Meeting software

GeoffW
PlatinumLounger

Meeting software

Post by GeoffW »

I couldn't find an appropriate section so I'll post here.

I once had a Skype call arranged from another country. I was emailed an invitation with a range of suitable times; I clicked on the link and chose a suitable time from those listed, with the listed times shown in my time zone.

I haven't been able to find a comparable site. Many only show a range of times- the recipient doesn't have a chance to choose a suitable time (these are mostly one on one meetings).

The site needs to be accessible from multiple platforms, so a phone app is not suitable. A Flash dependant site would similarly be unsuitable. It needs to send an email when the person who arranges the call chooses a range of times.

If anybody knows which site was being used, or could be used, it would be very helpful.

Thank you.

Rudi
gamma jay

Re: Meeting software

Post by Rudi »

Our company uses WebEx to range for online meetings with audio and video. WebEx has the ability to invite recipients to the meeting and AFAIK it deals with time zone differences too. Its worth an investigation?...

Alternatively, TimeAndDate.com's Event Time Announcer may have been used?
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

Another only feature that does what you refer to...

Doodle
As for your participants:
Doodle automatically sets the correct time-zone for each of your participants. Your time options will be displayed corresponding to where they are located (again according to their IP address or Doodle account setting).

E. g. you set up a poll in San Francisco and propose e. g. 10 am. A participant who lives in London will see 6 pm.

The participants open the participation-link and see a time-zone pulldown above the poll. There they could change their time-zone in case it is not correct.
And to inundate you with 16 more possible options....
Regards,
Rudi

GeoffW
PlatinumLounger

Post by GeoffW »

Thanks Rudi. I'm working through those.

I didn't state- I would really like a free version, as the people who are going to use it don't have very much money at all. WebEx appears quite good, but there's a cost.

The best I've found so far which fits is actually two sites- timeanddate.com to determine time zone, and meetingwizard.com to set up the meeting. Those two in one site would be ideal.

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

Let us know if any of those you are working through fits the bill.
If not I can propose some more...
Regards,
Rudi

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

GeoffW wrote:
08 Feb 2015, 01:03
I couldn't find an appropriate section so I'll post here.
@Geoff: How did you get on? What did you use?

I couldn't find any other thread about WebEX, so I'll post here, late again, but may be useful for someone contemplating WebEx :grin:
I have five minutes ago got off the "screen/phone" via WebEx.
FWIW the operator was in Toronto, I am in Bonavista, and we were looking for Windows (I know, I know, ...) available in St John's.

The email arrived this morning suggesting 3:30pm for a meeting, and I was reluctant to add yet more software, at such short notice, to my laptop, but clicked on the link anyway.
The package downloaded 416KB, installed, and then ran my browser with a web page fifteen minutes ahead of the meeting time (3:30pm my time).
At 3:31, while I was busy building software with paper-and-pencil, the dulcet tones came through ("are you there?") and a quick Alt-Tab put me in business.
Piece of cake.

I could probably have done better screen management at my end, but was not concerned at reading the fine print in the sub-window (which was her screen) with details of Windows, because we had agreed that she would email the page links to me so that I could view them in the comfort of my own home.

All in all this worked extremely well, better than I remember a free hookup that I was using about 15 years ago, whose name I have forgotten.

Cheers, Chris
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
There's nothing heavier than an empty water bottle

GeoffW
PlatinumLounger

Post by GeoffW »

Thanks Chris. That was for somebody overseas, and it was some years ago. I can't remember what I suggested, and I don't know what he uses now. Judging by when he messages me from time to time, nothing at all.

PJ_in_FL
5StarLounger

Post by PJ_in_FL »

Chris,

I don't have anything constructive to add (as usual) about the conferencing software, but I will say you have good taste in windows! Going with energy efficient windows really made a difference in our house, cutting our utility bill by more than half when combined with an up to date AC system.
PJ in (usually sunny) FL

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

PJ_in_FL wrote:
23 Apr 2022, 13:39
...Going with energy efficient windows really made a difference in our house...
Thanks PJ. I have replied in a new topic.
Cheers, Chris
There's nothing heavier than an empty water bottle