Rubik's Cube...

NYIntensity
Lounger

Rubik's Cube...

Post by NYIntensity »

Not so much a puzzle as a question/discussion about the puzzle. I finally comitted myself to learning how to solve it (my words are chosen carefully, as I looked up the algorithms, I didn't figure it out myself). Just want to hear the trials and frustrations of any other cubers out there. :)

TonyE
3StarLounger

Re: Rubik's Cube...

Post by TonyE »

I have not tried it for years but I used to be able to solve it, normally in under 2 minutes.

I used to complete it in 3 layers, get 1 side complete, then the middle layer, then onto the final layer. There were a small number of moves to learn to help in completing each layer. It has been so long since I last tried, I doubt if I could solve the cube now.
Tony

NYIntensity
Lounger

Post by NYIntensity »

That's exactly how I learned - solve one side (and the immediate perpendicular layer), then the middle layer, then the top layer and face.

AlanMiller
BronzeLounger

Post by AlanMiller »

Method #1 - Flat screwdriver blade applied between a centre face square and a centre edge cube. Shake well then begin assembling the pieces.

Method#2 - Remove coloured stickers where necessary and transpose to appropriate squares.

Method #3 - Grab a copy of
IIRC, this guy from Melbourne was able to retire on this little booklet. I helped him by buying one. He was smart enough to form his own publishing company, just for this one book!

Alan

Brooke
NewLounger

Post by Brooke »

Someone once asked me to solve his for him as he was stumped. Turns out I couldn’t do it either. He was insistent he hadn’t tried method 2 – even after I pointed out that he had five corners of the same colour! ( and no, I couldn’t do it these days either – I always struggled to remember the moves for the last layer.)

AlanMiller
BronzeLounger

Post by AlanMiller »

I also recall a friend's kids playing with mine, then asking me do do it for them. It was solving kinda "strange" and I asked them if they'd been trying a method 1/2 on it, to which they replied, "No, uncle Al." :angel: :angel: I got to the last moves, where the misoriented pair would simply not transpose as they should. After a few more "No, uncle Al" responses came the snigger, giggle, run away and hide.

Alan

TonyE
3StarLounger

Post by TonyE »

How to complete the rubics cube in under 12 seconds - CubeStormer
Tony

Hey Jude
5StarLounger

Post by Hey Jude »

TonyE wrote:How to complete the rubics cube in under 12 seconds - CubeStormer
When my son was 17 he solved it in 20 seconds. It reminded me of watching that robot.
♫...Take a sad song and make it better . . .♫ Image

Claude
cheese lizard

Post by Claude »

I wrote a rubik's cube emulation program in Z80 assembler for the Exidy Sorcerer computer in the late seventies, monochrome those days. It had a demo mode, and I had a secret rollover key sequence which allowed my to solve it immediately when visiting electronic shops showing the demo at the time. :evilgrin:

I'm sure I've got a printout of the source code somewhere. From memory, it was about 4,000 lines of code and it took me 3 weeks to write in the evenings. Aah, them's the days :smile:
Cheers, Claude.

Brooke
NewLounger

Post by Brooke »

:gobsmacked: :ifitsforreal:

Hey Jude
5StarLounger

Post by Hey Jude »

Claude wrote: From memory, it was about 4,000 lines of code and it took me 3 weeks to write in the evenings. Aah, them's the days :smile:
I'm so impressed. I remember trying to input code to make my VIC-20 make tooth brushing noises. We spent hours doing that for "fun."

sdckapr
3StarLounger

Post by sdckapr »

I had a cube when it first came out and a while back my kids "discovered" the cube in its "resurgence". My daughter became quite good at it. To annoy her, I took one of the middle edge pieces out and flipped it around, (making it impossible to solve) and randomized it. Then gave it back to her to "solve"...

Steve

Hey Jude
5StarLounger

Post by Hey Jude »

Does said daughter still speak to you?

sdckapr
3StarLounger

Post by sdckapr »

Of course she does. This was a very harmless annoyance. :smile: