Speed of laptop with PCIE NVMe C: drive and SATA SSD D: drive

jmt356
SilverLounger

Speed of laptop with PCIE NVMe C: drive and SATA SSD D: drive

Post by jmt356 »

A laptop is running Windows on a PCIE NVMe SSD (C:) and is storing data to a 3D NAND SATA 2.5 Inch SSD (D:). The PCIE NVMe is faster than than the SATA SSD.

In read-write operations where the user is opening files stored on D: Is the computer's overall speed limited to the speed of D:? If so, is having a fast PCIE NVMe for C: futile / a waste of money and resources?
Regards,

JMT

JoeP
SilverLounger

Re: Speed of laptop with PCIE NVMe C: drive and SATA SSD D: drive

Post by JoeP »

All that depends on the mix of work being done. If you have multiple programs open such as a browser, outlook, file explorer, word, etc. having the OS on a fast device is good. You want the OS to complete its tasks as quickly as possible so it can respond to you and let you do what you need. On the other hand, if the files being opened are very large and are opened and written frequently you may want the data drive to be the faster drive. My personal viewpoint is the faster the better on all components. So, I would not consider it a waste. If both drives are internal, I would consider switching them after an extended period of usage and observation.
Joe