Secunia PSI 2.0 finds End-of-Life programme

MalcolmWalker
3StarLounger

Secunia PSI 2.0 finds End-of-Life programme

Post by MalcolmWalker »

Secunia PSI 2.0 gives my system a score of 99%; there is one programme listed as being end-of-life and that is MS Office PowerPoint Viewer 2003. There is no entry for this programme in Control Panel | Programs and Features nor does it appear in the Revo Uninstaller 1.9.1. I have no recall of installing it and an installation file is not present in the Downloads folder.

As the PowerPoint Viewer 2003 is no longer available I seem to have the choice of three options:

1. Manual deletion of the file at C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\PowerPoint Viewer\PPTVIEW.EXE and rely on third-party cleanup tools to tidy up leftover files and registry entries
2. Download and install PowerPoint Viewer 2007 which I don’t need as I have MS Office 2007 including PowerPoint on my system. Then assuming the EXE file is overwritten uninstall through the correct procedure.
3. Do nothing

Perhaps a lounger would care to comment on my options or even suggest other possibilities.

Malcolm

HansV
Administrator

Re: Secunia PSI 2.0 finds End-of-Life programme

Post by HansV »

If you want a perfect score, it's probably sufficient to choose #1 (in fact, I'd delete the entire PowerPoint Viewer folder). Even if it is not the official way to uninstall it, it won't harm.
Best wishes,
Hans

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

Not being a big fan of Secunia, I would probably do something like this.
Go to the location you mentioned and RENAME the exe file to something like PPTVIEW.old and then let things run along as normal to see if there is any adverse affect. Make sure you can still view a PP file OK.
See if you have made Secunia happy.
You can always rename the file back to exe if there are problems.

After a reasonable time with no ill effects, dump the PPTVIEW.old file along with any other files in the folder.
Run a utility like CCleaner to clean up any debris.
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

Roderunner
5StarLounger

Post by Roderunner »

Malcolm, I agree with Bob, use default setting for CCleaner, run the registry cleaner then the cleaner, reboot then run a scan with Secunia.
Windows 11 Home 22H2

Regards,
George.

MalcolmWalker
3StarLounger

Post by MalcolmWalker »

To the three members of the Lounge who responded to my post - apologies for my tardy response. I was curious to try Secunia PSI having read another thread on updating problems. And I was even more curious that it identified the presence of a programme I didn't know I had on my system.

I deleted the PowerPoint Viewer EXE file without repercussions at the time or since. Gentlemen, thank you for your responses - they are very much appreciated.

Roderunner
5StarLounger

Post by Roderunner »

Hi Malcolm, did you know that if you have an EXE file on your PC that is not installed, Secunia will show as having patched it.
Windows 11 Home 22H2

Regards,
George.

MalcolmWalker
3StarLounger

Post by MalcolmWalker »

Roderunner wrote:Hi Malcolm, did you know that if you have an EXE file on your PC that is not installed, Secunia will show as having patched it.
I keep installation EXE files in a download folder on the D:\ drive but Secunia does not scan them as it is configured to the C:\ drive only.

Are you suggesting that if I were to configure Secunia to scan the D:\ drive it would damage the the EXE files in the downloads folder?

Roderunner
5StarLounger

Post by Roderunner »

MalcolmWalker wrote:
Roderunner wrote:Hi Malcolm, did you know that if you have an EXE file on your PC that is not installed, Secunia will show as having patched it.
I keep installation EXE files in a download folder on the D:\ drive but Secunia does not scan them as it is configured to the C:\ drive only.
Are you suggesting that if I were to configure Secunia to scan the D:\ drive it would damage the the EXE files in the downloads folder?
Hi Malcolm, that is a good point you stated, when I posted, my info was related to last Secunia version although I did know new Secunia did scan only C: I had forgotten about it. :cheers:
Windows 11 Home 22H2

Regards,
George.