Text file comparison utilities

agibsonsw
SilverLounger

Text file comparison utilities

Post by agibsonsw »

Hello.

Does anyone have a recommendation for comparing text (or html) files? I found one called 'ExamDiff'. It does the job but only highlights the lines containing the difference. I sometimes spend a while trying to spot the difference only to realise that it is a space added at the end of a line.

Thanks, Andy.
"I'm here to save your life. But if I'm going to do that, I'll need total uninanonynymity." Me Myself & Irene.

HansV
Administrator

Re: Text file comparison utilities

Post by HansV »

I don't have recommendations, but you could use Microsoft Word's Compare feature. Or perhaps you'll find something in Free File Comparison and Differencing Utilities.
Best wishes,
Hans

AlanMiller
BronzeLounger

Post by AlanMiller »

I haven't tried this, but ComponentSoftware Visual Diff for Windows at least appears to address your white space issue:
"Change detection by line, by word or by character.
Smart white-space difference analysis option. "

:free:ware 1.2MB

Alan

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

agibsonsw wrote:Does anyone have a recommendation for comparing text (or html) files?
I use WinMerge

John Gray
PlatinumLounger

Post by John Gray »

Bigaldoc wrote:
agibsonsw wrote:Does anyone have a recommendation for comparing text (or html) files?
I use WinMerge
Me too!
John Gray

"(or one of the team)" - how your hospital appointment letter indicates that you won't be seeing the Consultant...

agibsonsw
SilverLounger

Post by agibsonsw »

Thank you. I've installed WinMerge and it looks good. I can compare folders as well - that's very handy. And it has a nice splashscreen (it says in the promo).

I didn't install the ComponentSoftware one. The web page has large and bold text and lots of exclamation marks !! That always makes me suspicious. Andy.
"I'm here to save your life. But if I'm going to do that, I'll need total uninanonynymity." Me Myself & Irene.

jonwallace
5StarLounger
Location: "What a mighty long bridge to such a mighty little old town"

Post by jonwallace »

Notepad++ has a compare function. Load the two files into notepad++ then go Plugins->compare...
John

“Always trust a microbiologist because they have the best chance of predicting when the world will end”
― Teddie O. Rahube

agibsonsw
SilverLounger

Post by agibsonsw »

Is there anything Notepad++ can't do? I think when I finish studying Dreamweaver, I might revert to NP++. Andy.

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

Since we're continuing to list other products, I've been a (free) NoteTab Lite user for quite some time and it also has file compare function. Fookes Software - NoteTab - Versions

The main reason I ever went to the first recommendation I made was the FOLDER comparison, but files is just as nice.

Good luck Andy!

agibsonsw
SilverLounger

Post by agibsonsw »

I 'kinda' wish you hadn't recommended this - my editor list is approaching 20!

But you gotta love the name 'Fookes Software' :grin:

ChrisJakarta
StarLounger

Post by ChrisJakarta »

I have used TextPad for many years, and find it fills my needs. This also has a file comparison facility.

Chris