LibreOffice 3.3

jonwallace
5StarLounger
Location: "What a mighty long bridge to such a mighty little old town"

LibreOffice 3.3

Post by jonwallace »

LibreOffice 3.3 (the breakaway version from OpenOffice) has just been released. This is based (I believe) on the Go-oo branch of openoffice and claims (among other things) improved MS Office compatibility.

Get it here.

Coincidentally, OpenOffice 3.3.0 is also available here

Oh, and just a quick reminder not to fall for the sites that want to SELL you either of these programs, they are :free: from the links I gave.
John

“Always trust a microbiologist because they have the best chance of predicting when the world will end”
― Teddie O. Rahube

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Re: LibreOffice 3.3

Post by Bigaldoc »

Very intresting, John. I'd not heard of this product until now. Do you perchance know of a place (link) that compares its features with Open Office? I will be looking via Google too, but I just thought I'd ask in case you already know.

Trying to decide if I should give it a try or not. I'm not a "heavy" user but it's always nice to find some feature that I can use along the way. I am already using Open Office 3.3 ... Thanks for posting.

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

John, it didn't take long to find a number of hits. This one is a start: OpenOffice, LibreOffice 3.3 Final Released

A short quote from that page begins to explain things:

• Oracle, with the purchase of the software company Sun, is the current main sponsor of the Open Source project. Members of the Open Office project formed The Document Foundation back in September 2010 and made available a fork of Open Office that they called Libre Office. Open Office is governed by the Community Council which is dependent on Oracle which has led to disputes in the past which eventually led to the departure of independent developers and the forming of The Document Foundation and Libre Office.

(The underline is from me.)

I don't know if this means "trouble in river city" so I think I might just give Libre Office a try.

DaveA
GoldLounger

Post by DaveA »

It is just like anything else, if some one does not like what or how things are going, they will just grab their ball and go play some where else. :evilgrin: :flee:
I am so far behind, I think I am First :evilgrin:
Genealogy....confusing the dead and annoying the living

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

DaveA wrote:It is just like anything else, if some one does not like what or how things are going, they will just grab their ball and go play some where else. :evilgrin: :flee:
Yeah, WE did that one year ago this month, didn't we Dave? Remember Norton Utilities of days gone by? One of the handiest kits for most of us back then. Taken over by "another company" it disappeared into the woodwork.

None of us, on the "outside" may ever know what has gone on in this multi-billion dollar acquisition, but we should give the FREE software a fair chance to succeed.

jonwallace
5StarLounger
Location: "What a mighty long bridge to such a mighty little old town"

Post by jonwallace »

Bigaldoc wrote:Very intresting, John. I'd not heard of this product until now. Do you perchance know of a place (link) that compares its features with Open Office? I will be looking via Google too, but I just thought I'd ask in case you already know.

Trying to decide if I should give it a try or not. I'm not a "heavy" user but it's always nice to find some feature that I can use along the way. I am already using Open Office 3.3 ... Thanks for posting.
The ever-reliable :innocent: wikipedia has a nice overview at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenOffice.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
John

“Always trust a microbiologist because they have the best chance of predicting when the world will end”
― Teddie O. Rahube