Daylight Savings Time

Hey Jude
5StarLounger

Daylight Savings Time

Post by Hey Jude »

Considering that DST begins this Sunday morning, here's a neat site that has manuals for all makes/models of those digital gadgets with which we have graced our homes.
http://www.retrevo.com/setyourclock
♫...Take a sad song and make it better . . .♫ Image

Samantha
3StarLounger

Re: Daylight Savings Time

Post by Samantha »

Thanks for the reminder that DST is upon us once again.

It's been a long time since I've had to worry about changing the time on electronic devices. My cable box, computers and cell phones all automatically adjust their times with the coming and going of daylight savings time. My DVD player doesn't display a clock, and I long ago gave up setting the clock on the microwave each time the power flickered.

Besides, I am still firmly an analog-time kind of person, so I often find myself turning around from the computer to check the time from the clock on the wall. I can glance at an analog clock (even one without any numbers on its face) and know exactly what time it is, but find myself translating a digital display to a mental analog image.
Samantha

Samantha
3StarLounger

Post by Samantha »

From a previous thread: Just wondering...
Hey Jude wrote:In my house there are no less than 50 key-wound antique clocks which are off-set to ding, ring, dong, clang, cuckoo etc. so the cacaphony isn't too overwhelming.
Jude, do you adjust your key-wound clocks twice a year for the time change? If so, how long does it take and how do you determine how much to offset each one?
Samantha

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Hey Jude!

Have you ever visited the Clock Museum at Old Sturbridge Village in MA? (I hope it's still there but I haven't been there since the early '70s.) If you haven't been, you should make it a point to visit if you are in the area. Be sure you are there on the hour and stick around for 10 or so minutes. They set clocks with different tones or unique chimes to go off on their own and when they have worked through them all the other clocks chime simultaneously. It is the most amazing sound I've ever heard. Heck, just listening to hundreds and hundreds of antique clocks all ticking simultaneously is a unique experience.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

I'm anxiously awaiting what happens to my (just past) Christmas gift! My wife, bless her heart, with "help and guidance" from me, bought me a new titanium wristwatch for Christmas. It's from a company called Stauer who's ad I happened to stumble on in a magazine. Most of their stuff is not of interest to me but this watch is "powered" by the atomic clock in Boulder. So far in just over two months, it's doing fine, deals with the date fine but I'm waiting to see if it will change overnight!

:scratch:

Edited Sunday morning: Yep, it adjusted automatically!
2010-03-13_091336.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Bigaldoc on 14 Mar 2010, 11:31, edited 1 time in total.

Hey Jude
5StarLounger

Post by Hey Jude »

Samantha wrote: Jude, do you adjust your key-wound clocks twice a year for the time change? If so, how long does it take and how do you determine how much to offset each one?
Yes 2x a year but it doesn't take as long as you think :grin: In the Fall-back mode, all the key-wound pieces are stopped on Saturday night for one hour between 11-12 pm so they are adjusted prior to going to bed. Tonight all clocks will be advanced one hour prior to midnight so when Sunday morning rolls around they are all correct. The offset amount is already pre-determined by the time currently showing on each face. It's easy advancing an hour and maybe takes about 15 min total. Offsetting can be just a matter of 15-20 seconds or as much as 2-5 minutes apart. It all depends on the proximity to the others and positioning for an ear-pleasing environment. As far as the cuckoos are concerned (8 of these), these also are just advanced one hour. My granddaughter loves waiting for and counting the cuckoos during suppertime. Now that she is 5, she will be permitted to help pull the chains as some are 8-day with heavy weights. Some are ornamental and just tick. There are novelty clocks on dressers and night stands that play music boxes with dancing ballerinas while ticking away the hours.

I posted that link because several years ago I had gotten hubby a couple of really neat chronographs. When it came time to reset them, he couldn't find the instructions; I promptly Googled the make/style etc. and found the complete manual online so printed out the specific page for the function switches. He has several for sale at the local floral shop so I'll have to remind him to advance them, but since the shop isn't open on Sundays, it won't be a problem.

I've always been partial to analog as opposed to digital. For one thing analog is kinder on my vision :laugh:

Bob, no I've never been to that particular clock museum, however in Columbia, PA (near York) is The NAWCC (National Association of Watches and Clock Collectors) museum http://www.nawcc.org/index.php/museumlibrary I've visited that when we lived in the area and always enjoyed being around on the half and full hour strikes. Offsetting is key to ear-pleasing sounds. The ticking is the most relaxing sound I know now. Going antiquing for heritage pieces is a favourite pastime :rofl:
♫...Take a sad song and make it better . . .♫ Image