Disabling the NumLock key

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Disabling the NumLock key

Post by ChrisGreaves »

I am a two-fingered typist and can count on the index finger of my left hand the number of times I have used the Numeric Pad as a means of entering numeric data.
20200806_080218.jpg
The new laptop (Acer Travelmate) keyboard is driving me crazy. When I use the <End> key to move the text cursor to the right-hand side of the line, 50% of the time I strike the <End> key in the numeric pad, but my brain knows that 50% of the time I do that I will previously have struck the dreaded un-lit NumLock key. Two fingered typists like me stare at the keyboard and not the screen so I do not notice (1) the little NumLock icon that Win10 throws up or (2) that I am not typing new text at the end of the line, but am typing new text after a digit "1" that has mysteriously appeared in my text.

I really do not use the numeric keypad to enter numeric data; ever. I tried it once in late 1990 and vowed never again.

Is there a way, by hardware or by software, for me to permanently disable the nine numeric pad keys (for use as numeric keys)?
By "permanent" I mean anything short of removing the motherboard and taking to a chip with a soldering iron.

If there is a patch/solution it would probably double in benefit to me because I also get tossed around by the <Home> key.

At a pinch I could tape/glue a piece of paper over the numeric cluster and try to re-program my brain.

Thanks
Chris
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
There's nothing heavier than an empty water bottle

HansV
Administrator

Re: Disabling the NumLock key

Post by HansV »

Best wishes,
Hans