Software pricing.

PaulB
BronzeLounger

Software pricing.

Post by PaulB »

I came across this site while researching graphic software prices. If it wasn't for the If-it-sounds-too-good-to-be-true mantra, I'd buy all my S/W here. Has anyone heard of this site?
Regards,
Paul

The pessimist complains about the wind. The optimist expects it to change. The realist adjusts his sails.

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Re: Software pricing.

Post by ChrisGreaves »

PaulB wrote: Has anyone heard of this site?
Not me; not until now.
"Download" cuts out Overhead, as Seth Godin is so fond of pointing out.
I'm old-fashioned; I don't see a bricks-and-mortar address anywhere.
On The other hand they seems to have many different packages on show there, so maybe they have built a potentially successful enterprise by setting out to do software sales efficiently in a big way.
I doubt that MSoft would let them get away with Pirated copies.
He who plants a seed, plants life.

Leif
Administrator

Post by Leif »

PaulB wrote:Has anyone heard of this site?
Nope - but I came across Warning: These are internet scams :: software-supreme.com which shows it is just a month old, and according to software-supreme.com | WOT Reputation Scorecard, the server is located in HK.

The words 'plague' and 'avoid like' spring to mind...
Leif

Argus
GoldLounger

Post by Argus »

A quick search gives; Hong Kong IP (starts with 112, didn't have to search for that one, and yep, APNIC points to a HK ISP, but that doesn’t tell us much about where the, ehm, business is); seems to be cheap OEM software, as the site title says. For example a check for the latest MSFT OS gives 3 versions and 32/64 thus 6 products, but the information on the individual pages says nothing if it's OEM or not, so one has to go on the site description "OEM Software". And OEM versions are cheaper, no matter where you buy them.

But I wouldn't trust 'em one bit.

According to this thread:
http://419.myfreeforum.org/software_sup ... t4460.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

it's a software download fraud of some sort. I don't know, pirated or something else, I guess.
Byelingual    When you speak two languages but start losing vocabulary in both of them.

PaulB
BronzeLounger

Post by PaulB »

Thanks for your input. Makes you wonder, though. If I could find the site so easily and you guys could identify it so quickly as a potential fraud, why have Microsoft, Google, Adobe et al. not come down on them like a ton of bricks?
Regards,
Paul

The pessimist complains about the wind. The optimist expects it to change. The realist adjusts his sails.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

I guess it would be very difficult, if not impossible to do so with a company that operates from China.
Best wishes,
Hans

Argus
GoldLounger

Post by Argus »

PaulB wrote:... why have Microsoft, Google, Adobe et al. not come down on them like a ton of bricks?
I don't know, but as Leif mentioned, this incarnation of the site has only been around for a month; and also, it's another jurisdiction. Companies, no matter how global they might be, have to obey local laws as well, and then it might take some time to get things done, if possible.
Byelingual    When you speak two languages but start losing vocabulary in both of them.

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

PaulB wrote:I came across this site while researching graphic software prices. If it wasn't for the If-it-sounds-too-good-to-be-true mantra, I'd buy all my S/W here. Has anyone heard of this site?
Don't know anything about this site but Chris mentions "no brick and mortar" address. Clicking on "About Us," brings up this pic and address. ( of course, anyone could display whatever they want but not necessarily a true factual address )
Capture9.PNG
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

viking33 wrote:... Chris mentions "no brick and mortar" address.
Just quoting my canny 70-year old Accountant, who has "seen it all".
He has a few very plain guidelines.
"No bricks and mortar?" is one of them.

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

Along the lines of my last post, here is a snapshot of my winter retreat in the islands. :grin: :pirate:
slide5.jpg
BOB

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

This thread calls to mind a question.

Does anyone know of a reliable online source for vetting etailers? Something like the BBB in the States or a Snopes work-alike for establishing the bona fides of online sellers?
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

Hey Jude
5StarLounger

Post by Hey Jude »

I think it is called "Wire Fraud" and the Federal Trade Commission aka FTC handles reporting of it, as well as the Federal Bureau of Investigation aka FBI http://www.ftc.gov/opa/1999/02/hare3.shtm

There is also a site called econsumer.gov where you can post online complaints about online transactions with foreign companies as well http://www.econsumer.gov/english/

You can submit a complaint here https://www.ftccomplaintassistant.gov/ Here you can file a complaint and "internet" is one of the aspects that is listed

I know our law office has used these sites to file complaints on behalf of clients.
♫...Take a sad song and make it better . . .♫ Image

PaulB
BronzeLounger

Post by PaulB »

viking33 wrote: ...a snapshot of my winter retreat in the islands. :grin: :pirate:
So you're the new guy who just moved in up the block?
Regards,
Paul

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

viking33 wrote:Clicking on "About Us," brings up this pic and address.
Well, Chris has got nothing better to do on a Saturday night but fire up Google maps, key in "3700 mansell road, georgia, usa" and drag street view into the argument (grin)

The building is, oh dear!, hidden behind a row of trees, but a little pop-up label says "Impact Marketing".

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

PaulB wrote:
viking33 wrote: ...a snapshot of my winter retreat in the islands. :grin: :pirate:
So you're the new guy who just moved in up the block?
:cloud9: :hushmouth: :whisper: The place with the security agents in black SUVs parked in inconspicuous locations. They will probably stop in to talk with you shortly! :laugh:
BOB

jscher2000
2StarLounger

Post by jscher2000 »

This is a handy site for doing a little research on domain names: http://whois.domaintools.com/software-supreme.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Unfortunately, some of the more interesting services require a paid subscription.

One of the curious/suspicious features of the site is that it states "Copyright © 2005-2010 software-supreme.com" but the domain was just registered to the current owner on 12/07/2010. It probably is part of a group of sites that has operated for many years but keeps moving from domain to domain.

It's also interesting to search the phone number: http://blog.unmaskparasites.com/2010/12 ... re-stores/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And of course, I don't think it's ever legal to sell OEM software via download; the entire basis for OEM licensing is that the software accompanies or is installed on some hardware.