Western Digitial Replacement Hard Drive

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Re: Western Digitial Replacement Hard Drive

Post by hlewton »

When I tried to open the photo before I used Open With but RIOT wasn't listed as a choice. So I had to direct it to the desktop shortcut for RIOT. It still isn't listed as an option to open with RIOT. Is there a way to make RIOT an option when Open With is used?
Regards,
hlewton

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Right-click a .jpg file and select Open With > Choose another app.
Scroll all the way down and click 'Choose another app on your PC'.
Navigate to the Riot folder in C:\Program Files (assuming that you installed the 64-bit version).
Select Riot.exe and click Open.
Click Always.
Best wishes,
Hans

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

HansV wrote:
07 Feb 2023, 16:24
Right-click a .jpg file and select Open With > Choose another app.
Scroll all the way down and click 'Choose another app on your PC'.
Navigate to the Riot folder in C:\Program Files (assuming that you installed the 64-bit version).
Select Riot.exe and click Open.
Click Always.
Thanks. I had been choosing - just this once. I thought choosing Always would make it the default viewer for photos and then photos would no longer be opening with IrfanView as the default. I'll just give it a try and see. Thanks again.
Regards,
hlewton

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Selecting Just Once will work too, of you don't want to make Riot the default.
Best wishes,
Hans

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

HansV wrote:
07 Feb 2023, 18:50
Selecting Just Once will work too, of you don't want to make Riot the default.
Actually it was in a sub list after I choose "Another App," after the first time when I had to browse to it and picked "Just once." That sub list had 2 items that were listed and RIOT was one of them. So that worked out well. Thanks.
Regards,
hlewton

Jay Freedman
Microsoft MVP

Post by Jay Freedman »

stuck wrote:
07 Feb 2023, 12:43
Jay Freedman wrote:
07 Feb 2023, 02:35
...Sorry about the ugly top view -- it happened when I tried to force the 3 MB original photo down to 65 kB. :hairout: ...
You need RIOT:
    https://riot-optimizer.com/

I use the (old) plugin version that's compatible with (an old version of) IrfanView to get my large photo files (usually TIFFs of about 130 MB) down to The Lounge limit of 256 KB and still end up with versions of them that people here seem to enjoy.
I thought had RIOT installed in IrfanView, but forgot about the incompatibility issue. Now I've downloaded the standalone version.

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

Jay Freedman wrote:
08 Feb 2023, 00:37
I thought had RIOT installed in IrfanView, but forgot about the incompatibility issue. Now I've downloaded the standalone version.
The alternatives are:
1) Roll back to IrfanView v4.57 (32 bit), which what I've done since the only real use I have for it these days is as a familiar (quick) route to RIOT.
2) Ditch IrfanView and switch to XnView, which is something I've yet to investigate. NB XnView now comes in two flavours 'Classic' and 'MP'. As far as I can make out 'MP' is the future but 'Classic' has not yet been completely abandoned.
3) Use GIMP, err, no thanks :smile:

Ken

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

If it is used as a plugin in IrfanView does it take the place of IrfanView's editing or is it a separate tab or something you have to purposely access?
Regards,
hlewton

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

hlewton wrote:
08 Feb 2023, 14:36
If it is used as a plugin in IrfanView does it take the place of IrfanView's editing or is it a separate tab or something you have to purposely access?
RIOT is not an image editor, its sole purpose is to resize an image. In IrfanView you invoke it via the 'Save for Web' option on the File menu.

However, as I've already noted, you must use an old, not the current, version of IrfanView to get the RIOT plugin to work.

Ken

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

stuck wrote:
08 Feb 2023, 17:25
hlewton wrote:
08 Feb 2023, 14:36
RIOT is not an image editor, its sole purpose is to resize an image. In IrfanView you invoke it via the 'Save for Web' option on the File menu.

However, as I've already noted, you must use an old, not the current, version of IrfanView to get the RIOT plugin to work.

Ken
OK, thanks. I haven't ever done any "Save for WEB" so I think I am good with just the stand alone version I have.
Regards,
hlewton

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

'Save for Web' is just a convenient name. It, like all of the IrfanView user interface, goes way back to the days when the only way to access the web was by dial-up modem. In those days upload and download speeds were slow, very slow, so using small files on your web pages was A Good Thing TM. As RIOT is brilliant at downsizing big image files without losing quality it made sense to label the option to invoke it, 'Save for Web', since back in those days you were most likely to need RIOT if you wanted a high quality image in a tiny file size for use on the web.

However, whether you use RIOT as a stand alone or as a plugin it does notsave anything to the web - unless you explicitly save its output to a folder on your machine that is set to sync to your OneDrive.

Ken

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

stuck wrote:
08 Feb 2023, 18:27
'Save for Web' is just a convenient name. It, like all of the IrfanView user interface, goes way back to the days when the only way to access the web was by dial-up modem. In those days upload and download speeds were slow, very slow, so using small files on your web pages was A Good Thing TM. As RIOT is brilliant at downsizing big image files without losing quality it made sense to label the option to invoke it, 'Save for Web', since back in those days you were most likely to need RIOT if you wanted a high quality image in a tiny file size for use on the web.

However, whether you use RIOT as a stand alone or as a plugin it does notsave anything to the web - unless you explicitly save its output to a folder on your machine that is set to sync to your OneDrive.

Ken
Thanks for that information as well. I remember the "good old days" of dial-up modem. Actually back then I didn't even have Internet in my home. I had Internet access though using a "Remote Access Dial Hook Up" to my company and accessed the Internet that way. Of course I couldn't use the Internet freely since it was my company's account. But I did manage to do a few personal, or government jobs, as we called them. I remember that access code changed all the time and I had to have some device, don't remember what it was called, that gave me the access code to enter into my company's network. I think the code was only good for maybe up to 1 minute at a time.
Regards,
hlewton