voice over IP (and other cans of worms)

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

voice over IP (and other cans of worms)

Post by stuck »

Not sure if this belongs in here in 'other apps' or if it would be better under 'networking and wireless' or even under 'hardware. However, as it's more of a rant than anything, it might be best in Scuttlebutt. I'll leave it to the Admins to decide.

I have to start with a bit of background...

I have a landline phone provided since the year dot by BT. When the Internet came along I got a PAYG dial-up connection that ran over the landline connection. First with Freeserve, which was taken over by Orange and then after someone somewhere suggested it, with Plusnet. This was back in the day when the Plusnet package included a tiny amount of webspace (both regular and ccgi). Eventually I upgraded dial-up to ASDL broadband, still with Plusnet. I still have that same, copper based, ASDL connection provided by Plusnet. I've never felt the need for a fibre connection, my copper link is plenty fast for my needs (about 18 mbps down). I know that this dual separate phone and broadband provider setup is not the cheapest option but inertia, and I can afford the cost.

A bit more background now...

The UK analogue phone network is due to be switched off at the end of Dec 2025. Also, after 5 Sept 2023, no new landlines can be set up nor can existing landlines be transferred from one provider to another.

My region of the UK is one of the first three areas where BT are turning off the analogue phone lines so BT have sent me a letter telling me how simple the switch over will be because all I'll have to do is plug my existing handset into my router and hey presto I'll be on their VOIP service called 'Digital Voice'.

Now the rant...

Except, of course, it won't be simple. Crucially, if BT blindly go ahead and switch me over to Digital Voice that action will kill my broadband connection with Plusnet. There will also be much faff involved in re-routing cables so that my existing handset can be wired into, via an adapter, to my router, assuming our very old handset can be adapted. So how to avid this impending doom? At the moment my simplest options appear to be:
1) Ditch my landline asap
2) Transfer my Plusnet broadband to BT
3) Transfer my BT landline to Plusnet asap
4) Find a VOIP provider that can deliver a 'landline' over my Plusnet broadband connection

1) is unacceptable to The Management, she hates mobiles, she likes the near prehistoric handset on our landline. I suspect though it will be where I end up after the 2025 deadline.
2) is unacceptable to me, as BT's email offering is rubbish, or perhaps even non-existent.
3) is probably the best option given that I knew nothing of this analogue to VOIP switchover until the letter from BT landed on my doormat the other day so time is of the essence. The risk is that Plusnet will screw up the change in my contract such that I will I lose my legacy webspace features in the process. Also, this option is only kicking the can down the road, because of the UK wide Dec 2025 deadline. Further, because Plusnet are owned by BT and BT treats them as their budget brand Plusnet do not nor will ever offer a VOIP service. In other words come Jan 2026 I'll be back again at option 1) or option 4)/
4) is the nearest to seamless continuity that's possible. However, the chances of our exiting handset, even with adapters, working on a VOIP service are slim and modern handsets are styled very similar to mobiles and that comes up against The Management's opinion of mobiles. There will still also be the faff of re-routing cables.

I had hoped typing all this out might make me feel better but I don't. Thanks for listening anyway,

Ken

BobH
UraniumLounger

Re: voice over IP (and other cans of worms)

Post by BobH »

Look on the bright side, Ken. You have about 18 months to fret over this.

Seriously, some other, better solution might arise between now and the deadline.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

My sympathy. I recently cancelled my BT adsl and landline. I now have CommunityFibre internet with a little box that plugs into an ethernet port and has a standard UK phone socket.
StuartR

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

BobH wrote:
20 Jul 2023, 19:01
Look on the bright side, Ken. You have about 18 months to fret over this...
Not in my case, as I said, my area is one of the first to be switched over. I've only got a few weeks to decide on a plan of action. It's annoying that this has all come at me out of the blue. I must have missed the big publicity campaign about the end of the analogue phone system :sarcasm:

Ken

RonH
SilverLounger

Post by RonH »

We lost land-line phones a couple of years ago though the supplier has yet to collect their copper cables worth money :evilgrin:

After a lot of faffing around, we finally accepted 'mobile only' together with a newly installed wireless broadband for internet and tv. Today, we do not miss the old fashioned comms but the mental adjustment took time ... probably due to very senior status.

Good luck Ken
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.
The only reason we have the 4th dimension of Time is so that everything does not happen at once.

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

StuartR wrote:
20 Jul 2023, 21:10
I now have CommunityFibre internet with a little box that plugs into an ethernet port and has a standard UK phone socket.
I just checked and the box that connects my old phone is a Grandstream HT801. It might be worth asking your (potential) new ISP if they support phone lines over this sort of device.
StuartR

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

StuartR wrote:
20 Jul 2023, 21:10
...I now have CommunityFibre internet...
I'm afraid I can't join you, they don't supply outside of London.

Ken

John Gray
PlatinumLounger

Post by John Gray »

Quite soon there will probably be no such thing as landlines. It simply requires a minor attitude readjustment to accept this inevitability. If it had never existed, then you wouldn't have missed it!

I got rid of mine about twenty years ago and haven't missed it, when "Fibre-to-the-Cabinet, Coax-to-the-Home" became available via Telewest, now Virgin Media.
John Gray

"(or one of the team)" - how your hospital appointment letter indicates that you won't be seeing the Consultant...

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

I've bought myself some time by switching my landline from BT to Plusnet. I half expected not to be able to do this but Plusnet were happy to take my order. I've already had a pile of emails from them telling me what will happen next. I've also had a message from BT saying they are sorry to see me go.

Now all I've got to do is explain to The Management that just because nothing will have appeared to have changed, things have changed and the shutdown of conventional landlines is still coming down the tracks.

Ken

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Perhaps The Management could be convinced to use a mobile phone with rotary dial...

Phone.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Best wishes,
Hans

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

:rofl:

:thumbup:

Pity it's so pricey.

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

We have not had a landline for about 25 years, not since we got cell phones and high speed Internet via cable. It took us a 'bit' longer to let go of cable having done so only about 5 years ago, IIRC.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs