Laptop displays six screens

MalcolmWalker
3StarLounger

Laptop displays six screens

Post by MalcolmWalker »

From start-up a grandson's Medion 96630 laptop displays six screens, in two columns of three, and there are more as the menu bar is visible on a further two at the bottom of the display. I am told that the computer started this behaviour with a warning that the video driver had failed.

The bootup time is extremely slow even for Windows Vista and when Windows is loaded narrowly spaced segmented lines obscure the visible screens. So I am unable to instal the video driver. I have checked the BIOS setting (F2 at initial start-up), also in at least six displays and they are the same as my own MD 96630. Booting into Safe Mode (F8) is successful but only in the multi-screen display with the lines referred to above.

To me the first thing to do (after backing up data*) would be to use the recovery disk but before doing so I wonder if an erudite forum contributor has a more elegant solution?

Malcolm

PS I was pleased to be invited to join Eileen's Lounge but to be designated a Lurker is, imo, somewhat derogatory! After all in Woody's I was credited with over 200 posts. With this post do I lose my lurking status?

HansV
Administrator

Re: Laptop displays six screens

Post by HansV »

Hi Malcolm,

I can't answer your question about the video driver, but let me welcome you to Eileen's Lounge!

We have all started anew here, with 0 posts, and we won't be transferring post counts from the Windows Secrets Lounge. Your first post has made you a NewLounger, and when you've made 25 posts you'll be a Lounger, etc.
Best wishes,
Hans

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

Malcolm,

Is this laptop connected to a network at all?

Depending on the exact configuration and, and what software has been installed, it may be possible to use remote desktop to access the computer remotely and configure the video driver.

This is a bit of a long shot, since it will only work if you have set it up already, but do check.

Have you tried booting into safe mode? This may give you a usable 640x480 display using the default VGA driver, and you could then install / reconfigure the video driver.
StuartR

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

MalcolmWalker wrote:I have checked the BIOS setting (F2 at initial start-up), also in at least six displays and they are the same as my own MD 96630. Booting into Safe Mode (F8) is successful but only in the multi-screen display with the lines referred to above.
The fact you get six displays when you load the BIOS points to something deeper than just a Windows video driver failure because at that stage your laptop is running at it most basic. It's not surprising then that you still get six displays in Safe Mode.

I've no idea how to help you but I fear this is going to turn out to be a hardware fault and if the video is on-board that probably means a new mobo.

Perhaps someone else can tell you I'm talking nonsense..?

Ken

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

I agree with Ken.

If you see these 6 displays when trying to view the BIOS setup then this is almost certainly a hardware fault.
StuartR

MalcolmWalker
3StarLounger

Post by MalcolmWalker »

StuartR wrote:I agree with Ken. If you see these 6 displays when trying to view the BIOS setup then this is almost certainly a hardware fault.
In view of the comments from you and Ken confirming my own judgement I have telephoned the manufacturer's customer support line. The immediate diagnosis is a video hardware failure. Under the three-year warranty the laptop is to be repaired or replaced.

My thanks gentlemen for your interest and responses.

Malcolm

MalcolmWalker
3StarLounger

Post by MalcolmWalker »

HansV wrote:I can't answer your question about the video driver, but let me welcome you to Eileen's Lounge!
Thank you for the welcome Hans. It is appreciated as much as the help you gave to me in the previous situation.

Malcolm