Interrupt Firmware Update?

sobershea
2StarLounger

Interrupt Firmware Update?

Post by sobershea »

I just bought a WD external hard drive and immediately upon installing it suggested downloading a new firmware update. I did and followed the instructions about unplugging other external drives and started the update. This has been going on now since 7PM EST. That's over an hour and a half! Can I abort it? Will it damage the HD? And if I shouldn't abort it, what should I do if it never stops?
:scratch:
Sherry

BobH
UraniumLounger

Re: Interrupt Firmware Update?

Post by BobH »

Can you share the WD drive model with us, Sherry?

I have a couple of WD Passports that I use and, IIRC, I did a firmware update with one of them but it was so long ago I don't remember (of course, I'm at that age that I can't remember why I walked across the room, too :scratch: ).
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

sobershea
2StarLounger

Re: Interrupt Firmware Update?

Post by sobershea »

BobH wrote:Can you share the WD drive model with us, Sherry?
It's a Western Digital My Book Essential - but I solved the problem. After several hours I just closed the install window and rebooted. Then the computer didn't recognize the WD. Then I turned off Microsoft Security Essentials (they said to disable any anti-virus but I forgot about MSE) and ran the firmware update again. It ran fine and all is well. I just hate it when installs hang like that.
Thanks.
Sherry