Error message when opening .PDF in AR 10.0.1

emiliaserv
NewLounger

Error message when opening .PDF in AR 10.0.1

Post by emiliaserv »

Virtually every time I open a .PDF file I get an error message (see attachment) although basically nothing is wrong and after clicking OK I have full access to the file.

Any ideas on how to get rid of this message? I would add that AR has been troublesome for ages, in version 9 I was unable to update (usual message telling me update is available and ready to install, but installation failed every time) even though eventually I completely removed AR and reinstalled (same message persisted). This new version 10 does not have the same problem but instead displays this error message every time I open a file

Thanks

Graham

PS
Sorry I should add that I'm using 64-bit win 7
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by StuartR on 28 Feb 2011, 08:30, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Replaced PDF file with embedded picture with an inline image

StuartR
Administrator

Re: Error message when opening .PDF in AR 10.0.1

Post by StuartR »

This error message is discussed here on the Adobe Forums. There are a number of suggested fixes there.
StuartR

emiliaserv
NewLounger

Re: Error message when opening .PDF in AR 10.0.1

Post by emiliaserv »

This error message is discussed here on the Adobe Forums. There are a number of suggested fixes there.
Thanks Stuart, actually I seem to remember looking at that thread last year when I was having problems with AR9 but had not been back recently.

Anyway, the problem is certainly caused by Windows Speech Recognition (that I use). I followed the XP SP3 compatibility hint but this leads to another message appearing (discussed here):

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/860/cpsid_86063.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I have decided to go with no protected mode as this seems to cure the problem completely, don't know if I should be worried about having no "protection", I'm using Office 2007.

In any event, I agree with those people complaining about all these problems with AR in recent versions, don't know whether the fault lies at Adobe and/or Microsoft's door but they certainly ought to get their acts together on this one :mad:

Graham