Using Default Programs

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Using Default Programs

Post by hlewton »

Posting here in this forum because this happens with many of my applications.

I have shortcuts on my desktop that use a browser to take you to a specific WEB site. I also have certain programs set as defaults to open jpeg files, pdf files, wav files, etc. Lately I have been asked to choose a program to do the functions that for so long have been set as my defaults. This is happening on all my computers, so I believe it must be something that has a common cause. I cannot trace this problem to any specific action, like Windows Updates. Two specific instances that happened recently were when I clicked on one of my desktops shortcuts which opens up Eileen’s Lounge, I was asked what program to use to open it. I had to choose FF again and of course I did tell it to always use this program. Another that happened on my wife’s computer today was when she tried opening a pdf file like she has done many times, she had to pick Acrobat Reader again. Recently I also have been asked what program to use to view or listen to mp4 files. I am curious if this is happening to others and if so, what the cause may be.

Thanks
Regards,
hlewton

HansV
Administrator

Re: Using Default Programs

Post by HansV »

This happens to me from time to time after a Windows update. After re-selecting the old default, it "sticks" for a while again. I haven't found a way to prevent this from happening.
Best wishes,
Hans

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

HansV wrote:
02 Aug 2020, 19:55
This happens to me from time to time after a Windows update. After re-selecting the old default, it "sticks" for a while again. I haven't found a way to prevent this from happening.
Yes, I did update Windows 10 version 1909 last week and maybe that is the cause. Not sure MS made this change with its updates because I never used to have to redo my default programs. Got to wonder if it was by design or a mistake on their part. Seems counter-productive to have to repeat or redo what you have already done.
Regards,
hlewton

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

Let me ask this, which is along the same lines as the topic. I will use a program that I have installed, Acrobat Reader DC. I had it set to be the default program for opening pdf files. When I tried opening a pdf file, Windows asked which program I wanted to use. I could not see Acrobat Reader DC as an option. Searching my computer for other programs was not offered to me. How could I have gotten to and used Acrobat Reader DC as my default? I ended up using Control Panel's "Choose Default Apps By File Type" but that seems a long way around to get back to what you originally had. Is there an easier way for me to have found and chosen Acrobat Reader DC as my default pdf reader?
Regards,
hlewton

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

You might try right-clicking a PDF file and selecting Open With > Choose another app from the context menu.
Select Acrobat Reader DC and tick the check box 'Always use this app to open .pdf files', then click OK.
Best wishes,
Hans

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

HansV wrote:
02 Aug 2020, 20:28
You might try right-clicking a PDF file and selecting Open With > Choose another app from the context menu.
Select Acrobat Reader DC and tick the check box 'Always use this app to open .pdf files', then click OK.
Thanks, I'll keep that in mind and hope Acrobat Reader DC is an option.
Regards,
hlewton

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

I just thought of something else. It seems that every time Windows updates it tries to get you to set Edge as your default browser. I don't want that and yet it forces you to click through a few pages before you can get rid of it. the only thing I haven't tried in order to get around this attempt by MS to use Edge is to use the Task Manager to close down the Edge window. Not sure that would work but may give it a try the next time and I'd bet MS makes sure there is a next time. Does Edge do this to you too?
Regards,
hlewton

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

No, Firefox remains set as my default browser.
Best wishes,
Hans

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

HansV wrote:
02 Aug 2020, 21:01
No, Firefox remains set as my default browser.
I hope mine remains that in the future. It always had stayed fixed until recently.
Regards,
hlewton

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

Another question I just thought of. You know the notification area on the taskbar that gives you messages and/or notifications, well lately for some reason, it says there are new mail items. Now my email client is Outlook but when I click on this notification to see what the new mail items are, it opens Edge. Is there any setting to make this quit doing that?
Regards,
hlewton

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Does Edge open to a particular page, or just to the Home page that you have set?
Best wishes,
Hans

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

HansV wrote:
02 Aug 2020, 21:58
Does Edge open to a particular page, or just to the Home page that you have set?
I can't answer that as far as where it opens when it says I have new mail. However, I just opened it now and I do not see a particular WEB page it open to. Please see attachment. It appears to be some news feed page because it has news items and my local weather but I do not see a URL to tell me where it is opening.
Edge.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards,
hlewton

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

That is just the New Tab page, not a specific web page.

I don't know what causes email notifications to start Edge. Are you sure that Outlook has been set as default email program in Start > Settings > Apps > Default Apps?

S3443.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Best wishes,
Hans

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

HansV wrote:
02 Aug 2020, 22:32
That is just the New Tab page, not a specific web page.

I don't know what causes email notifications to start Edge. Are you sure that Outlook has been set as default email program in Start > Settings > Apps > Default Apps?

S3443.png
I was positive because that is what I believe i set a long time ago. However, I just checked and it was set to Mail. I do know one thing for sure, I would never have done that but it is possible that Outlook wasn't set as the default email program since Windows technicians did a repair, install or whatever it is called on this computer. Outlook is set now, that is for sure. Thanks.
Regards,
hlewton

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

Once more, I checked my other computers and they are set correctly so I'm sure I messed up once again on this computer.
Regards,
hlewton

DaveA
GoldLounger

Post by DaveA »

I would say that "since Windows technicians did a repair" is the issue?

By the way, we have been using Outlook since version 95 and have never had to reset that default on any of our machines, even after installing the 2004 version on 6 machines.
I am so far behind, I think I am First :evilgrin:
Genealogy....confusing the dead and annoying the living

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

DaveA wrote:
03 Aug 2020, 14:51
I would say that "since Windows technicians did a repair" is the issue?

By the way, we have been using Outlook since version 95 and have never had to reset that default on any of our machines, even after installing the 2004 version on 6 machines.
I have been using Outlook that same amount of time and this was a first for me, but I do believe, somehow, the MS technician caused it to be so.
Regards,
hlewton

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

If you don't want the mail notifications go to Settings | System | Notifications and disable notifications for those apps you do not want to see.

If you want to check or change the defaults for an app go to Settings | Apps | Default apps. In the right pane click on the "Set defaults by app" link at the bottom. Then find you app. Click on it and them click "Manage". You'll see all the file types that app can handle and which app is currently assigned to handle it.
Joe

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

JoeP wrote:
03 Aug 2020, 20:26
If you don't want the mail notifications go to Settings | System | Notifications and disable notifications for those apps you do not want to see.

If you want to check or change the defaults for an app go to Settings | Apps | Default apps. In the right pane click on the "Set defaults by app" link at the bottom. Then find you app. Click on it and them click "Manage". You'll see all the file types that app can handle and which app is currently assigned to handle it.
Thank you.
Regards,
hlewton

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

Sorry I didn't report back and say I think the above suggestion worked for me.
Regards,
hlewton