PS2 Keyboard Port dead ?

IMNetUser
3StarLounger

PS2 Keyboard Port dead ?

Post by IMNetUser »

Hello Everyone ...

Worked on a friends computer that has a keyboard not working.

Verified NOT keyboard problem by putting known good keyboard on his system (did NOT work) and putting his keyboard on my system (DID work).

His computer flashes No Keyboard error before continuing to Login screen.

BEFORE YOU ASK - CAN NOT GET TO BIOS - NEED KEYBOARD ! ! ! !

Workaround: Once the OS gets far enough along, a USB keyboard will work.

Utilities I have run and pursuing the Internet has not revealed any useful suggestions. I thought about performing a hard reset on the motherboard but do not want to do this except as a last resort since I need a keyboard to get out of BIOS and I will be hosed if the PS2 port is truly bad.

My friend can not afford a new motherboard at this time and since I have a workaround (as well as completely backing up his hard drive) - I think he should just keep going until the computer dies (faithfully backing up hard drive as he goes).

I decided to order Desktop & Laptop Motherboard Diagnostic Test Card from PC-Diagnostics.Com to see if I can get a more definitive answer.

Does ANYONE have any other ideas ?
Scott

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Re: PS2 Keyboard Port dead ?

Post by Bigaldoc »

With the possibility that the PS2 port might be dead, what's wrong with switching the keyboard to a USB model, wireless or not? I sure wouldn't think that motherboard and other drastic measures would be worth it for something like a keyboard problem. Just for the record, I have a machine upstairs with a failed PS2 port and been using a USB keyboard and mouse on it ever since. Am I missing something here?

IMNetUser
3StarLounger

Post by IMNetUser »

I tend to agree thus my workaround for as long as the computer keeps booting and working. The only minor casualty is having to goto the USB Mouse. The trackball he was using apparently will not work with a PS2 to USB connecter.

The only other concern is the PS2 connector failure is indicative to a more serious motherboard failure (thus imparting extreme cautions on faithful backups of the hard drive). I'm glad you have had good luck with the USB Keyboard on a system with similar problem as I described above.

Thanks for the reply.
Scott

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

Bigaldoc wrote:With the possibility that the PS2 port might be dead, what's wrong with switching the keyboard to a USB model, wireless or not? ...
Sometimes you have to set a BIOS parameter to enable a USB keyboard, and you can't do this if you can't get to the BIOS because your keyboard doesn't work.
StuartR

IMNetUser
3StarLounger

Post by IMNetUser »

StuartR wrote:
Bigaldoc wrote:With the possibility that the PS2 port might be dead, what's wrong with switching the keyboard to a USB model, wireless or not? ...
Sometimes you have to set a BIOS parameter to enable a USB keyboard, and you can't do this if you can't get to the BIOS because your keyboard doesn't work.
Agreed - which is why, in this case, the USB Keyboard is working AFTER the Operating System is detecting the USB Device and had a device driver for it. After I initially logged into Administrators profile, I accessed Device Manager to update the USB Keyboard Device driver for additional button functions. I found NO error relating to PS2 connector, system services, etc.

BTB-The motherboard's specifications state they WOULD allow the USB Keyboard to be accessible on boot up - but as you noted it has to be activated in BIOS and we can not currently get in BIOS. Also, my Ultimate Boot CD (KNOPIX, BartPE, XP Pro OS Disk, etc) are not an option because whomever ORIGINALLY setup this computer did NOT activated the BIOS option to boot from CD/DVD. :groan:

As long as the workaround is working, I think we stay the course. If the motherboard does crash ... :hairout: then :flee: !
:whisper:THEN try to hard reset the motherboard and if that does not work - purchase a new motherboard.

I'm just hopping someone else may have other ideas. :thankyou:
Scott

jonwallace
5StarLounger
Location: "What a mighty long bridge to such a mighty little old town"

Post by jonwallace »

There are suggestions out there on the interweb that updating the BIOS might help.
Other parts of the swamp recommend resetting the BIOS.
I suspect that a new motherboard might be realistic (but unpopular :innocent: )
John

“Always trust a microbiologist because they have the best chance of predicting when the world will end”
― Teddie O. Rahube

John Gray
PlatinumLounger

Post by John Gray »

I wouldn't expect that having a PS/2 port go dead necessarily means that the whole motherboard is likely to be go bad, since the PS/2 port is a bit peripheral, if you'll pardon the pun!
John Gray

"(or one of the team)" - how your appointment letter indicates you won't be seeing the Consultant...

IMNetUser
3StarLounger

Post by IMNetUser »

jonwallace wrote:There are suggestions out there on the interweb that updating the BIOS might help.
Other parts of the swamp recommend resetting the BIOS.
I suspect that a new motherboard might be realistic (but unpopular :innocent: )
I would not have a problem attempting BIOS Update BUT you need the keyboard to access and update the BIOS. The motherboard does have an option (that must be initially set in bIOS) ti use a USB keyboard during boot up - but the person who initially setup the computer never activated it or the option to boot from CD/DVD. :hairout:

I suspect the new motherboard will be the solution when/if the motherboard crashes - in the meantime using the USB keyboard after Windows gets to logon screen will be an acceptable workaround.
Scott

IMNetUser
3StarLounger

Post by IMNetUser »

John Gray wrote:I wouldn't expect that having a PS/2 port go dead necessarily means that the whole motherboard is likely to be go bad, since the PS/2 port is a bit peripheral, if you'll pardon the pun!
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
BIT player PS2 taking a BYTE out of the motherboard ?!?!?!?!? :flee:

I agree with you - based on recent comments from the computer owner. The strange behavior is extending to computer having to be re-booted on occasion when access to desktop not allowed.

Computer has been verified NOT to have a virus and hard drive utility checks show no problems. Updating the computer at this time is not an option but I fear will be the only choice in near future.

My current advice was to constantly backup the computer, use the USB Keyboard (which is found and works at logon screen), and plan for new motherboard.
Scott