anti-rust paint

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

anti-rust paint

Post by ChrisGreaves »

After 3+ years in Newfoundland I have learned why I can not find gloss paint in Swyers. It is, Keith told me, because of Newfoundland law that aims to curtail the use of mineral-spirits ("turpentine") and oil-based paints.
The only reason for using gloss paint, says the law, is to inhibit rust on steel materials.
That is why Swyers has a wall-unit of cans marked "RUST" in bold rust-red letters, every can with a picture of a children's pull-cart The product is, you see, technically "rust paint", especially useful on children's toys.
2022_09_20220921_160539.jpg
The image above shows me partway through putting a coat of anti-rust paint over my collection of fourteen knotty-pinewood planks which, any day now, can be re-assembled into a wall-long bookcase, which means that after three months of upheaval I can start the path towards recovery of my home.
Cartons of boxes can be unpacked and the books arranged in Dewey sequence, and that means that one of the blocked corridors leading to my blocked laundry-room will become navigable again ...
I am going to stick my neck out here, and predict that not a single spot of rust will appear on my pinewood planking over the next, oh, let's say ten more years.
Cheers, Chris
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
An expensive day out: Wallet and Grimace

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Re: anti-rust paint

Post by stuck »

ChrisGreaves wrote:
22 Sep 2022, 12:29
...me partway through putting a coat of anti-rust paint over my collection of fourteen knotty-pinewood planks...
When you're finished, can you pop over to my house and slap a coat of anti-rust paint on the wrought iron gate to my back garden?

:thankyou:

Ken

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Re: anti-rust paint

Post by ChrisGreaves »

stuck wrote:
22 Sep 2022, 12:34
When you're finished, can you pop over to my house and slap a coat of anti-rust paint on the wrought iron gate to my back garden?
Sure, Ken; for you, anything.
As long as you pay the air-freight.
Before yesterday's Pizza I was at about 180 lbs.

BTW, Newfoundland's "Rust" paint doesn't actually remove anything, except the threat of severe penalties for store owners who sell the stuff.
It isn't even good at filling in knot-holes.
Cheers, Chris
(When Donna was describing timber supplies, I found myself wondering what "naughty pain" was).
C
An expensive day out: Wallet and Grimace