Registry Cleaner

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Re: Registry Cleaner

Post by viking33 »

viking33 wrote:
BobH wrote:I was frustrated by very long start-up times and tried several different programs to control the problem. Eventually I found Soluto Beta (IIRC someone here mentioned it but I can't remember who it was.).

You can download it here. Soluto Beta Download

It is simple and easy to use. It allows you to choose which programs must open for start-up and which can be delayed. I cut my wait from 3 and a half minutes to 2 minutes 6 seconds.
I downloaded it and tried to install it ( more from curiosity than need ) but it wouldn't install. insisted that I needed .NET Framework 3.5 SP1, Which I should have had but I DL'd from the MS link it provided. Installed again and rebooted. Still no go from the Soluto install. I sent a message to the authors, so we'll see how they respond. :scratch:
Latest from Soluto is that I have forwarded a copy of the log files for them to peruse.
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

agibsonsw
SilverLounger

Post by agibsonsw »

It could even be your anti-virus that slows shutdown. You could disable it (temporarily!), wait a minute and then re-boot
to see if it remains slow. But don't use the internet or a network in the meantime!
But other (bigger brains) might advise you against this..?
"I'm here to save your life. But if I'm going to do that, I'll need total uninanonynymity." Me Myself & Irene.

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

Not sure I could do that since it automatically searches for my network when it boots. Thanks.
Regards,
hlewton

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

Use Task Manager to check the running processes immediately before you shut down.

Joe
Joe

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

OK thanks
Regards,
hlewton

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

JoeP wrote:Use Task Manager to check the running processes immediately before you shut down.

Joe
Don't know what it all means but here is what I found.

There are between 46 and 48 processes are running at shutdown and I have no idea what most of them are or why it varies from 46 to 48. The four largest are explorer.exe at 32,616 K Mem Usage, svchost.exe at 32,456 K Mem Usage (there are 6 other incidents of svchost.exe running at significantly lower usages and different User Names like Network Service, System, and Local Service), my anti-virus program at 31,780 Mem Usage but later it drops down to 7,186 Mem Usage, and searchindexer.exe at 19,348 K Mem Usage. The CPU Usage is from 0 to 2%
Regards,
hlewton

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

It is not the size but what they are doing. How about posting a screenshot of all of them? There are many things that could delay a shutdown a couple of which are - waiting for an external device to respond & waiting for a network device to respond.

Joe
Joe

agibsonsw
SilverLounger

Post by agibsonsw »

searchindexer.exe is the Windows Search feature. It indexes files on your computer to make searching faster. I believe it to be an unnecessary drain on resources.
I rarely search and am prepared to put up with a delay when I do. You could disable this feature for a specific drive. In Explorer right-click the drive, properties and uncheck 'Allow Indexing Service to..'. Or go to Run, type services.msc. Double-click Indexing Service and change its start-up to Disabled to the whole service.
Again, it's worth testing this to see if it is causing the problem. Andy.
"I'm here to save your life. But if I'm going to do that, I'll need total uninanonynymity." Me Myself & Irene.

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

Thank you agibsonsw I will try to disable it one way or another as soon as I try to post those screen shots Joe asked for.
Regards,
hlewton

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

The Task Manager had too many processes running to show them all in one shot so I will try to post 2 shots here. The blue line is where I broke off the first shot and continued the second and it is also highlighting what is part of my anti-virus program so I do know what those starting with "SB" are. The black line are only hiding my full name sine I hate haven't it out on the Internet though I know I usually have no control over that. Anyway here are the shots of the Task Manager
Task Manager1Mod.JPG
Task Manager2Mod.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards,
hlewton

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

agibsonsw wrote:searchindexer.exe is the Windows Search feature. It indexes files on your computer to make searching faster. I believe it to be an unnecessary drain on resources.
I rarely search and am prepared to put up with a delay when I do. You could disable this feature for a specific drive. In Explorer right-click the drive, properties and uncheck 'Allow Indexing Service to..'. Or go to Run, type services.msc. Double-click Indexing Service and change its start-up to Disabled to the whole service.
Again, it's worth testing this to see if it is causing the problem. Andy.
Was this in reference to "Windows Search.ink" because that is what I just disabled? Thanks
Regards,
hlewton

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

It appears that you have several services which could be attempting to access the "outside world" or an external peripheral at any time. The "agtserv.exe" process is part of the Atomica Online Reference Software. The "answers.exe" process is part of 1-click answers from answers.com. The "nmsrvc.exe" process is part of Network Majic. The "yahooauservice" process is part of the Yahoo Instant Messenger Automatic Update.The "lxrsii1s.exe" process is part of Lexar Security II used for safely reading Flash card drives.

If you recently installed any of these, I recommend you uninstall and see what happens.

If any of these were recently updated, the update could be causing problems. You should check their websites for a newer version.

Joe
Joe

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

JoeP wrote:It appears that you have several services which could be attempting to access the "outside world" or an external peripheral at any time. The "agtserv.exe" process is part of the Atomica Online Reference Software. The "answers.exe" process is part of 1-click answers from answers.com. The "nmsrvc.exe" process is part of Network Majic. The "yahooauservice" process is part of the Yahoo Instant Messenger Automatic Update.The "lxrsii1s.exe" process is part of Lexar Security II used for safely reading Flash card drives.

If you recently installed any of these, I recommend you uninstall and see what happens.

If any of these were recently updated, the update could be causing problems. You should check their websites for a newer version.

Joe
I haven't updated any of them recently since this problem began that I am aware of. Actually I don't even know what Atomica Online Reference Software or Network Majic is but I am going to try googling to find out. The "yahooauservice" process is something I'd like to disable but it doesn't show up in Ccleaner as a start up program. I will search to see if there is a way to disable it because I hardly if ever use instant messaging. Actually I can't remember the last time I did. The others you mentioned I do use like 1 click and Lexar secure II but I had no idea Lexar was a running process other than when I plugged the memory stick into the USB drive.

Thank you for the help Joe.
Regards,
hlewton

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

The free utility WhatInStartup lets you view and, if desired, disable startup programs and processes.

For a VERY comprehensive overview, get the free utility Autoruns for Windows, but be careful.
Best wishes,
Hans

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

Thank you Hans and that is what worries me. I have removed a program that I am sure I didn't need and there was no problem. I get conflicting views when searching for information on Network Majic because I do have a Linksys wireless router so I have left it alone. I'm not sure if removing Yahoo Software Update will get rid of the "yahooauservice" process or not but I don't think I need it. I would like to remove it is possible. I have not touched the remaining processes and don't think I will because I don't want to mess anything up I'm not certain about.

I will check out those programs you suggested.
Regards,
hlewton

agibsonsw
SilverLounger

Post by agibsonsw »

hlewton wrote:Was this in reference to "Windows Search.ink" because that is what I just disabled? Thanks
I was suggesting to disable the 'searchindexer.exe'. A .ink extension relates to a Tablet PC's ink. Did you mean .lnk?
Although this is a windows shortcut and cannot be disabled (it just points to an .exe file).

Anyway, I believe you are currently investigating other options.

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

Yes I guess it is .Lnk. Also I only see the "searchindexer.exe" in that task manager under Processes. I will try your above suggestion on disabling it.

Thanks for the help.
Regards,
hlewton