Did enabling file and folder compression slow down my SSD?

jmt356
SilverLounger

Did enabling file and folder compression slow down my SSD?

Post by jmt356 »

I have a partition on a SSD that is quite slow when navigating between folders, opening, saving and closing files, especially large ones. Because it is a SSD, it should not be so slow.

I understand that if a user selects "Enable file and folder compression" when formatting a partition, the hard drive slows down. How can I tell whether this was enabled for the partition when it was formatted?
Regards,

JMT

DaveA
GoldLounger

Re: Did enabling file and folder compression slow down my SSD?

Post by DaveA »

I do not know how to tell if the partition has been compressed or not.
"Enable file and folder compression
Yes, this slow down is because the file(s) must decompress for the program open it.
This is one thing I would NEVER use, as we have large drive today. When we had much smaller drives it may have been useful.
I am so far behind, I think I am First :evilgrin:
Genealogy....confusing the dead and annoying the living

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

Compression is not a function of the SSD. It is the OS that controls the compressing and decompressing thereby adding additional work on the CPU. So, if you think your PC slows down it is the extra work the CPU has to do to decompress the files when they are accessed.
Joe

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

You can check if a disk drive has compression enabled by looking at Properties > General
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
StuartR

jmt356
SilverLounger

Post by jmt356 »

StuartR: "Compress this drive to save disk space" is not ticked on either my OS drive or my Data drive. I assume this means I never ticked Compress this drive to save disk space. However, if I opted for disk compression when I first created these drives by cloning them from my old laptop, but never ticked the box since then, would it still be ticked today?
Regards,

JMT

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

jmt356 wrote:
17 Nov 2020, 22:59
However, if I opted for disk compression when I first created these drives by cloning them from my old laptop, but never ticked the box since then, would it still be ticked today?
If the drive is compressed then the box will be ticked
StuartR

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

I think what Stuart is saying - correct me if I'm wrong, please - is that it is the entire drive that is compressed by the option, not individual files.

Have you tried using Task Manager to see active applications and how much resource they are consuming when you notice the slow down? That might give some clues.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Intel Core i5, 3570K, 3.40 GHz, 16 GB RAM, ECS Z77 H2-A3 Mobo, Windows 10 >HPE 64-bit, MS Office 2016

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

BobH wrote:
18 Nov 2020, 19:00
I think what Stuart is saying - correct me if I'm wrong, please - is that it is the entire drive that is compressed by the option, not individual files.
That is correct. You could also compress invididual files or folders, from the properties of the specific file or folder.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
StuartR