Laptop vs Chromebook

Michael Abrams
4StarLounger

Laptop vs Chromebook

Post by Michael Abrams »

I feel that this is the best place to go for an opinion.

I need a laptop for the wife.

She has only 3 requirements.

• Browse the web
    Record herself singing (using external microphone)
    Store documents and pictures

I have checked out laptops and Chromebooks and it’s got me dizzy.

Do you folks have a preference based on the above 3 criteria?

HansV
Administrator

Re: Laptop vs Chromebook

Post by HansV »

I myself would still prefer a Windows laptop because of the flexibility it offers, but a ChromeBook is easier to use and maintain, and usually a lot cheaper. It offers all three requirements, but keep in mind that ChromeOS is built around the Chrome browser. Almost everything is browser-based and relies on an internet connection; documents are usually stored in the cloud, not locally (if I am not mistaken).
Best wishes,
Hans

Michael Abrams
4StarLounger

Post by Michael Abrams »

Good to know. I think we will stick to laptop.

Thanks Hans!

DocAElstein
4StarLounger

Post by DocAElstein »

My 2 cents for me is to stay with a windows Laptop, - it’s often been a frustrating experience in recent years. But better the Devil you know. Windows and MS Office is just so versatile its difficult to imagine anything ever coming close.
But maybe for limited use a Chrome book could be an alternative. I would never want to use it myself, but I might have considered it with hindsight for my wife. It was difficult to get her away from her Smartphones and onto a windows desktop. It might have been more efficient to get her comfortable on something simpler like a Chromebook. Maybe

This guy I have been following and doing some stuff with for a few years, - a long term experienced Windows expert who has tried a lot of alternatives to windows for desktop applications in recent years, whilst also doing a lot of stuff to help windows less painful to use.
Just recently he tried out a Chromebook as an alternative for 30 days and did a video on his conclusions
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fVRZlqmGrUk

Alan
I seriously don’t ever try to annoy. Maybe I am just the kid that missed being told about the King’s new magic suit, :(

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

DocAElstein wrote:
19 Apr 2022, 07:15
This guy I have been following and doing some stuff with for a few years,
Hi Alan; your leader has been busier than you think!
GMChris2.png
I reached the 5m40s mark and in a panic shut doen my laptop.

When i came back I issued this URL https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=what+does+a+chromebook+look+like whose results might be of interest to you.
Cheers, Chris
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
There's nothing heavier than an empty water bottle