Free Freemake video downloader

Dave Davison
SilverLounger

Re: Free Freemake video downloader

Post by Dave Davison »

Hi Alan..........for conversion of videos I have used ConvertXtoDVD for over 15 years having bought my first version way back in 2002 from a UK mag called Computer Active which was offering it at a discounted price special offer. Last year their latest version was launched which -besides merging videos into one file - also allows for editing out sections that are not wanted like the branding I mentioned that Freemake tags on to both ends of the video at the download point. Compared to Freemake downloader, You Tube Downloader is much quicker and free so no need to fork out your hard earned cash. Woody Leonard https://www.askwoody.com/ reckons there is little need to pay for much of the software needed as free versions are plentiful & adequate even Antivirus progs. :cheers:

Doc.AElstein
BronzeLounger

Post by Doc.AElstein »

Thanks for the info Dave. I will check that Woody Leonard site out.
One small point: I beg to differ on the idea of there being any adequate virus protection anywhere. It is my opinion that many of the best computer experts choose to demonstrate and practice their skills with viruses and the such. So the best virus protection software is always that one step behind, in my opinion. Hence my recent experiments with being confident in restoring/resetting my computer.. I expect “wiping the slate clean” is the best virus protection, or rather alternative to. Many Computer experts tell me that they do that routinely…and virus protection they say has pros and cons for them – it blocks some viruses but often causes other problems on their computer. So they will often not bother and just do the “wipe clean” instead periodically. And of course, they have a very good and well organised plan of backing up of files/ personal data. They minimise downloading, and mostly install from hard copies, such as disks, which unfortunately are provided less and less with new software and new computers Operating systems these days…

_.....

I think I used the You Tube downloader once or twice some time ago when one of the other downloader/converter that I use for some strange reason would occasionally fail to download a particular video. So once again it is good to have a few alternatives.
I think I have usually been able to download any of the learn videos I have wanted one way or another up until now.
I think in that other Thread , http://www.eileenslounge.com/viewtopic. ... 46#p196446" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; , we also saw that we could crop off the branding on a Freemake downloaded video easily with the scissors icon in Any Video Converter. But the version of that Any Video Converter converter I have of that on my old computer downloads automatically any video when you drag or paste in for converting anyway. It does that very quickly. It has no branding on any video it ends up with. So currently I am using that. I drag in the downloaded file or paste in the URL copied from the Browser URL bar. I do that for loads of videos, if any of the pasted in URLs fail to download, then I download them with one of the other downloaders, and drag that downloaded file in instead. After I have a long list, I hit the convert button and away it goes .. ( occasionally it starts automatically once all it currently has is downloaded , but you can keep adding URLs or dragging in Files, and it will get around to downloading and / or converting all of them eventually

_.....

Hope you got through the crash of your old computer last month. . I am trying to offset the dangers of that with doing two things, both
_a) getting a new computer ( actually an older one, refurbished with a newly installed operating system etc.. ),
and
_b) also getting well clued up on how to fully back up, and restore/ and reset the thing from scratch. ( “Wiping it clean” https://www.excelforum.com/the-water-co ... onths.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; )
http://www.eileenslounge.com/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=28618" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I had a few set backs and am back to my old trusty Vista Acer Aspire 4810TZG Laptop for a while, which incidentally broke also fatally once… but somehow a dealer managed to do some sort of 1 to 1 copy of the stuff on the broken C: drive and it came back to life with a new C: drive and had virtually all the old stuff on it, including all the old Video downloading and converting stuff.

