Win 7 - Device not recognized - USB phone cable

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Win 7 - Device not recognized - USB phone cable

Post by ChrisGreaves »

I did a search of Eileen's Lounge and found 26 hits (probably 27 by the time this is posted), and the most relevant seemed to be USB device not recognised - Windows XP which I read. This is a laptop running Windows 7 and "crawling under the desk" is not an option.

The laptop has three USB ports on the LHS, one on the RHS.
First I tried rebooting.
Next I plugged the smartphone & cable into each of the four ports - no luck.
Then I swapped the phone for my older phone and tried all four ports.
Nothing!

The USB slots are working for my keyboard and mouse, so it may be a problem with the blonde cable.

I have enough residual sanity to hook up a backup drive (different cable format) and gain access to it via TrueCrypt, which suggests to me that the problem is with the blond phone cable, not with any USB socket or anything inside the laptop,

I have another phone cable somewhere, but can't lay my hands on it, and the "BELL computer store" closed six months ago.

Suggestions welcomed.

Oh yes, The last time this worked was yesterday afternoon when I copied photos from the phone to the laptop using the same blonde cable,

Thanks for any hints.

Chris
NotRecognized_01.png
Above: the message I receive
NotRecognized_02.png
Above: what I see when I right-click on Computer and choose Device Management
NotRecognized_03.png
Above: I usually see "LGK30" when I plug in the phone.
(continued next post)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
An expensive day out: Wallet and Grimace

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Re: Win 7 - Device not recognized - USB phone cable

Post by ChrisGreaves »

(continued from previous post)
NotRecognized_04.png
Above: What I see inside Computer Management.
Cheers, Chris
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Jay Freedman
Microsoft MVP

Post by Jay Freedman »

Try another cable -- borrow one from a neighbor, as long as the connector at the phone end matches your phone -- if that works, wait for an online purchase to arrive.

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

Jay Freedman wrote:
13 Jan 2023, 16:12
Try another cable -- borrow one from a neighbor, as long as the connector at the phone end matches your phone -- if that works, wait for an online purchase to arrive.
Thanks Jay; the diagnosis of "cable" is confirmed then.

Code: Select all

Searching for carton with spare cable.
Please wait ... 
Cheers, Chris

jonwallace
5StarLounger
Location: "What a mighty long bridge to such a mighty little old town"

Post by jonwallace »

As an aside, I always treat my USB cables as disposable items because even the ones that I've spent proper money on fail regularly. (I've put aside a cable that works 99% of the time for when my wife wants to connect her kindle to her computer to transfer books from Calibre.)
I always have a box of spare cables.
John

“Always trust a microbiologist because they have the best chance of predicting when the world will end”
― Teddie O. Rahube

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

I dug through cartons and found one other cable that fits. There are many cables with a regular-size USB plug for the laptop end, and three whose smaller end does NOT fit into the phone. I recognize one of them as being used for a digital camera.
The cable connects the android smart phone to the laptop (which is how the old Blonde cable was used) and charges the phone, but does not permit file transfer (the main reason for the cable – transferring files from phone to laptop, and transferring audio books from laptop to phone).
When the blonde cable worked, I did not need to select “File Transfer” from a 4-item pop-up, as I had to do, always, with my old Moto-X phone.
So: I have a blonde cable and a black cable. The blonde cable has, I suspect, a broken wire within it. The black cable functions, but only for charging the phone.
20230123_100149a.jpg
I went to Staples online site and am now overwhelmed by the variety of USB cables. The range of “little” ends is great, and I know that I need a specific size. But not only that, I need a specific characteristic of little end.
Untitled.png
My two cables look like this one, labeled as “Micro USB Connector” and is described on the web site as “NXT Technologies 6 Ft. Braided USB-A to Micro-USB Charging Cable for Samsung/Android, Black (NX54695)”, so I gather that this is like the black one I have to hand – good for charging the phone, but not for file transfer.
An adjacent cable is “NXT Technologies™ 4 Ft. Braided USB-C to USB-A Cable, White (NX60474)”, and it doesn’t mention “charging”, but that does not assure me that I can transfer files.

This page shows Insignia™ - 8' 240W USB-C to USB-C Braided Cable - White Model: NS-PC3CC8W23 which says “ …USB-C to USB-C Charge-and-Sync Cable …´which is, I think, what I want.
Same page Insignia™ - 6' USB to Mini-B Charge-and-Sync Cable - Black Model: NS-PC2AMU6 seems as if it too would keep me satisfied.

STAPLES and BEST BUY both deliver, and usually within three real days. Price is not a concern.
My proposed strategy is to buy one cable (or perhaps, one of each) and once I know that it works, take John’s advice and lay in a half-dozen or so to last me a lifetime.

If any one of you experts believe that the NX60474 is probably the one I want, I shall place the order today. (I don't expect you to guarantee functionality).

On the other hand, if any of you HAS a cable that transfers files between laptop and smartphone, and still has the original package and model number, that would be appreciated.

