Filezilla Help Needed

BobH
UraniumLounger

Filezilla Help Needed

Post by BobH »

I've used Filezilla for some time now. The problem is that I use it sporadically, typically with long periods intervening between uses. I want to upload a file with the extension .wm to my host site. Filezilla does not display this file in its "source" window. I have verified that the file exists on my hd. I checked to be sure that I have no file filters active in Filezilla.

I then looked for and found a Filezilla forum and ran into a Catch-22. I registered at the forum a long time ago because when I try to register using my email address the response is that the address is already registered on the forum. I then tried to login, but the forum requires username, email address and password to login. It even requires a username and email addy to request a pw reset email. I can't remember the username I registered. I tried all that I could think of ever using on forums. I even tried to log a bug report only to find that I first must register and login on the forum.

Sooooooooooo, I'm stuck.

I need to be able to log into the forum. If anyone here has Filezilla forum membership, I would like to know how get around my login problem. Reading FAQ and doing searches failed to reveal what I need to know. I couldn't come up with a search argument that returned few enough results to be useful. Because of just this sort of problem (and my aging brain), I recently started using KeyPass to keep up with such information; but the registration preceded KeyPass by months.

I also need to find out why Filezilla doesn't see the .wm file and would welcome an answer; however getting the forum issue resolved would be ideal because I'm certain I'm going to use the forum for other issues.

Any help will be greatly appreciated and gratefully received.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

MalcolmWalker
3StarLounger

Re: Filezilla Help Needed

Post by MalcolmWalker »

Is there a particular reason why you need to recover your original registration? To fully access the forum you could register again with a new user name and and a new password.

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Thank you for the help, Malcolm.

I tried to register again but it won't accept my email address as a new registration.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

You could use another e-mail address - if you don't have one, you can get a new Gmail or Hotmail address just for this purpose.
Best wishes,
Hans

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

I don't use Filezilla so I don't know what file types ARE in the window you see. If your .WM file is binary (is it short for .WMA?) why don't you change the file type to one Filezilla DOES allow, upload the file, then change its extension back after it's uploaded.

Be careful in the process! My web host, for example, does NOT allow the upload of .EXE files.

MalcolmWalker
3StarLounger

Post by MalcolmWalker »

BobH wrote:I tried to register again but it won't accept my email address as a new registration.
Why not try another email client. There are others besides Filezilla and one of them may suit your needs better. I Googled `free ftp clients' and several possibilties were presented.

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

MalcolmWalker wrote:I Googled `free ftp clients' and several possibilties were presented.
I use coreFTP lite on the rare occasions I need to FTP. It's free and it must be easy to use because I don't have any problems with it :grin:

Ken
edited to add:
BobH wrote:Sooooooooooo, I'm stuck.
No Bob, that's me! :groan:

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

BobH wrote: I tried to register again but it won't accept my email address as a new registration.
You could try using the email address at FileZilla - Contact.

Joe
Joe

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Thank you all for the suggestions.

I'll pursue this further, but so far the new year has brought me ill luck with all things electronic. I'm waiting for the fates to realign.

Yes, there are other FTP clients but I've used Filezilla for so long that its look and feel have trained my mind and hands. Others will only increase the likelihood of error - and further frustration.

I'm aware that i could create a new identity and have another go, but I was rather puzzled by the unique (to me) requirement of both a username and email addy plus password to gain entry and hoped that someone would shed light on possible reasons behind the paradigm. I hesitated to send a personal email on a matter that is my making. In fact, I was quite prepared to file a bug report but was taken off guard by the login needs.

Again. Thanks to all!
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)