for a minute I thought I was in LA

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

for a minute I thought I was in LA

Post by stuck »

Earlier today, my neighbour got into her car, drove it off her drive, stopped at the house next door, switched off the engine, got out of her car and knocked on the door of the house she'd driven to.
Spoiler
OK, when no one answered her knock she did then return to her car and drive off into the distance
Ken

HansV
Administrator

Re: for a minute I thought I was in LA

Post by HansV »

:laugh:
Best wishes,
Hans

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

stuck wrote:
26 May 2023, 16:31
Earlier today, my neighbour got into her car, drove it off her drive, stopped at the house next door, switched off the engine, got out of her car and knocked on the door of the house she'd driven to.
It did happen once in London. I remember a scene from AbFab where the limo went from one side of the street to the other (well, OK, fifty yards up the road) to drop our two lovelies at the space for a manicure.
Lucky for you I can't find the clip right now, or that would be the waste of another afternoon.
Cheers, Chris
An expensive day out: Wallet and Grimace

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

It also happens in the film 'LA Story'. There's a scene where Steve Martin walks from his door to his car on the street, drives next door, then walks to the door. He walks about three times the distance he drives.

Ken

GeoffW
PlatinumLounger

Post by GeoffW »

My sister frequently ln/does this.

She lives on a farm, and she's a 15 minute drive from her next door neighbours.

And she's not even in the outback, where it can be several hours to the people next door.

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

stuck wrote:
26 May 2023, 18:22
It also happens in the film 'LA Story'. There's a scene where Steve Martin walks from his door to his car on the street, drives next door, then walks to the door. He walks about three times the distance he drives.
Not to be outdone, Bill Bryson writes in, I think, "Notes from a small island", or it might be a different book ("Neither Here nor There"?) where he re-lives his first years in the UK, about a few Undergoround [sic] routes whereby you can send unwitting soon-to-be-enemies off an a three or four train sequence of trips/interchanges and end up about a hundred yards from where you started.
I know I have the book here; I re-read it last year. I really should get my bookshelves organized. As soon as I have unpacked my VHS/DVD collection, which I may as well do after I have repaired the VHS player mechanism on the VHS/DVD player ...
Cheers, Chris

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

ChrisGreaves wrote:
26 May 2023, 20:15
...repaired the VHS player mechanism...
I was going to offer you a fully working VHS player that's sitting unused in my garage but it will use PAL coding and North American use NSTC so it would be of no use to you.

Sorry,

Ken

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

stuck wrote:
26 May 2023, 21:32
ChrisGreaves wrote:
26 May 2023, 20:15
...repaired the VHS player mechanism...
I was going to offer you a fully working VHS player that's sitting unused in my garage but it will use PAL coding and North American use NSTC so it would be of no use to you.
Thanks Ken; it sure would've been handy. I forgot about emptying last year's compost bins and resurrecting them on the western fence line. Grass Clippings deliveries begin next week.
If the rain stops.
Not that I'm complaining ...
Cheers, Chris
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.