Thanks, Chris

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

USB-C to USB-C is not right
You need USB-A to microUSB charge and sync cable

Something like this Durable Braided Micro USB Cables for Android Smartphones, Samsung, LG (10ft) - (Set of 2 - Silver)
StuartR

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

Hi Stuart, and thanks again for your guidance.
For the below-average user who doesn’t understand the tech specifications (USB-A, USB-C, Micro-USB) and who painfully owns a set of cables none of which fit or work, it seems to me that the thing to look for is best described as “USB Cables Sync And Charge” In my case I have a black cable that charges but does not allow file transfers, whereas my Blonde cable charged AND allowed file transfers.
In the industry the business of File Transfers is denoted “sync”, so it is a charge-and-sync that I want to buy.
Untitled2.png
The link that you so kindly provided took me to a Staples.com web page which heralds “Durable Braided Micro USB Cables for Android Smart phones, Samsung, LG (10ft) - (Set of 2 - Silver) Item #: 24233660 | Model #: 2XMCRO10FT-SLV”
I dutifully took myself to the Staples.CA site and found that Item numbers appear to differ from the US site.
Untitled3.png
In Canada we use different item numbers and different model numbers. As well we sell at $cdn18.89 per cable as distinct from $US24.29 per pair of cables in the USA.
Untitled4.png
So I thought to check by the description “Durable Braided Micro USB Cables for Android” which returned a flood of cables including a “braided nylon” which sent me salivating, and the heck with the price. This cable appears to be sheathed in woven fabric. I have a cable just like that, but it doesn’t fit my smart phone. The bulk of my cables are sheathed in plastic which grows brittle and that, I think, leads to metal fatigue and failure at the end of the cable.

This item description even sports “Charge and Sync” which I maintain are the critical parts of the description.
That it is both highly-priced and out of stock further confirms that this is the cable I need. :grin:

Lunch time had arrived so I searched for more background material and found this Canadian article Do All USB Cables Sync And Charge?

(continued in next post)

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

(continued from previous post)
Lunch time had arrived so I searched for more background material and found this Canadian article Do All USB Cables Sync And Charge?

”The second type is sometimes referred to as a data cable or a USB sync-and-charge cable.” So Hooray! Here is another term to use in my search efforts.

“the difference is simply the number of wires within the cable casing” which is rather unhelpful. The below-average user who doesn’t understand the tech specifications is most unlikely to tear apart even a dead cable (but why not?!!??? It isn't working anyway, is it?) and count the wires.
I figure that it is no good trying to focus on the ends of the micro-plugs – they must always sport four holes so as not to damage the socket in the smart phone.

“There are no rules implemented by the USB Implementers Forum that require manufacturers to label USB cables to identify one type from the other. A USB cable will not be labeled with any sort of symbol or icon. Of course, this makes it difficult to tell the two cable types apart.”. Well, but Yes.
20230123_151618.jpg
“One way to determine the USB cable type is to physically examine the thickness of the cable. A data cable is noticeably thicker than a charge-only cable, as there are two extra wires within the casing.”
Now you can call me focus-challenged, but it seems to these tired old eyes that the black cable is about 25% thicker than the blonde cable, so perhaps Canadians don’t know as much as they think they know about cables.

“…contact customer support for the cable you are considering …” which I rarely do nowadays. Curmudgeon that I am I am growing tired of Customer Support clerks who seems to be incapable of anything that isn’t scripted. (I hold that they are all B.A. graduates waiting for an opportunity to write as a Freelance Journalist)

“If purchasing in a store, consult with an attendant to confirm the product is what you need.”
Which is, of course, becoming increasingly difficult as the years go by. Not just because I elected to live on the tip of a wind-blown peninsula, but the BELL store closed last year; they might have stocked USB cables for the smart phones that they used to sell

“The final option, if you still aren’t sure, is to test the cable to discern its capabilities.” Right!

I have however taken Ken’s prediction to heart “it won't be long thereafter before an entrepreneur has this brilliant idea of setting up a 'shop', where customers can go to see and handle the stuff being sold and pay for the goods there and then and then take their purchases home immediately.” By setting up a new web page on my new domain.

I will now order as many of the $18.99 cables as I can to avoid shipping charges and add set aside at least one of them in my newly-assigned cardboard carton.

Cheers, Chris

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

Unbelievable! We have already learned that "Item Number"s differ between the USA and Canadian stores.
This morning I went to the Staples.ca online page, chose a cable, and went to my cart to begin the shipping process and waddya know!

Because that specific item is out of stock (it isn't actually!) the web site won't let me choose "My Store". There are at least two stores in St John's, but I can't choose either because although a cable is in My Cart, the store I am at hasn't that cable in stock.
So There! We don't want you as a customer".

I called the department manager, a nice lady, who poured out her heart to me. She is as frustrated as am I. Caught between the customers and stupid Head Management.

No wait! There's More!! Together we explored the site and found that another store in St John's has FIVE of that cable in stock. Now we are both agreed that since I live in Bonavista, I don't care where the cable comes from, but Nice Lady says that each store is isolated. There is no way that she or anyone else in that store can fulfill my order by directing the 5-item store to ship me a cable (or three).

And of course, I can't get to that other store on line.

I promised Nice Lady that I would write a hard-copy letter and send it by post to the head office in Richmond Hill Ontario.

Oh yes. The web site says "zero in stock" because they never have any in stock. The request goes to the manufacturer who ships the item(s) directly to me. Which is why, in part, Staples can't deliver the item to me. The easiest fix at their end, Nice lady says, is for the web site to refuse to take orders.

Which doesn't explain why the other store says it has five in stock.

Confused? You Betcha!

(time for lunch and a lie-down)
Cheers, Chris

PaulB
BronzeLounger

Post by PaulB »

Try emptying your cart then switch your "my store" to the one with cables in stock. Then order away to your heart's content.
Regards,
Paul

The pessimist complains about the wind. The optimist expects it to change. The realist adjusts his sails.

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

PaulB wrote:
24 Jan 2023, 17:06
Try emptying your cart then switch your "my store" to the one with cables in stock. Then order away to your heart's content.
Hi Paul. The cart could not be emptied.
The web page was really screwed up. I went through it step by step with a help-line who assured me that I would not be billed, and that if I was billed, then they would reverse the billing.
Minutes later I received email confirmation that the purchase had gone through.
Then half an hour later, email confirmation that the order had been cancelled and the billing reversed.

It is no wonder that I get paranoid about some of these online ordering pages.
Cheers, Chris