Adobe Fault

HansV
Administrator

Re: Adobe Fault

Post by HansV »

If the prompt was for an update to Adobe Reader, I'd recommend uninstalling Adobe Reader if possible - Foxit Reader is sufficient.
Best wishes,
Hans

Dave Davison
SilverLounger

Post by Dave Davison »

Thanks Hans....which of the icons in the Revo Uninstaller shot attached should be uninstalled please? Sorry for having to ask, better be safe than sorry. Regards Dave.
ps...the two "Flash Player 10" icons to the right, though they look the same the first has "ActiveX" after it whilst the last has "Plugin".
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

You should leave the two icons for Adobe Flash Player alone - they are used to display video, for example on YouTube. One is for Internet Explorer, the other for Firefox.
I'd uninstall the icons for Acrobat.com, Adobe Acrobat 4.0 and Adobe Air.
Best wishes,
Hans

Dave Davison
SilverLounger

Post by Dave Davison »

Many thanks Hans....greatly appreciate your patience & expertise. Dave.

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

[quote="Dave Davison what must I do to stop it appearing? [/quote]

er...check the box that says "don't ask again?"
As Hans said, Foxit Reader is a good replacement for Adobe Reader and MUCH less bloated. Uninstall Adobe and use Foxit. You'll like it. :clapping:
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

Dave Davison
SilverLounger

Post by Dave Davison »

Thanks Bob..........Dave.

Dave Davison
SilverLounger

Post by Dave Davison »

Hi..... just re-read this thread and wondered if there is a free download that will convert pdf files to "Word" so that they can be edited. I have perused the OTHER forum and note one or two so called free downloads but they really are not -rather just limited trial periods then pay, pay, pay. :scratch: Thanks Dave.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Keep in mind that the results of converting a PDF file to an editable Word document will most likely not be perfect.

There's a free online conversion service from Nitro: Convert PDF to Word (DOC), but you have to give them your e-mail address, and you may not want to use it to convert PDF files with sensitive information.

Free PDF to Word Doc Converter is a free application that you can download and install. I haven't tested it myself.
Best wishes,
Hans

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

The process for converting a PDF file to Word is likely to be about as useful as a process for converting vegetable soup back into raw vegetables. For most documents it is likely to be quicker and more accurate to simply retype the text.
StuartR

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

I agree with Stuart. We've tried a couple of PDF-to-Word applications. I'm being generous in saying we have met with limited success. The amount of time spent researching the apps, downloading, installing, and testing probably exceeded the time it would've taken to retype the document.

Joe
Joe

DaveA
GoldLounger

Post by DaveA »

I now use OmniPage Pro 17 to OCR most pdf files that I need to obtain and use with Word.

Before that all I did was copy and paste from the pdf into Word and it worked most of the time. True one had to copy and paste page by page, so a long document will take some time.

But if a document has been protected, some OCR programs can still read them, but others can not.
I am so far behind, I think I am First :evilgrin:
Genealogy....confusing the dead and annoying the living

Dave Davison
SilverLounger

Post by Dave Davison »

Thanks each for the comments & opinions; since submitting my post I have tried various trial & error methods and find that -in fact- a converter is not needed. I opened the pdf file with Foxit reader 3.2, to discover that the cursor is (as expected) a hand which is unable to highlight any text BUT discovered that by hitting the Ctrl key and letter "A" together, the entire text of 23 pages is highlighted. Right clicking then does not provide the option to "Save" the selected text BUT Hitting the Ctrl + "C" keys together does. The text which is then on the clipboard can of course be pasted into a blank Word document which can be edited. I was able to edit the document in question quite easy by using the "Find" function to locate & cancel every premature line break & change every double space to a single one. [using ^p]. This way I was able to reduce the document to just 10 pages. [For some unknown reason the author had determined the length of the lines to just three quarters the width of the page.] Why go to this trouble when the pdf can be printed? Because the said pdf file is a lecture which I want to send to a prisoner in Egypt and -as you know- the cost of postage is determined by weight so it makes sense to condense the the number of pages.
:cheers: Thanks again Dave.