Dell Inspiron 400 -Zino HD

Gloria E
5StarLounger

Dell Inspiron 400 -Zino HD

Post by Gloria E »

What does it mean when the computer shuts down automatically? It's a desktop computer with Windows Home Premium installed.

I was working, writing something I saw on the monitor, I looked up at the screen and it was black. I checked the on/off button and the computer was off. When I restarted I got the message that the computer had not shut down normally and I had to chose how to restart. I chose Normal and the computer started with no apparent damage. I'm afraid that this might be the beginning of trouble and I'd like to nip it in the bud if I can.

Can someone explain why this happened and what I should do so that it doesn't happen again? This was the first time it happened and it scared me half to death. I was afraid that it would not start again, but it did.

Gloria E
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive & well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, red wine in the other, body thoroughly used up. Totally worn out & screaming "Wow, Wee What a ride!

HansV
Administrator

Re: Dell Inspiron 400 -Zino HD

Post by HansV »

Perhaps there a very short power break?
Best wishes,
Hans

Leif
Administrator

Post by Leif »

...and check the power lead is plugged in securely both ends.
Leif

John Gray
PlatinumLounger

Post by John Gray »

See if there's anything relevant in the System Event Log?
John Gray

"(or one of the team)" - how your hospital appointment letter indicates that you won't be seeing the Consultant...

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

Are you sure that it didn't just slip into "hibernation" with no screensaver showing?
How long was it that you were writing and the machine was idle?
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

Gloria E
5StarLounger

Post by Gloria E »

HansV wrote:Perhaps there a very short power break?
If that were true, wouldn't it happen again? It's been a couple of days and no reoccurrence. There were lightning storms in the area but it had stopped when the black out happened.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive & well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, red wine in the other, body thoroughly used up. Totally worn out & screaming "Wow, Wee What a ride!

Gloria E
5StarLounger

Post by Gloria E »

viking33 wrote:Are you sure that it didn't just slip into "hibernation" with no screensaver showing?
That could be, but since it's never happened before or since, leaves that explanation suspect. I was looking at the screen every few sentences, so that was not long at all. I never use screen savers.

Gloria E
5StarLounger

Post by Gloria E »

John Gray wrote:See if there's anything relevant in the System Event Log?
John: I will check the log to see if any thing relevant has happened.

Leif: I checked the power plug and every thing looks alright to me.

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

Gloria E wrote:
viking33 wrote:Are you sure that it didn't just slip into "hibernation" with no screensaver showing?
That could be, but since it's never happened before or since, leaves that explanation suspect. I was looking at the screen every few sentences, so that was not long at all. I never use screen savers.
Right but with no screensavers, the screen just goes black.
Control Panel>Power Options>Check When the Computer Sleeps.
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

We'll probably never know.

Did your PC come with a diagnostics utility from Dell? On mine, it's Start > All Programs > Dell Support Center > PC Checkup. If you have that, or something similar, you could run a scan to see if there are hardware problems.
Best wishes,
Hans