Undeletable Folder

Roderunner
5StarLounger

Undeletable Folder

Post by Roderunner »

Hi Folks, I have a 32gb thumbdrive in Fat32 format. It stores my 24.4gb of music all in mp3 format that I can play in my car. It wont take any other file format.
This is the third time this has happened but did not occur in the same file in my image on the other occassions.
The small pic is the unopened folder, large one when opened.
I recently tried to reformat a large hdd (500gb) into FAT32 with help from here but I failed.
The folder this time is a sub folder of the same artist. I am unable to delete the sub folder or opening it and try to delete each separately.
The folder has 4 sub folders but still unable to delete the whole folder. I tried in Safe Mode, no luck.
My only option so far, is to reformat the thumbdrive and re copy my files which takes upto 90 minutes.
RR.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Windows 11 Home 22H2

Regards,
George.

HansV
Administrator

Re: Undeletable Folder

Post by HansV »

Try Cedrick Collomb's Unlocker (free, but donations welcome)
Best wishes,
Hans

Roderunner
5StarLounger

Post by Roderunner »

Trying to d/l the file for 15 minutes without success.
Windows 11 Home 22H2

Regards,
George.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

My apologies, it appears that this old stalwart has bitten the dust. The alternative download links that I can find look a bit shady to me.

Does anyone else have a good suggestion for a utility to delete problematic files?
Best wishes,
Hans

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

You can still get Unlocker at MajorGeeks - https://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/unlocker.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and for the portable version - https://www.majorgeeks.com/files/detail ... table.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Joe

Roderunner
5StarLounger

Post by Roderunner »

Hans & Joe, I will retain the links for future use.
Before the post by Hans, I found a method to remove it using CMD but was rather complicated to perform, and was mainly for 'Locked' files so never tried it.
I found using 7Zip, you can compress the file then have it delete the original when complete. This did not work.
My thumbdrive holds 158 folders some with multiple entrys.
On the last 2 times this happened, it did not alter the same folder/album. The last one was Leonard Cohen this time Tom Petty's Highway Companion.
I tried to rename some of the internal folders in the undeletable folder but was not possible, BUT, I did manage to rename the main folder to XXX Rubbish, move it to the root of the drive. I also replaced the Highway Companion album from one of my backup files.
I put the drive in my car and scrolled through them, XXX Rubbish never showed. (It can only read mp3 or wav file formats)
I will keep it where it is for a week or so as it could be there for a reason unknown at present.
Windows 11 Home 22H2

Regards,
George.