Search Everything Query

AlanMiller
BronzeLounger

Search Everything Query

Post by AlanMiller »

I notice that some of my searches have arrowheads prepended to filenames, as below. This is not part of the filename itself - it appears to be a "feature" of Everything. Does anybody know what it's meant to mean? It does present a problem in trying to drag & drop from a search result, where the drop application might see the arrowhead as an illegal character.
2019-03-03_15-01-23.png
Alan
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Roderunner
5StarLounger

Re: Search Everything Query

Post by Roderunner »

Hi Alan, sorry I can't help. I prefer using Swiftsearch portable version.
Windows 11 Home 22H2

Regards,
George.

DaveA
GoldLounger

Post by DaveA »

I have tried many different searches and do not come up with any of the arrows.

I am running version 1.4.1.935 what version are you using?

NOTE: I see that the 2 that are in you image above one is a short cut to the other file (The Big Rip-...….)
Do you get any others?
I am so far behind, I think I am First :evilgrin:
Genealogy....confusing the dead and annoying the living

AlanMiller
BronzeLounger

Post by AlanMiller »

Deeper investigation shows that there are other .MP4 clips with names starting with ▶ . I can actually rename them from Everything, although the new names don't show up, even on a fresh search. But they have been renamed in their folders. It still means I can't drag & drop to some things from Everything, but easy enough to work around. Perhaps a bug in Version 1.4.1.922 (x86) ???

Thanks for your input.
Alan

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

Been using Everything for years and never seen those arrow heads? (Using 1.4.1.935 (x64)

Drag and drop to other locations is certainly possible from the Everything window. In actual fact all file management (context menu) options are available. If you do rename something in Everything, and it does not appear initially, just do a search immediately on the new name and it appears in the search results. If you still have problems locating it, then go to Tools > Options, select the Indexes item in the left of the dialog and choose "Force Rebuild" to re-index the app.
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.

AlanMiller
BronzeLounger

Post by AlanMiller »

The arrowheads are actually part of the file names. But Everything doesn't refresh the names when I change them ... maybe an indexing thing. The actual name change works - it just doesn't seem to show up immediately in Everything.

The drag/drop probably didn't work because the target application didn't like the arrowhead character in the filename. No real problem now though.

Alan