Secunia refuses to open

Dave Davison
SilverLounger

Secunia refuses to open

Post by Dave Davison »

Seems from this thread http://secunia.com/community/forum/thre ... fter_setup that countless people are experiencing the same problem as me with the update for Secunia. Downloads & installs ok but refuses to open. I followed the directions in the thread but the fault remains. Any ideas please as to how to resolve this? If I un-install it with Revo & install the older version that I have saved on my memory stick, it works instantly.
ps I have just discovered that (in the event that anyone else is experiencing this problem) a complete scan can be performed on line using this link. http://secunia.com/vulnerability_scanni ... ?task=load so -though second best - it is a good alternative. :scratch: Regards Dave.

HansV
Administrator

Re: Secunia refuses to open

Post by HansV »

I moved this thread because it has nothing to do with MS Office.
Best wishes,
Hans

Roderunner
5StarLounger

Post by Roderunner »

Dave Davison wrote:Seems from this thread http://secunia.com/community/forum/thre ... fter_setup that countless people are experiencing the same problem as me with the update for Secunia. Downloads & installs ok but refuses to open. I followed the directions in the thread but the fault remains. Any ideas please as to how to resolve this? If I un-install it with Revo & install the older version that I have saved on my memory stick, it works instantly.
ps I have just discovered that (in the event that anyone else is experiencing this problem) a complete scan can be performed on line using this link. http://secunia.com/vulnerability_scanni ... ?task=load so -though second best - it is a good alternative. :scratch: Regards Dave.
Hi Dave, what firewall are you using?
Windows 11 Home 22H2

Regards,
George.

Dave Davison
SilverLounger

Post by Dave Davison »

.....same one as before the problem occurred, the one that comes with XP Proff. "Security Essentials".... Thank you Dave.

Roderunner
5StarLounger

Post by Roderunner »

Dave, "Security Essentials" is not a Firewall. I suggest removing ALL your anti virus/malware programs and install Outpost Security Suite Free I'm using it on a laptop & desktop both running W7 Home Premium. It works on XP also.
Windows 11 Home 22H2

Regards,
George.

tedshemyers
2StarLounger

Post by tedshemyers »

You might also try FileHippo.com free Update Checker. I used this almost exclusively before Secuia v2. (Upper right hand corner of web page)
Have a Great Day!
Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 MHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 4 GB RAM, 320 GB HD, Win 7 Ultimate 64 Bit

Dave Davison
SilverLounger

Post by Dave Davison »

Thanks for the two links... however Roderunner, you leave me somewhat confused (which you may have deduced) as I understood from post 38725 that what I am using isin fact a firewall. Regards Dave.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Argus
GoldLounger

Post by Argus »

And I think it is fine as it is, Dave; as long as you don't want outbound protection (that the firewall controls which software can contact the net). I don't think we should complicate the matter, introducing more possible causes for errors, now that you have got your PC wiped and the OS installed, as mentioned elsewhere. You also have this case open, the search thingy.

So, changing FW wouldn't change a thing here; Windows XP firewall is OK.
Byelingual    When you speak two languages but start losing vocabulary in both of them.

Dave Davison
SilverLounger

Post by Dave Davison »

Thanks ......appreciate the responses. Dave.

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

Per your post 41192, when asked what firewall you were using:

Quote: the one that comes with XP Proff. "Security Essentials"

and Roderunner said that was not a firewall. He is correct. What you are showing is the Windows built in firewall, not one from XP Proff. THIS IS OK though. The Windows firewall is adequate in most cases.
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

I moved a sequence of replies about "who is Dave" to the Scuttlebutt forum, where they clearly belong.
StuartR