If I manage to get my new computer running confidently and consistently, then I expect I will be trying to get Video downloading and converting things on it. If I think I have anything useful to share about that , then I will post back here or in the Sub Forum, Graphics and Video Software, http://www.eileenslounge.com/viewforum.php?f=39" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Frohe Third Advent to you and all!
Alan

P.S. Perhaps an Important point: I always decline the invitation to update, even if it is just an update to the free version. Possibly that is a good idea. If I updated the free version, then I might find I end up with a version that no longer does something like downloading or, as you found, limits the size of something…
And.. also in doing the update, it would , I expect, wipe out those original Program files which I was able to use to fiddle a new downloaded version in order to make it work like the older version.
So …. If it ain’t broke, Don’t try and fix it!!.. lol. !! …unfortunately when the computer breaks you don’t always have a lot of choice!!
I am having difficulty logging in with this account just now.
You can find me at DocAElstein also

Dave Davison
SilverLounger

Post by Dave Davison »

Hi Alan....the Woody Leonard link I gave -if searched- will bring up this link about (what he believes)are unnecessary -paid for - AV. Here is the actual article. https://windowssecrets.com/top-story/do ... ed-part-2/ part one is just an introduction. What you said earlier about being slow because you were unaware that Free-make Converter also downloaded registers with me because I was not aware of that feature. What is the sequence of moves? :xgrin: Dave.

Doc.AElstein
BronzeLounger

Windows Secrets......and other stuff

Post by Doc.AElstein »

Hi Dave,
Thanks again for the info
I think I will try and catch up with some of Woody Leonard’s articles, I expect I will glean some good info. Maybe he has advice on the Restoring / Resetting / Backup issue which I am currently interested in learning about. ( It looks like another guy, Fred Langa, has a lot to say on that issue )

The Registry issue I touched on very briefly once when discussing CClean ( http://www.eileenslounge.com/viewtopic. ... 70#p193067" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ). I read that last article at the link you gave, and Woody seems to agree with my suggestion that really it’s rarely worth the effort of removing redundant registry entries. He makes the comment that software that possibly did have some useful effect, can as time goes on, cause problems. Sounds like it is best not to dabble with these things unless you really
_a) Know what you are doing
and
_b) are in a position , for example as a result of your job if you are a computer Profi ( which I am certainly not ) , to be able to keep up with the latest stand, as things and the usefulness of such software changes.
_...

Anyway, hopefully I will take the plunge soon and reinstall an Operating system, ( I assume all registries vanish then, as does just about everything other than the simple “start up” software that I believe is held somewhere separately and kept “alive” with a small battery even when the power is disconnected …. )
I am practicing a few things on a Windows 7 computer borrowed from my Father-In-Law just now, as my new one is still of for repair after it died in the middle of my experiments…. My Father in laws machine has a very small C: drive and frequently “goes into the red”. It has got itself into a bit of a vicious circle: it is so close to full that the various options for cleaning, restoring, resetting etc., ( other than re – installing the Operation system ) , usually wont work – when you try, it complains that it does not have enough memory on the C: drive to do anything!!

The history of the machine is not too well known: a previous neighbour cobbled it together for him. It seems to strangely have a lot of extra hard drives in it other than the C: Drive: This is a snapshot I made of the computer on one of its “good days”, having a few hundred MB of space.
https://imgur.com/gfwE7bL" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Usually it fills up its C: Drive for no reason I can understand, even when I am doing nothing to it. It frequently warns that the computer is about to “die” as it only has a few KB of space left on the C: drive.
I have been de installing the little stuff it has on the C: drive and reinstalling that stuff on one of the other hard drives. That sometimes works. Other times it fails, once again complaining that there is not enough memory on the C: Drive. I expect for some reason an instillation of any software always needs some memory on the main C: Drive even when you are installing on another drive. I expect that may be part of the reason why my “Fiddle” to get new software on a new computer working like the previous version also needed a download and instillation of the new version first: presumably some things had to be done on the C: Drive of the new computer to “call” the program files which I then swapped for the old ones from the old computer , ( and which I incidentally chose in the instillation to be on one of the other drives )

Oh well, slowly I am getting somewhere, and learning some interesting … “Windows Secrets” !! :)

Alan
I am having difficulty logging in with this account just now.
You can find me at DocAElstein also