ha! Just the opposite. I have found out how to filter YouTube posts to show only those uploaded "today", so now instead of being last on the block, I can be first on the block - as with the video above - and it's a bit like finding a mouse in one's shoe - all sorts of little critters pop out of the woodwork, as Hans has noted. :laugh: :rofl: :laugh: :rofl:

Good to see you!
70.gif
Or at least, it would be if I could see you.
Here in Bonavista we have just had our third election in 10 months, so it's safe to visit again; not that you ever have visited me.
Just like everyone else :sniff!:
Cheers
Chris
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

StuartR wrote:
Only in Australia...
Confirmed!
Cheers (?!!???) Chris

RonH
SilverLounger

Post by RonH »

Please do not make a big issue over spiders & snakes :groan:
We are heading down to Queensland in a couple of months and staying in a cabin in a forest ... I'm getting scared :boxedin:
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.
The only reason we have the 4th dimension of Time is so that everything does not happen at once.

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

RonH wrote:
03 Feb 2024, 08:39
Please do not make a big issue over spiders & snakes :groan:
We are heading down to Queensland in a couple of months and staying in a cabin in a forest ... I'm getting scared :boxedin:
Ron, Australia is a big country and there are lots of places that one can hide.
Remember what you had to do BEFORE you slipped your toesies into your slippers when you rose in the middle of the night? :sneaky:
Well, nowadays your feetsies are much bigger and they present a bigger target! :evilgrin:
Cheers, Chris
P.S. Don't ever forget that sharks are jealous of humans: "It's to do with the fact that sharks do not have hands, says Dr Chin." C

RonH
SilverLounger

Post by RonH »

Chris, I remember so well the Bull ant in my beach shoe ... how can one forget :flee:
... now where are my 'calm me down' pills
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.
The only reason we have the 4th dimension of Time is so that everything does not happen at once.

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

RonH wrote:
03 Feb 2024, 11:47
... now where are my 'calm me down' pills
They are on the lower shelf in the medicine cabinet.
But turn on the bathroom light as you go in. The light-switch is roughly where the taipan is hanging from the shower curtain rail.
Cheers, Chris
P.S. Whatever you do, don't make a Rong move! C

GeoffW
PlatinumLounger

Post by GeoffW »

ChrisGreaves wrote:
02 Feb 2024, 13:10
StuartR wrote:
Only in Australia...
Confirmed!
Cheers (?!!???) Chris
I was surprised that a local beauty (there's probably ly one within 200m of me now) wasn't on that list. But I see that this one isn't on that list of painful cteatures because it's painless. Extremely lethal, but painless. (Also extremely timid, so very unlikely to bite).

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

GeoffW wrote:
03 Feb 2024, 13:18
I was surprised that a local beauty (there's probably ly one within 200m of me now) wasn't on that list. But I see that this one isn't on that list of painful cteatures because it's painless. Extremely lethal, but painless. (Also extremely timid, so very unlikely to bite).
Hi Geoff. Another reason that you local shire prize-winner was not listed was that the list I linked to was a "top TEN" list.

Your Blue-ringed octopuses :kitty: are almost certainly somewhere in the top 200.

We should note that Ron DOES remember the Bull Ant, but there again, that came in at number ten, nowhere near number nine, he narrated alliteratively.
Cheers, Chris

GeoffW
PlatinumLounger

Post by GeoffW »

ChrisGreaves wrote:
03 Feb 2024, 13:26

Hi Geoff. Another reason that you local shire prize-winner was not listed was that the list I linked to was a "top TEN" list.

Your Blue-ringed octopuses :kitty: are almost certainly somewhere in the top 200.
That was a list of painful bites, and the octopus doesn't rate on this scale. Its bite is painless. People may not realise they've been bitten until they start to have trouble breathing.

But they can be lethal. There's enough toxin in one to kill 26 adult humans in minutes.

Amelia43
StarLounger

Post by Amelia43 »

As a child I lived in a part of Sydney where funnelweb and trapdoor spiders ran rampant. The funnelwebs had a nasty habit of entering homes and hiding in shoes, beds and in baby bassinets (yes-there were some fatalities- this was in the days before an antivenom had been created).
I recall standing on the couch in the lounge room, with my younger brother beside me also screaming, while my tiny and not usually heroic mother battled a funnelweb with a broom for over an hour. The beast kept rising up on its rear legs and attacking the broom. Feisty maternal heroism won the day.
Not long after I ventured into the garden and sat on a bull ant nest- the agony of the multiple stings was outweighed by my conviction that I had been bitten by a funnelweb spider and wasn't long for this world.
Still rather wary of creatures with eight legs and large ants................

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

Jezza wrote:
29 Sep 2021, 21:27
I'm going to die in 2031?
:sad: Chris :evilgrin:

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

Amelia43 wrote:
04 Feb 2024, 05:29
As a child I lived in a part of Sydney where funnelweb and trapdoor spiders ran rampant.
I'm glad that you made the distinction. Trapdoor spiders I saw ONLY outside, holes with trapdoors were in dry sandy, or fine-dust ground. We had trapdoor spiders on the sand plain at Ghooli, just eight miles away, but I don't recall seeing any in our yard on the quartz ridge at Southern Cross.
while my tiny and not usually heroic mother battled a funnel-web with a broom for over an hour. The beast kept rising up on its rear legs and attacking the broom. Feisty maternal heroism won the day.
Maybe the funnel-web was smart enough to know the law of the jungle - never come between a mother and her offspring.
and wasn't long for this world.
But see this post.
Still rather wary of creatures with eight legs and large ants................
I once had four great aunts, but they lived in another storey ... :groan:

Cheers, Chris