Adobe Fault

Dave Davison
SilverLounger

Adobe Fault

Post by Dave Davison »

I just tried to open a PDF file whilst on line but got the following error message, I'm bewildered as to how closing the web browser will enable the file to be read or downloaded as (surely) one needs to be accessing the web WITH the browser to achieve this? If I am missing something obvious, please bear with me. :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: Dave.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

StuartR
Administrator

Re: Adobe Fault

Post by StuartR »

Dave Davison wrote:...I'm bewildered as to how closing the web browser will enable the file to be read or downloaded as (surely) one needs to be accessing the web WITH the browser to achieve this? If I am missing something obvious, please bear with me. :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: Dave.
The error message is asking you to restart both programs, to clear anything in memory.
StuartR

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

Dave Davison wrote:I just tried to open a PDF file whilst on line ...
Did you get rid of that VERY OLD Acrobat Reader and install the latest 9.3 version?

What browser are you using?

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Best wishes,
Hans

Dave Davison
SilverLounger

Post by Dave Davison »

Thanks gents...it's obviously all elementary for you I guess but I feel like I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place (as the saying goes) it's all double Dutch to me. [sorry for the pun Hans] ... Stuart suggested "Start both progs" this is out of my depth guys.....for Al.... using Firefox and have the 9.2 version installed....For Hans..... opened Add / Remove programes and clicked on Change but got the following message. Would it be prudent to uninstall some / all the Adobe progs shown in the Add/Remove list and start afresh or is that making a mountain out of a molehill? Regards Dave.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

The idea of restarting the browser is:
- Close all instances of Firefox.
- Close all instances of Adobe Reader.
- Start Firefox again.
- Navigate to the page with the PDF file.
- Try to view the PDF file.
Does that work?
Best wishes,
Hans

Dave Davison
SilverLounger

Post by Dave Davison »

.....will have a go tomorrow Hans & report back..... that's if I can remember which web site the PDF file was on!!!!!Thanks Dave.

DaveA
GoldLounger

Post by DaveA »

A few says ago you were having issues installing a update to Adobe Acrobat Reader 4.3 ?. and it failed. Well, you now need to uninstall both Adobe reader and Acrobat reader and then reinstall Adobe Reader.

The failed install has messed things up good.
I am so far behind, I think I am First :evilgrin:
Genealogy....confusing the dead and annoying the living

Dave Davison
SilverLounger

Post by Dave Davison »

...thanks again....does that mean deleting all shown in the list populated with Revo Uninstaller? Thanks Dave. :scratch:

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Ad-Aware and the two Adobe Flash Player 10 items are not related to Adobe Reader, so you should leave those alone.
I'd uninstall Acrobat.com, Adobe AIR and Adobe Reader 9.2.
Best wishes,
Hans

Dave Davison
SilverLounger

Post by Dave Davison »

Thanks Hans.... unfortunately before I realised you had replied to my last post, as well as deleting the three your recommended I also got rid of A Reader & A Plash Player. After reading your post I managed to download them again with the exception of A Reader which will just not complete, on previous occasions getting to within 2 seconds then stopping with the Error message popping up. [The latest attempt got to 1 sec] To make matters even more puzzling [for me at least] is the fact that when I click the OK tab the loading bar scrolls backwards then a message appears saying the process is complete!!!!!!!. (see attachments) Looks like it's back to square one. Regards Dave. :dizzy:

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

It appears you're having problems with your Windows registry. Unfortunately, that is a rather technical subject. Is there someone in your neighbourhood you could ask to come over and have a look at it?
Best wishes,
Hans

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

I know that this is for an old version of Acrobat, but try following the instructions at http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/329/329137.html
StuartR

Dave Davison
SilverLounger

Post by Dave Davison »

What a shame.......first dead end......always regarded the Registry out of bounds.....Thanks anyway for all your help guys.
Regards Dave.... :bash: :burnup: :bif: :heavy: :help: :toilet:

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

You could try the free Foxit Reader instead of Adobe Reader.
Best wishes,
Hans

Dave Davison
SilverLounger

Post by Dave Davison »

Thanks Hans..... if this alternative [which downloaded in seconds therefore must be a lot smaller than Adobe] performs identical to it, could it be that many will opt for it instead, or has it got limitations compared with adobe? Slightly offcourse here but I noted the link you gave showed a [not free] Foxit prog for converting pdf files to Word. When I am viewing a pdf file that I think will interest a friend who does not have a computer, I simply highlight the text and copy it into a blank Word doc which I can then print out.... all with just a couple of mouse clicks so what benefit is there in purchasing the said prog? Many thanks again Dave.

Leif
Administrator

Post by Leif »

Dave Davison wrote: ....I simply highlight the text and copy it into a blank Word doc which I can then print out....
Why don't you just print the original?
Leif

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Dave Davison wrote:what benefit is there in purchasing the said prog?
The makers of the free Foxit Reader (understandably) try to get their users to buy one or more of their commercial products. Whether you need any of them only you can decide. I for myself have installed only the free Reader, and nothing else.
As Leif notes, you can print a PDF document from within Foxit Reader.
Best wishes,
Hans

Dave Davison
SilverLounger

Post by Dave Davison »

.....Yes thanks, I was aware that the orginal could be printed but I have found that many articles etc. in pdf and the like are created with lots of double spacing and very short paragraphs which in some lengthy articles means a waste of paper, hence after pasting to a Word doc where -with a little manipulation- doing a search with ^l & ^p etc. I can eliminate the unwanted return signs thus drastically shortening the length of the article. Regards again Dave.

Dave Davison
SilverLounger

Post by Dave Davison »

....further to this thread, I just got a prompt from Secunia saying there was an update for Adobe so I clicked the appropriate tab but the process failed so I just terminated the action. Now I constantly get the attached message which is irritating, what must I do to stop it appearing? I did download Foxit Reader 3.1 as per Hans' advice [post 5889] so if that is adequate, what should I do about the Adobe stuff I have installed, should I uninstall it all and start again or what please? Thanks Dave.