I think I've caught the Jezza virus

TonyE
3StarLounger

I think I've caught the Jezza virus

Post by TonyE »

As some of you know, I do a lot of walking. I think I may have been infected with the Jezza virus as recently I have started to run. Image

So far I only have mild symptoms, after walking a few miles I suddenly feel the urge to run, and run about a mile or two then go back to a walking. Later on in the walk I start running again, this process will repeat itself several time over the 15-20 mile walk though I run a bit less each time :grin:
Is there no cure or am I slowly turning into a runner? On the bright side the walks are going quicker.

It gets worse, before I could stop myself I challenged a friend to run a marathon and said I would run it with him. He took me up on the challenge.
Tony

Leif
Administrator

Re: I think I've caught the Jezza virus

Post by Leif »

A cold Guinness should help. If not, repeat until all symptoms have disappeared. :grin:
Leif

TonyE
3StarLounger

Post by TonyE »

Leif wrote:A cold Guinness should help. If not, repeat until all symptoms have disappeared. :grin:
The symptoms occur whilst I am out walking, so the next time I go out I will strap a barrel of Guinness to my back. I may be carrying some extra weight but it will be worth it :cheers:
Tony

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

If it gets really bad, I'm sure some of us would be willing to come over and make sure that your intake of Guinness is adequate... :grin:
Best wishes,
Hans

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

Could you use something like a bicycle chain to chain your leg to the computer table or desk until the "urge" went away?

ImageImage

johbot
2StarLounger

Post by johbot »

Tony, welcome to the running world!!
Don't worry about the breaking into running. Just enjoy. Soon enough you'll find yourself running nearly all the time and occasionally breaking into walking. In the meantime, you will find that your mind runs free. You'll see the world in a different light and you'll be amazed at the thoughts and ideas you have while you are out there.
And best of all, you'll appreciate a guiness or two after the run.
Johana

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

TonyE wrote:As some of you know, I do a lot of walking. I think I may have been infected with the Jezza virus as recently I have started to run. Image

So far I only have mild symptoms, after walking a few miles I suddenly feel the urge to run, and run about a mile or two then go back to a walking. Later on in the walk I start running again, this process will repeat itself several time over the 15-20 mile walk though I run a bit less each time :grin:
Is there no cure or am I slowly turning into a runner? On the bright side the walks are going quicker.

It gets worse, before I could stop myself I challenged a friend to run a marathon and said I would run it with him. He took me up on the challenge.

If your time for walking a mile averages 20 minutes over the whole of your stroll, then you spend between 5 and 7 hours walking per trip (15-20 miles). Where do you find the time, much less the energy for that?

I remember doing a 20 mile hike for a BSA merit badge (more than 50 years ago - closer to 60, now :sad: ) and even at my then tender years, I recall being worn beyond much else.

Congratulations on your accomplishments.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

TonyE
3StarLounger

Post by TonyE »

BobH wrote:If your time for walking a mile averages 20 minutes over the whole of your stroll, then you spend between 5 and 7 hours walking per trip (15-20 miles). Where do you find the time, much less the energy for that?
A 15-20 mile walk takes me between about 4 and 5 1/2 hours. I work 12 hour shifts, working for 4-5 days and then have 4-5 days off. I am usually out at least 3-4 times on those days off.

I will be getting a bike soon, so when I am not running or walking, I will be cycling. At least with cycling I will be able to get back quickly for the Guinness :grin:
Tony

DaveA
GoldLounger

Post by DaveA »

TonyE wrote: At least with cycling I will be able to get back quickly for the Guinness :grin:
Or carry more onboard the bike. :cheers:
I am so far behind, I think I am First :evilgrin:
Genealogy....confusing the dead and annoying the living

jstevens
GoldLounger

Post by jstevens »

Tony,

Just think you can run one day and bike the other or bike then run (I think the Guinness is getting to me).

I always said I would stop at 10 miles and found myself slowing increasing the distance. I had no intention of ever going any farther. Well something happened, now I'm at 13 miles and thinking of going farther. I must have the bug as well.

I guess you'll know when you have gone too far; you'll hit the wall :woops:

Regards,

John
Cough, Wheez, Sniffle
Regards,
John

SteveH2508
NewLounger

Post by SteveH2508 »

Officer Training 101

"Running is undignified and it panics the men!"
Access/Excel Dabbler
Windows XP SP3/Windows 7/O2K/O2007

Cellmate
2StarLounger

Post by Cellmate »

Leif wrote:A cold Guinness should help. If not, repeat until all symptoms have disappeared. :grin:
:usa: I'm a native-born American, and I know that this "cold Guinness" stuff is WRONG! :cop: :cranky:

Cellmate

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Guinness is usually served at "cellar temperature", i.e. colder than room temperature but warmer than a domestic refrigerator...
Best wishes,
Hans

Goshute
3StarLounger

Post by Goshute »

HansV wrote:warmer than a domestic refrigerator...
I looked everywhere and I can't buy a feral refrigerator. :rimshot:

(Sorry, been a long day where my boss's boss keeps changing the parameters on a model I'm building to the point where my brain is fried and I'm ready to scream at him. :groan:ers are my last refuge.)
Goshute
I float in liquid gardens

johbot
2StarLounger

Post by johbot »

Feral joggers (http://www.griffithferals.org.au) know about feral refrigerators!

They're the ones that don't need to be plugged in.

Don Wells
5StarLounger

Post by Don Wells »

HansV wrote:Guinness is usually served at "cellar temperature", i.e. colder than room temperature but warmer than a domestic refrigerator...
As sold in Canada, a can of Guinness draught is marked,
    "BREWED IN IRELAND
    BEER-SERVE EXTRA COLD"
Regards
Don

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

Guinness in cans is a totally different matter. Best avoided.
StuartR

Samantha
3StarLounger

Post by Samantha »

StuartR wrote:Guinness in cans is a totally different matter. Best avoided.
I usually keep a 4-pack of Guinness Draught cans around as a base for cooking stews and hearty soups. But nobody ever sneaks one to drink, warm or cold!
Samantha