Question about Power Adapter for HP 530 Laptop

BobH
UraniumLounger

Question about Power Adapter for HP 530 Laptop

Post by BobH »

I want to buy another power adapter for my laptop - so I don't have to move the charger cord around because the battery really doesn't last all that long.

Ebay shows lots of 65W AC to DC adapters for cheap. Is there anything I should be extra careful about in buying a spare?
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Intel Core i5, 3570K, 3.40 GHz, 16 GB RAM, ECS Z77 H2-A3 Mobo, Windows 10 >HPE 64-bit, MS Office 2016

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Re: Question about Power Adapter for HP 530 Laptop

Post by viking33 »

BobH wrote:I want to buy another power adapter for my laptop - so I don't have to move the charger cord around because the battery really doesn't last all that long.

Ebay shows lots of 65W AC to DC adapters for cheap. Is there anything I should be extra careful about in buying a spare?
Are these the recommended type for your particular laptop?
Besides sufficient wattage, is the plug size and polarity the same?
Amperage rating the same or larger? Sometimes rated in milli-watts. Larger is OK.

I would be very "leery" in buying just any old adapter. Some cheaper ones aren't filtered very well and the ripple voltage is terrible.
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Are these the recommended type for your particular laptop?

I can't find out what type I have or what type I should have. The LT is several years old.

Besides sufficient wattage, is the plug size and polarity the same?
Wattage is the same and the plugs are the same but I don't know about polarity nor how to find out about it.

Amperage rating the same or larger? Sometimes rated in milli-watts. Larger is OK.
See answers above. I cannot find the spec on the OEM adapter. I searched the HP site without finding anything about my LT or the adapter that it requires. There is some information (I think) on a label on the bottom of the supplied unit but it is so small that I cannot read it. Most of the printing is symbols of certifying authorities.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Intel Core i5, 3570K, 3.40 GHz, 16 GB RAM, ECS Z77 H2-A3 Mobo, Windows 10 >HPE 64-bit, MS Office 2016

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

I had a quick look on the HP UK web site and it says one of these is compatible with your laptop.

Strangely, the equivalent adapter on the HP US web site does not include the HP 530 in the compatibility list, and it costs quite a lot more.

This part seems to be available at a reasonable price in the US on the Amazon web site, where it does list the 530 as a compatible laptop.
StuartR

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Thank you, Stuart!

I would never have thought to look on the UK site for HP.

The adapter on my laptop is a 18.5V 3.5A 65W Output with 120-240V 50-60Hz input.

I'm uncertain if the 90W output of the adapter you pointed me to would work or might damage the unit.

Thanks again for the help.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

BobH wrote:...The adapter on my laptop is a 18.5V 3.5A 65W Output with 120-240V 50-60Hz input.

I'm uncertain if the 90W output of the adapter you pointed me to would work or might damage the unit...
You can still get the 65W power adapter, but the 90W one is a replacement for it that fits a wider range of laptops, and it appears to be cheaper. Presumably this is due to economies of scale.
StuartR

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

StuartR wrote:
BobH wrote:...The adapter on my laptop is a 18.5V 3.5A 65W Output with 120-240V 50-60Hz input.

I'm uncertain if the 90W output of the adapter you pointed me to would work or might damage the unit...
You can still get the 65W power adapter, but the 90W one is a replacement for it that fits a wider range of laptops, and it appears to be cheaper. Presumably this is due to economies of scale.
Wattage is the same as for amperage. More or higher is OK. The device will only draw what it needs, not what the adapter is rated for.
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.