Anyone Using KeePass and Dropbox to Sync iPhone/iPad?

BobH
UraniumLounger

Anyone Using KeePass and Dropbox to Sync iPhone/iPad?

Post by BobH »

DD gifted both HL and myself with iPads (originals). We use them mostly for reading books and web surfing. The problem is that web surfing requires a lot of registering on forums and other places where passwords are also required. Because neither of us has a good memory (or much of any at all, any more), we use KeePass to store all kinds of information including the passwords we use on all those web pages. This has worked beautifully on a Windows platform, but the iPad complicates the problem because of Jobs' failure to include USB ports and home wifi network connectivity.

After exploring different avenues, I found iKeePass (iPhone/iPad add) but could not find a way to sync the apple with the Windows platforms. More googling led me to Dropbox. The idea of a private dropbox for keeping information available to various devices, including mixed platforms, is very appealing and quite useful. (We can only trust that the advertised encryption and privacy will not be hacked, or delete files as quickly as possible. Of course, if you are truly paranoid you will wonder if they really deleted the files :scratch: )

So far, I've been unsuccessful in getting the KeePass database file to sync with iKeePass. I followed the steps described in various how-to's but cannot get iKeePass to accept my database. The Windows version of KeePass produces a database file with extension .kdbx. All of the how-to's describe files with .kdb extensions. One older web page stated that the process did not yet work with .kdbx databases; however it was more than a year old. I don't know if this limitation has been overcome.

If anyone can share any information about using KeePass and Dropbox to sync data across platforms, I would be most grateful.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs