Mini Tablets

DaveA
GoldLounger

Mini Tablets

Post by DaveA »

I have been thinking (yes that is dangerous) about getting a mini tablet.
Do any of these include cell phone service?
I am so far behind, I think I am First :evilgrin:
Genealogy....confusing the dead and annoying the living

HansV
Administrator

Re: Mini Tablets

Post by HansV »

Yes, see for example the Dell Streak, an Android-powered mini tablet PC.
Best wishes,
Hans

DaveA
GoldLounger

Post by DaveA »

Thanks, Hans.

I have been looking at the 10 inch ones and so far I have found none that support phone calls.

I did not consider the small phone sized items tablets.

Leif
Administrator

Post by Leif »

DaveA wrote:I did not consider the small phone sized items tablets.
Why not use Mickey Mouse logic and look for 'phones that can be used as tablets? My HTC smart-phone has more features than I can use, but if I want to do any serious work, I'd rather use a laptop or desktop than faff around with a smaller screen than necessary, despite how trendy it may look.
Leif

DaveA
GoldLounger

Post by DaveA »

What I am really looking for is a good "Ebook" type of machine, that may also be used for other purposes.
Why spend $150-$300 for a book reader, and not have other uses?

I have access to a lot of family research data that is in the PDF format, and a reader would allow me to access them when on at the computer. Hopefully these tablets will allow USB storage devices to be connected.

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

DaveA wrote:What I am really looking for is a good "Ebook" type of machine, that may also be used for other purposes.
Hi Dave.

(later: better format of review of Aluratek, Libre/Touch Model number AEBKO8FB from me)

I am partway through a project to review (and write a training course for) the Aluratek Libre/Touch.
It has been out less than a month.

http://www.chrisgreaves.com/eReaders/index1.htm is a rendering of my current WhatFAQ - a compendium of notes, comments, suggestions etc from which I will ultimately generate a training course.
Feel free to ask questions.

My client's most pointed comment: "Actually this device looks pretty cool - I want one! I'm curious to know what it CAN'T do, if anything? Let me know if you run into any roadblocks, esp. in the wi-fi section - browsing & email."
Last edited by ChrisGreaves on 03 Jul 2011, 11:45, edited 1 time in total.
He who plants a seed, plants life.

jonwallace
5StarLounger
Location: "What a mighty long bridge to such a mighty little old town"

Post by jonwallace »

DaveA wrote:What I am really looking for is a good "Ebook" type of machine, that may also be used for other purposes.
I have one of these from Archos that I got for a decent price (under £200). I thought I would use it mainly for ebooks, but I have used it for pranking (is that a word?) the good lady by remote controlling her laptop from it...
John

“Always trust a microbiologist because they have the best chance of predicting when the world will end”
― Teddie O. Rahube

DKspokane
NewLounger

Post by DKspokane »

I bought a Viewsonic Viewpad 7 from Amazon some time ago, and I am very happy with it. It seems to be the ONLY "tablet" computer that has phone service built in. It even has Documents2Go which includes a PDF function. GPS, maps, and lots more. I took it to Europe and it worked great on a regular SIM card there. Plugged in a pre-paid T-mobile, unlimited texting SIM here and I can use the phone function for $0.10/minute. They also have a Data Day Pass for $1.50 but it is "E"dge only (on T-Mobile). I tried a friends iPhone SIM and the Data speed was awesome. BUT, AT&T does NOT recognize this as a Tablet. They think it's an Android phone, so you have to pay for phone AND data on their system. I may - on day - just go to this thing for everything. It has Bluetooth, so you don't have to hold it up to your face and look funny. Or you can use it handsfree as a speakerphone. Or it has stereo earphones. Pretty cool for $279. Oh, and "Yes" it does have a "book reader" too. By the way... have you ever seen "Swype" in action? What an incredible way to write in documents!