2 Printer Problem

Sundog
5StarLounger

2 Printer Problem

Post by Sundog »

I have 2 printers and 2 CPUs. Neither printer shows as a possible printer (like from Print on a Word document), on both Desktop and Laptop; that's my desire. HP shows on Desktop; Dell shows on Laptop. "Add Printer" can't find the other one from Desktop or Laptop.

HP printer runs from my Desktop, is wireless. In Printers & Scanners > <select printer> > Manage > Hardware Properties, shows it's connected to my modem at http://192.168.1.100:3911.

My network goes from the wall ISP cable provider outlet to my modem, thence to my router, to push a wireless signal to the sorta far reaches of our place. The router is cabled to my Desktop. My Laptop connects wirelessly to my Desktop.

Dell printer is cabled to my Laptop at USB001. Earlier investigation concluded that Dell printer must be connected to my router, not my modem.

But I can't decode how to actually get both printers connected to the same device, so both my Desktop and Laptop can see both printers.

One suggestion, not yet tried for fear of bollocking things up even worse, is to temporarily shut down and disconnect the router, connect the Desktop directly to the modem, and try re-configuring the Dell printer via its Menu > Setup.

If that works, reconnect the router and hope for the best.

Any suggestions would be welcome.

I'm assuming once this situation gets solved, the printer's scanners would happily come along also.
Sundog

StuartR
Administrator

Re: 2 Printer Problem

Post by StuartR »

One option that might work is for you to share the Dell printer from the laptop. That way you can leave the wiring as it is and the desktop will be able to connect to the Dell printer as \\laptopname\sharename, but this would probably not enable you to use the scanner, just the printer.
StuartR

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

Whatever you did on the Desktop to install the HP printer should be repeated on the Laptop. That may require installing some HP utility to detect networked printers.
Joe

Sundog
5StarLounger

Post by Sundog »

UPDATE: Disconnected router. Desktop now cabled to modem. Laptop is on wireless network, browses fine.
HP printer is wireless, Desktop sees it, Laptop sees it.
Dell printer is cabled to Laptop, Port Name USB001. Desktop doesn't see it, Laptop sees it.

Tried Dell printer setup menu at printer, entered (painstakingly, a b c A B C 2) the network PassPhrase, no difference.
Tried Add Printer at Desktop, too many choices, don't understand what to put in some entry boxes.

StuartR: Decided to take the major step of removing the router, to get one option out of there.
JoeP: Laptop sees HP already.

Anybody have any other suggestions?
Sundog

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

If the printer is connected via the USB port on a computer then that will be the only computer that can see it directly. You're only option is to share the printer from the computer that is connected to it.
StuartR

Sundog
5StarLounger

Post by Sundog »

StuartR, thanks for that info. I will try disconnecting the USB port cable. The Dell printer supposedly is "wireless," so I'll try it uncabled.
Sundog

Leif
Administrator

Post by Leif »

Sundog wrote:
06 Jul 2022, 14:56
StuartR, thanks for that info. I will try disconnecting the USB port cable. The Dell printer supposedly is "wireless," so I'll try it uncabled.
I don't think Stuart meant that it won't be seen because it was connected by USB cable, but that it will need to be shared (regardless of how it is connected, USB or wireless).
Leif

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

If the printer is on the WiFi network then two computers should be able to connect to it independently. It won't need to be shared.

If the printer is connected to one computer by USB then it is highly likely that it will have disabled the WiFi, I don't think these printers support both WiFi and USB at the same time.
StuartR

Sundog
5StarLounger

Post by Sundog »

Disconnected USB cable to Laptop. Poked around in Printer user manual, tried entering Network Key instead of modem PassPhrase at printer screen Admin Menu > Network > Wireless Setup > <select desired network access> > <enter Network Key> > Press Select, Viola!

Can at last see both printers from both computers and print to both. Thanks for all your help.
Sundog

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

Well done!
StuartR