I love Paris in ...

Skitterbug
BronzeLounger

Re: I love Paris in ...

Post by Skitterbug »

Bowlie wrote:She has since become Buddhist and lives in a Monastery in the Rocky Mountains, (but that is another story!)
I agree with Big Al - I hope you share this story soon! :yep:
Skitterbug :coffeetime:
A cup of coffee shared with a friend is happiness tasted and time well spent.

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

stuck wrote:Way to go! My first car was a Ford Anglia. It looked just like the one from Harry Potter, same colour! If I'd known it was going to be nearly famous one day I wouldn't have taken it to the scrap yard when I gave up the unequal struggle of making it road worthy.
Here's mine, in front of a little cafe near Orleans where I proposed to Billie.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

Bigaldoc wrote:Here's mine, in front of a little cafe near Orleans where I proposed to Billie.
It might take me a while but I'll see if I can dig out a picture of mine. If I can, I'll start a new thread.

Ken

Jezza
5StarLounger

Post by Jezza »

Here is where Mrs J and I proposed.....X marks the spot, I'll let you decide where it was and why X was my second choice
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jerry
I’ll be more enthusiastic about encouraging thinking outside the box when there’s evidence of any thinking going on inside it

steveh
SilverLounger

Post by steveh »

First observation is that it looks like a ferry terminal somewhere, the X seems to be outisde of the car parking area so might suggest (a) car broken down, (b) no tickets to get in, (c) forgot passports.

Will have a better ponder during the day
Steve
http://www.freightpro-uk.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
“Tell me and I forget, teach me and I may remember, involve me and I learn.”
― Benjamin Franklin

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

It looks like the vehicles are all driving on the right, so presumably this is not the UK
StuartR

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

jezza wrote:Here is where Mrs J and I proposed.....X marks the spot, I'll let you decide where it was and why X was my second choice
Where it was is easy, the picture is the view from the top of the Eiffel Tower looking down on Pont d'lena.

As for why it was second choice, :scratch: , how about... you took one look at the huge queues for the lifts to the top of the Tower, decided you couldn't wait another two hours to pop the question so asked then and there, where you were standing.

(well, it's a theory)

Ken

Jezza
5StarLounger

Post by Jezza »

Ken gets the :barre de chocolat:
Spoiler
It was indeed Pont d'lena, it was my great plan to do it at the top of the Eiffel Tower but I didn't know Miss J well enough at that time to know she was scared of heights
Jerry
I’ll be more enthusiastic about encouraging thinking outside the box when there’s evidence of any thinking going on inside it

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

I don't blame her, Jerry! I didn't know that I would not like "heights" until Billie and I went up there! Whew, I couldn't wait to get DOWN! The next time I encountered such a feeling was when we took our nine year old son to the top of our beloved Twin Towers in NYC. And it was a windy day to boot...

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

jezza wrote:Ken gets the :barre de chocolat:

It was indeed Pont d'lena, it was my great plan to do it at the top of the Eiffel Tower but I didn't know Miss J well enough at that time to know she was scared of heights
ooo! yum, yum, :thankyou:

I nearly suggested being scared of heights as the reason but thought that was too obvious :laugh:

Mrs S is non too keen of heights as well but she would have come with me to the top (because she loves me, ahh!) when we were there last year but the queues were over an hour long so we gave it a miss. Next time I'm in Paris though I plan to go to the top at night. I reckon that might be a more interesting view than in daylight.

Ken

Jezza
5StarLounger

Post by Jezza »

Jezzarette 2 and I did a night time excursion up there last year leaving Mrs J and Jezzarette 1 cowering on the ground, a fine sight.

Now for a science question when you go up there as I couldn't work it out. The tower has 8 lights that beam out at the top that "rotate"giving the illusion that is 4 light beams continually revolving around. Looking down the length of the beam it gives the illusion that it stops at a fixed distance. If they are parabolic why does it just seem to stop and not taper out along the length?
Jerry

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

because a parabolic reflector produces a parallel beam of light, which attenuates at the same rate across its diameter. Thus light at the edges 'stops' at the same distance from the source as light in the centre.

Ken
PS mind you it must be a very well made parabolic mirror reflector to keep the beam parallel over such a distance, perhaps there is some sort of other lens in front of it to focus it down a bit.