Flash Cookie Cleaner

Gloria E
5StarLounger

Flash Cookie Cleaner

Post by Gloria E »

Has anyone used the above subject program? I would like to know if it works as advertised or not and if it's a necessary application?

All information will be appreciated.

Gloria E
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive & well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, red wine in the other, body thoroughly used up. Totally worn out & screaming "Wow, Wee What a ride!

HansV
Administrator

Re: Flash Cookie Cleaner

Post by HansV »

Hi Gloria,

I assume you mean the utility available from www.flashcookiecleaner.com.

I'm a bit concerned about the site - it's WOT scorecard isn't great:
x411.png
I use CCleaner - you can set it to remove flash cookies: see CCleaner - Cleaning Flash cookies.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Best wishes,
Hans

Gloria E
5StarLounger

Post by Gloria E »

Thanks Hans, that's good enough for me. Something told me I should ask before installing and I'm glad I did. Flash Cookie Cleaner will not be found on my system.

Thanks again.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive & well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, red wine in the other, body thoroughly used up. Totally worn out & screaming "Wow, Wee What a ride!

wasbit
2StarLounger

Post by wasbit »

I've been using this for some months now on W7 Pro & it's absolutely fine. It's a portable/no install app although I haven't checked to see if it leaves any changes in the registry.

There seems to be some concern about Flash Cookies also called Supercookies or Local Shared Objects which aren't removed by other cleaners but Flash Cookie Cleaner does the job.

Another good cleaner for LSOs but should be used with care is Bleachbit - http://bleachbit.sourceforge.net/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

BTW anything you get from Cnet or Softpedia is normally tested & free of malware.

Edit: Sorry Hans I didn't see the link at the bottom of your post.

Ccleaner hasn't been cleaning the LSOs even though all the boxes are ticked under the Applications tab (although possibly because I'm using version 2.27).
Both Flash Cookie Cleaner & Bleachbit clean up those left behind by Ccleaner
Regards
wasbit

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Thanks, my concerns were apparently unfounded. I'll keep on using CCleaner though since I use that anyway.
Best wishes,
Hans

Hey Jude
5StarLounger

Post by Hey Jude »

I too am an avid user of CCleaner :-) However, I read on the Kim Komando site about "How Flash cookies threaten your privacy" and found that changing a few settings in the "flash player settings manager" gave me the option of accepting or denying them so the ones I reject aren't on my pc. I thought I would pass this along. I've found it very useful :-) It doesn't require a separate download of a specific program to delete them after-the-fact. This link gives a concise tutorial about flash cookies--which I found very helpful.

http://www.komando.com/tips/index.aspx?id=9508&page=1
♫...Take a sad song and make it better . . .♫ Image

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

I used the Flash Player Settings Manager some time ago to change some settings; I disabled third-party Flash cookies, for example. As a side effect, there are some videos I can't view any more, but I've decided that if the provider insists on requiring third-party cookies, I don't really need the video... :evilgrin:
Best wishes,
Hans

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

... I read on the Kim Komando site ...
Great link! Thanks for posting it...

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

HansV wrote:I used the Flash Player Settings Manager some time ago to change some settings; I disabled third-party Flash cookies, for example...
Good idea, thanks for sharing.
StuartR

PaulB
BronzeLounger

Post by PaulB »

StuartR wrote:
HansV wrote:I used the Flash Player Settings Manager some time ago to change some settings; I disabled third-party Flash cookies, for example...
Good idea, thanks for sharing.
Yes but some of the videos that Hans can no longer access are on very reputable sites like BBC News.
Regards,
Paul

The pessimist complains about the wind. The optimist expects it to change. The realist adjusts his sails.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

I think my problems with BBC audio and video have another cause - I already had those problems before I disabled 3rd-party Flash cookies.
Best wishes,
Hans

PaulB
BronzeLounger

Post by PaulB »

Perhaps your issues are different. I think we've had this discussion before. I know that I couldn't access most BBC videos until I reset some of the changes I made to Flash settings. I thought that Steve Jobs was acting like a spoiled (spoilt?) brat when it came to Flash, but maybe it is time to move on to newer/better technology.
Regards,
Paul

The pessimist complains about the wind. The optimist expects it to change. The realist adjusts his sails.

TonyE
3StarLounger

Post by TonyE »

For those using Firefox, the BetterPrivacy extension can be used to automatically remove flash-cookies when Firefox closes. You can specify which flash-cookies you want to keep.
Tony

Hey Jude
5StarLounger

Post by Hey Jude »

TonyE wrote:For those using Firefox, the BetterPrivacy extension can be used to automatically remove flash-cookies when Firefox closes. You can specify which flash-cookies you want to keep.
I installed it to see what it would do. I read thru the steps and decided to delete the Yahoo and Google LSOs and start with a clean record. So what do I do with this?
Better Privacy Screen.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
♫...Take a sad song and make it better . . .♫ Image

TonyE
3StarLounger

Post by TonyE »

Hey Jude wrote:
TonyE wrote:For those using Firefox, the BetterPrivacy extension can be used to automatically remove flash-cookies when Firefox closes. You can specify which flash-cookies you want to keep.
I installed it to see what it would do. I read thru the steps and decided to delete the Yahoo and Google LSOs and start with a clean record. So what do I do with this?
I do not manually remove any of the LSO's, I let the add-on remove them automatically when Firefox closes. I have only protected a couple which relate to my email accounts. I believe the settings.sol will only be deleted if you go to the "Options & Help" tab and select the option to "Also delete Flashplayer default cookie". That LSO stores the Flash player settings and the list of Flash sites visited.
Tony

Gloria E
5StarLounger

Post by Gloria E »

HansV wrote:I used the Flash Player Settings Manager some time ago to change some settings; I disabled third-party Flash cookies, for example. As a side effect, there are some videos I can't view any more, but I've decided that if the provider insists on requiring third-party cookies, I don't really need the video... :evilgrin:
Hans, I see no way to get into Flash Player. I have only 2 folders for it and neither one gets me into the player it self. Where will I find this illusive Settings Manager you mentioned? :scratch:

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Gloria, it's a website: Adobe - Flash Player : Settings Manager.

Read the instructions first, then click on one of the links on the left hand side of the page to manage the corresponding settings:
x412.png
Best wishes,
Hans

Gloria E
5StarLounger

Post by Gloria E »

HansV wrote:Gloria, it's a website: Adobe - Flash Player : Settings Manager.

Read the instructions first, then click on one of the links on the left hand side of the page to manage the corresponding settings:
x412.png
Thank you for the information, I will check it out and see if I care to bother with to use it.