Windows version of "quick look"

Skitterbug
BronzeLounger

Windows version of "quick look"

Post by Skitterbug »

A feature that Apple/Mac has is 'quick look'. It is an application that will immediately produce an image or file in viewing or readable form. It is listed in the 'right click' menu on a Mac so with a simple click, I can see what the file is without the need to open a full application (like Affinity Photo or LibreOffice).

Does Windows 11 have anything like this? Or is anyone using an app that is able to accomplish this action? :scratch: I did find "Seer" but it is on an unsecure connection so I wasn't comfortable in downloading and trying it. Any ideas will be appreciated!

Thanks!
Skitterbug :coffeetime:
A cup of coffee shared with a friend is happiness tasted and time well spent.

HansV
Administrator

Re: Windows version of "quick look"

Post by HansV »

In Windows Explorer, select View > Show > Preview Pane.
When you click on a file, you'll see a preview of the file if Windows knows how to do that.

S1881.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Best wishes,
Hans

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

HansV wrote:
15 Oct 2022, 14:55
... if Windows knows how to do that.
This appears to be based on a test of the file extent, rather than the contents of the file.
Cheers, Chris
An expensive day out: Wallet and Grimace

Skitterbug
BronzeLounger

Post by Skitterbug »

HansV wrote:
When you click on a file, you'll see a preview of the file if Windows knows how to do that.

S1881.png
Thanks Hans. This seems to work fairly well although not all types files are "shown". For example, extension .rtf will display but .doc will not. Photos will display on the right side of the window pane but in small size even though I have "large" icon selected. It is a start in the right direction though, so I am very appreciative of the information you have provided! :thumbup:

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

I guess it works like this: when you select a file, Windows looks up which application is associated with the file (if any, based on its extension), then asks that application whether it can provide a thumbnail. If so, it is shown, otherwise you'll see "No preview available".

On my PC, it works for text files, PDF files and Word documents, and picture files obviously, but not for Excel workbooks (nor Access databases, but that's to be expected).
Best wishes,
Hans

Skitterbug
BronzeLounger

Post by Skitterbug »

HansV wrote:
15 Oct 2022, 17:18
I guess it works like this: when you select a file, Windows looks up which application is associated with the file (if any, based on its extension), then asks that application whether it can provide a thumbnail. If so, it is shown, otherwise you'll see "No preview available".

On my PC, it works for text files, PDF files and Word documents, and picture files obviously, but not for Excel workbooks (nor Access databases, but that's to be expected).
I was surprised that the .doc file didn't open since I do have LibreOffice installed. But MS probably wants its own version of a word application. I will continue to learn how the O/S works and perhaps I'll find an application that will do the work that I want to accomplish. I refuse to pay a monthy subscriptions for MS Word, etc. apps. Who would have thought that we'd revert back to client/server days? But then it is all about money, I suppose. (I'm rambling)

Thanks for replying! It is good to be back in Eileen's Lounge! :grin:

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Good to have you back!
Best wishes,
Hans

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

You ought to check out Microsoft PowerToys. It has File Explorer add-ons to preview other file types.

NOTE: it also has many other useful features.
Joe

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

HansV wrote:
15 Oct 2022, 17:18
...but not for Excel workbooks...
I've not looked at a spreadsheet since I retired but isn't there any option to save a preview within an Excel workbook, which means tney can then be previewed in Explorer?

Ken

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Hmmm... - it's possible to save a thumbnail with Excel workbooks (increasing their file size), but on my PC, I still get 'This file can't be previewed'. :sad:

You might test it on your PC, who knows...
Best wishes,
Hans

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

HansV wrote:
S1881.png
Hans, thanks for this.
I tried "details pane", and that is v.good for me.

All too often a Windows Explorer window changes settings to use, say, audio properties on document files. The crude search window is awful.

With Details Pane toggled ON I can see date Created/Modified and Size for practically any file.
:thankyou:
Chris
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
An expensive day out: Wallet and Grimace

Skitterbug
BronzeLounger

Post by Skitterbug »

JoeP wrote:
16 Oct 2022, 02:48
You ought to check out Microsoft PowerToys. It has File Explorer add-ons to preview other file types.

NOTE: it also has many other useful features.
I'll give it a try. I did use it back in XP days. :laugh: Exploring Windows 11 definitely is interesting!
Thanks!