Foxit Reader 4.0 released

HansV
Administrator

Foxit Reader 4.0 released

Post by HansV »

A few days ago, version 4.0 of this small, fast and free alternative for the bloated Adobe PDF Reader was released.

Among the new features in this release is the ability to save as a text file (until now, you needed the registered version for that).

If you already have Foxit Reader 3.x, use Help | Check for Updates Now... to update.
Otherwise, get it from Foxit Reader 4.0 for Windows.

Note: take care to decline features that you don't want during installation (the full install offers the Ask toolbar and an Ebay button).
Best wishes,
Hans

John Gray
PlatinumLounger

Re: Foxit Reader 4.0 released

Post by John Gray »

Thanks, Hans for the warning - it is very sneaky and if you're in a rush it would be quite possible to install Stuff you really don't want. Advice - take it slowly and read everything...
John Gray

"(or one of the team)" - how your appointment letter indicates you won't be seeing the Consultant...

PaulB
BronzeLounger

Post by PaulB »

The Foxit Software site offers three versions of the download: a .zip, an .exe and an .msi... what are the differences, which should I download? (The .zip version contains an .exe file that is ~10 MB compared to the other two at about 6+ MB each???) Do the downloads include the Foxit Reader plug-in for Firefox or must this be downloaded/installed separately? :scratch:
Regards,
Paul

The pessimist complains about the wind. The optimist expects it to change. The realist adjusts his sails.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

The standard version is the .exe. Some people report that the .exe won't install with an insufficient permissions error -in that case the .msi may work.
I don't know about the .zip, perhaps it's for situations where downloading a .exe is not allowed.

The installation procedure prompts about the Firefox plugin, but I didn't look closely so I don't know if it was downloaded separately or included.
Best wishes,
Hans

John Gray
PlatinumLounger

Post by John Gray »

There's an interesting account of installing Foxit v4 here - make sure you also read the comments!
John Gray

"(or one of the team)" - how your appointment letter indicates you won't be seeing the Consultant...

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Thanks, John. Apparently, the .msi installer (which PaulB asked about) does not include the annoying extras such as the Ask toolbar.
Best wishes,
Hans

Gloria E
5StarLounger

Post by Gloria E »

HansV wrote:Thanks, John. Apparently, the .msi installer (which PaulB asked about) does not include the annoying extras such as the Ask toolbar.
Hans, I have Foxit Reader 4.0.0.0619. When I opened it to check for updates I can't get it to leave the screen. Had to use Task Manger to get it to close. Is something wrong with it or is there a trick to closing it that I don't know about?

It was stuck on the about page.

Gloria E
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive & well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, red wine in the other, body thoroughly used up. Totally worn out & screaming "Wow, Wee What a ride!

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Checking for updates has recently been slow, so the dialog may remain on your screen for a while; it should eventually be replaced by the dialog listing the available updates. If not, you should be able to click Cancel.
x218.png
You have the latest version, by the way.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Best wishes,
Hans

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

HansV wrote:Thanks, John. Apparently, the .msi installer (which PaulB asked about) does not include the annoying extras such as the Ask toolbar.
FWIW I got an error with the MSI. I downloaded it, got the error, deleted and re d/l and got the same error.
(wanders off to try the exe ...)
1.JPG
For What It's Also Worth, the EXE installed quickly. I noted the caveats listed in posts above.
2.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
There's nothing heavier than an empty water bottle

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Apparently, different users experience different problems...
Best wishes,
Hans

Goshute
3StarLounger

Post by Goshute »

I can confirm that I installed the msi with no problems and that it doesn't include unwantedware.
Goshute
I float in liquid gardens

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

Goshute wrote:...it doesn't include unwantedware.
What a lovely, polite, term. Very much in keeping with the approach of the lounge.
StuartR

PaulB
BronzeLounger

Post by PaulB »

I downloaded all three files and installed the .exe version, un-ticking the 'unwantedware'. For what it's worth, I have the Foxit Reader Plugin for Mozilla version 1.0.1.1117 installed, though I do not know if this is a carryover from a previous install or the result of the current install. Can anyone confirm this is the current plugin? Also, I'm curious why the size of the FoxitReader40_enu_Setup.exe downloaded file is 6,891KB while the size of the expanded .zip file (Foxit Reader.exe) is 10,023KB. Could this be a portable version of Foxit Reader?
Regards,
Paul

The pessimist complains about the wind. The optimist expects it to change. The realist adjusts his sails.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

1.0.1.1117 is the current version of the Firefox plugin. You can check from time to time for newer versions using Help | Check for updates now...

The zip file is indeed the portable version: no installation required, just unzip the .exe and run it.
Best wishes,
Hans

PaulB
BronzeLounger

Post by PaulB »

Thank you, Hans.
Regards,
Paul

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

HansV wrote:Note: ...(the full install offers the Ask toolbar and an Ebay button).
Dilbert
There's nothing heavier than an empty water bottle

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Amazingly appropriate...
Best wishes,
Hans