Everything

diegol
StarLounger

Everything

Post by diegol »

My first contribution to the only board I was subscribed to for several uninterrupted years in WL. Actually I've always liked the original "Software finds and wants" board name more than all of its successors, but the spirit is what matters, and well, I think Mr. Freeware Miller is among us. :smile:

Today: the best application I grabbed during 2009 (not conspicuously, thanks to WL). It's called Everything search engine ("Everything" for short). From the website:
Locate files and folders by name instantly.
  • Small installation file
  • Clean and simple user interface
  • Quick file indexing
  • Quick searching
  • Minimal resource usage
  • Share files with others easily
  • Real-time updating
So the app is pretty simple: a find-as-you-type program, really fast, which yields results on whole drives or only the specified folder. Scanning doesn't take very long and apparently it doesn't generate a huge file either. I've given Windows' file find facility the heave-ho a month ago.

:argentina: Diegol

HansV
Administrator

Re: Everything

Post by HansV »

When Woody's Lounge was set up a long time ago, the purpose of the Software Finds and Wants forum was to discuss freeware.
Over the years, it evolved into a forum for all kinds of software that didn't fit into any of the other forums, both freeware and commercial software. So even before Windows Secrets took over, the Software Finds and Wants forum had already been renamed to Other Software Applications, or something like that.
Best wishes,
Hans

Sundog
5StarLounger

Post by Sundog »

diegoI: Is that a "Sundog" I see lurking in your avatar? (Very nice!)
Sundog

diegol
StarLounger

Post by diegol »

HansV wrote:When Woody's Lounge was set up a long time ago, the purpose of the Software Finds and Wants forum was to discuss freeware.
Over the years, it evolved into a forum for all kinds of software that didn't fit into any of the other forums, both freeware and commercial software. So even before Windows Secrets took over, the Software Finds and Wants forum had already been renamed to Other Software Applications, or something like that.
I know that Hans, and it's fine that the forum keeps its current name. I just can't help, when scrolling down the list of forums, to think "Software Finds and Wants... errr no, what whas it called?".

diegol
StarLounger

Post by diegol »

Sundog wrote:diegoI: Is that a "Sundog" I see lurking in your avatar?
I didn't know there was a real meaning behind "Sundog", so thanks for making me aware of them.

Now it seems redundant to answer it's not a Sundog in my avatar :smile:. Back in 2000 I made first contact with computers and had a lot of time to play around with them. Playtime included Windows (98... sigh!), Word, Excel, Powerpoint, Music players/rippers/editors, Video players, and many other things, among them, image editors.

In 2002 (year I joined Woody's Lounge) I didn't have that much free time, but my liking for computers kept me trying things out, often at the cost of some sleep. One of those tryouts took place at work, in lunchtime, when I picked a photo of myself and used several editors (I would say PhotoEditor and IrfanView, but I really don't remember) on it. When done with simple special effects, I used another application... Everything will help me find it... there it is: Novamatic 2000 to add those sparkling effects.

As I liked the final result, I replaced my avatar at that time (a flag of Argentina -- which I believe, but never asked, was the cause of the :argentina: flag being added to the list of available images) for this second and last one so far. Since it looks very messy, I wondered what people might make of it... A Sundog seems a nice fit :grin:.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

To Sundog: I had never heard of a "sun dog" either - thanks for the link.
To Diegol: I had assumed that your avatar was a manipulated picture of yourself, but I had no idea how you had done it, so thanks too.
Best wishes,
Hans

Argus
GoldLounger

Post by Argus »

HansV wrote:To Sundog: I had never heard of a "sun dog" either - thanks for the link.
I, also, had never heard the word Sundog (sun dog), but then English isn't my native language, but when I saw it explained, I recognised it. Thanks.

Slightly related to sundogs and other halos; just a month ago a rare halo was noticed in the southern part of Sweden; rare in the sense not being seen so often outside the Antarctic region. The very common 22° halo was there (common as sundogs), but also the rare 46° halo and several other components (helic arc, supralateral arc etc.)

An image was sent to the people at SMHI (Swedish Meteorological and Hydrological Institute), and they suspected that there could be more to be found in the image, so they contacted the British scientist Les Cowley, expert on meteorological optics.

He analysed the image and found some rare components; "... the fainter arcs are the gems of this display ...".

I have a link to the page about the halo at SMHI but it's mostly in Swedish, with some of his comments, the pictures and a link to Les Cowley's site (mentioned at the end of this post). So I think I will link to his page with the comments instead: http://www.atoptics.co.uk/fz368.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

His site, which is full of interesting information and beautiful pictures, is well worth a visit at: http://www.atoptics.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Byelingual    When you speak two languages but start losing vocabulary in both of them.

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

Argus wrote:
HansV wrote:To Sundog:
Slightly related to sundogs and other halos; just a month ago a rare halo was noticed in the southern part of Sweden; rare in the sense not being seen so often outside the Antarctic region. The very common 22° halo was there (common as sundogs), but also the rare 46° halo and several other components (helic arc, supralateral arc etc.)
Spectacular! ( leave it to the Swedes ) :laugh:
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.